Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Any Professional Help me in this ? Post 33050 by abidmalik on Sunday 15th of December 2002 12:32:39 AM
Old 12-15-2002
Any Professional Help me in this ?

Hello

Here i got a problem, i bought new 40GB hard disk today, i made it as Primary Slave, No when i install Solaris, it says disk need fdisk to make solaris partition, but it does not say which disk need partition, i mean i have two disks, how i suppose to know which disk this will partition, may be my primary disk, is there anyway i can format my D drive with solaris or unix so that it will not go for C drive, or how solaris will distingush which drive to format.

6 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Windows XP Professional and FreeBSD

From FreeBSD how could I access files/directories in my Windows XP machine (networked) Is there any program in FreeBSD/Unix that I could use to emulate/control my Windows XP machine and what do I need to enable or install in my Windows XP machine (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: charlie499
6 Replies

2. Post Here to Contact Site Administrators and Moderators

Professional moderator

Hi there! I liked your forum so much! I'm a professional moderator and I would like to moderate your forum or any part of it. If you are interested in this idea, please apply to me on my e-mail. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: SoulFly
5 Replies

3. Programming

Professional advice on my project

Hi guys, I'm pretty much a newbie to C.I need professional advice on my project.I'm supposed to write a program to scan a directory for .exe files and list them if any and also subsequently scan the subfolders for the same and so on... Any advice on how to do it would be gladly accepted.... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rakesh_01
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Who actually wrote Professional Linux Programming ?

Hello, Who actually wrote Professional Linux Programming of Wrox publication as there are two different sets of writers, one set consists of Jon Masters and Richard Blum and another set of writers is Neil Mathew with lots of other writers. Plz resolve it. I'm really confused. Regards.. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: vectrum
0 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

The professional way to use chmod ?

Oracle Linux 6.4 with bash Question from a beginner To change permissions using chmod, I can use 2 methods. Since I don't know the terminology, I am calling them Method1 and Method2. In the below example, both Method1 and Method2 do the same thing. Which one is you favourite method ? #... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: omega3
5 Replies

6. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

I'll be a professional MOTIF GUI programmer.

I'll be a professional MOTIF GUI programmer. And nothing will stop me. Nothing. :) (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sennenmut
5 Replies
FDISK(8)						      System Manager's Manual							  FDISK(8)

NAME
fdisk - partition a hard disk [IBM] SYNOPSIS
fdisk [-hm] [-sn] [file] OPTIONS
-h Number of disk heads is m -s Number of sectors per track is n EXAMPLES
fdisk /dev/hd0 # Examine disk partitions fdisk -h9 /dev/hd0 # Examine disk with 9 heads DESCRIPTION
When fdisk starts up, it reads in the partition table and displays it. It then presents a menu to allow the user to modify partitions, store the partition table on a file, or load it from a file. Partitions can be marked as MINIX, DOS or other, as well as active or not. Using fdisk is self-explanatory. However, be aware that repartitioning a disk will cause information on it to be lost. Rebooting the sys- tem immediately is mandatory after changing partition sizes and parameters. MINIX, XENIX, PC-IX, and MS-DOS all have different partition numbering schemes. Thus when using multiple systems on the same disk, be careful. Note that MINIX, unlike MS-DOS , cannot access the last sector in a partition with an odd number of sectors. The reason that odd partition sizes do not cause a problem with MS-DOS is that MS-DOS allocates disk space in units of 512-byte sectors, whereas MINIX uses 1K blocks. Fdisk has a variety of other features that can be seen by typing h. Fdisk normally knows the geometry of the device by asking the driver. You can use the -h and -s options to override the numbers found. SEE ALSO
part(8). FDISK(8)