Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: source address woes
Special Forums IP Networking source address woes Post 33181 by RTM on Wednesday 18th of December 2002 03:41:06 PM
Old 12-18-2002
Quote:
I want to add a route to a machine in france (194.222.222.222). It will need to go out of interface hme0 and be routed to france via a router which sits on the internal lan (172.19.12.4) So the packets I send out should have a source address of 172.19.12.58 (hme0), which the french network understands and can route back to. I used command

route add -host 194.222.222.222 172.19.12.4
Kelam is correct about your broadcast...and I'll add that netmasks can mess you up to.

As far as the command you have - you don't specify going out hme0. Since you don't, it takes the default route (from qfe0). Your snoop shows that the ping is going from
Quote:
12:42:28.54070 195.111.222.178 -> 194.222.222.222 ICMP Echo request
(even though you snooped hme0...that part is confusing me)

I believe one of the following will work (although your netmask and broadcast can still mess you up):
route add 194.222.222.222 172.19.12.58 0
OR
route add net 194.222.222.0 172.19.12.58 0

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. IP Networking

set the source IP address to zero

Hi, does anybody know how to set the IP source address of an IP packet to be zero? The problem is that when you create a raw socket and set the IP_HDRINCL socket option, if you put the ip_src address to zero (INADDR_ANY) the kernel will automatically set the source address to the primary IP address... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: developer
2 Replies

2. Solaris

Remote CD woes

Good Day, I've remotely mounted a cdrom (no problems theere). The kicker is I can see the directories on the remote CD bout I can't see the files. What am I doing wrong? I'm logged in as root on both systems. All the permissions seem okay - what am I missing? Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: greg69
2 Replies

3. Solaris

pkgadd woes

Morning all, I am attempting to load a package from a Solaris 8 CDROM. This fails with the error : "pkgadd: ERROR: unable to access pkgmap file </cdrom/ .........../SUNWlibC/pkgmap> No changes were made to the system" Any help would be appreciated Andy (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: AndyD
6 Replies

4. IP Networking

Selecting interface based on source and destination ip address

Hi all, I have some doubts in selecting the interface to transfer packets and receive the packets. --> Multiple interfaces : -------------------- 1) 0.0.0.0 --------> wild card address. 2) x.x.x.x --------> valid address.(192.168.1.156) 3) ff.ff.ff.ff -------->... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: vijaypdp2006
0 Replies

5. Solaris

Locale woes

Greetings Forumers! I've been fighting a locale problem on a v490 running Solaris 10 u4 (8/07). When I login to the system, I get several "locale" error messages: user1's password: Last login: Wed May 26 2010 09:14:13 -0400 from system1 You have mail. couldn't set locale correctly couldn't... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: bluescreen
0 Replies

6. Solaris

ping with source address

Hello, is there any way to ping with source address on Solaris ? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: marmellata
3 Replies

7. IP Networking

iproute2 loopback source address

Hi, I'm trying to set up a test bed where I can use a single machine to do some network packet captures between 2 different applications without needing a network connection. I'm actually trying to do some SIP VoIP development, but for illustration purposes will use ping. I want: ping 127.0.0.1... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: racitup
0 Replies

8. IP Networking

Source IP address field in RREP on DSR routing

Hello I have a question about routing in MANET using Dynamic Source Routing protocol. IN RFC4728 (DSR) in section "IP fields" of RREP (Route Reply) packet we have this: ok. I read in several books and also in rfc4728 that: when a source node (node that initiate route discovery process)... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: acu281
1 Replies

9. AIX

Samba Woes

Hi all With the recent virus attacks we have been tasked with upgrading Samba to a "secure" version. Currently running 3.0.29a and looking to put the latest version down 4.6.5. Being a lazy bod I have only ever installed this, a long time ago, when you could get it in BFF filesets. Have... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: splattty
6 Replies
install-solaris(1M)													       install-solaris(1M)

NAME
install-solaris - install the Solaris operating system SYNOPSIS
install-solaris install-solaris invokes the Solaris Install program. Depending on graphical capability and available memory at the time of invocation, install-solaris invokes either a text-based installer or a graphical installer. The following minimum requirements for physical memory dictate which features are available during installation: For SPARC machines: 128 MB Minimum physical memory for all installation types 128 MB Minimum physical memory required for windowing system 384 MB Minimum physical memory required for graphical-based installation For x86 machines: 256 MB Minimum physical memory for all installation types 256 MB Minimum physical memory required for windowing system 512 MB Minimum physical memory required for graphical-based installation In some cases, even if the minimum physical memory is present, available virtual memory after system startup can limit the number of fea- tures available. install-solaris exists only on the Solaris installation media (CD or DVD) and should be invoked only from there. Refer to the for more details. install-solaris allows installation of the operating system onto any standalone system. install-solaris loads the software available on the installation media. Refer to the for disk space requirements. Refer to the for more information on the various menus and selections. See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcdrom (Solaris instal- | | |lation media) | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Evolving | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ pkginfo(1), install(1M), pkgadd(1M), attributes(5) It is advisable to exit install-solaris by means of the exit options in the install-solaris menus. 23 Sep 2005 install-solaris(1M)