Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Keeping vars set in while loop with redirection Post 32656 by criglerj on Tuesday 3rd of December 2002 09:44:39 AM
Old 12-03-2002
Error Update: It CAN work in Bourne shell

Smilie Actually, it can work in the Bourne shell. The mistake I made was to use the same variable for loop control and as the result. Specifically, the "exec" version works fine if reading a different variable than you're looking for at the end:
Code:
#!/bin/bsh
k=1
exec <file
while read kr ; do
    k="$kr"
done
exec <&-
echo "$k"

I guess it has something to do with not having a syntactic redirection into the while loop. When the final read "fails" at EOF, then $kr isn't set, but since $k was set, it comes through intact. Can anyone confirm or deny?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Input redirection and for loop

Hello, I need help with a bash script that I try to improve. I could not find answer so far, maybe because I'm not to familiar with the terminology so feel free to correct my language. I have a script that looks like: NODES="node_a node_b node_c" for NODE in $NODES do ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: pn8830
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

set variable in while loop?

Dear All, Can anyone advise why this script isn't run as expected? =========================== status=0 cat /etc/passwd | while read line; do status=1 done echo $status =========================== it always return 0 , but not 1. why? anything wrong? Thanks. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: tiger2000
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Set lines of in a file to seperate vars

In a bash script, I'm looking for a way to set each matching line of a file into its own variable, or variable array. As an example, i have a crontab file with several entries: 00 23 * * * /usr/local/bin/msqlupdate -all 00 11 * * * /usr/local/bin/msqlupdate -inc 00 03 * * *... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lochraven
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Set vars (by reference) in function

Hello everyone, I am curious to find a possible way of doing something like this in ksh: call a function and have that function set the value of the variable that the function knows by the name of $1.... example: #! /bin/ksh set_var(){ case $1 in var1) this is where I would like to... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: gio001
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Set/Export Env Vars from with Shell Script With Input Variable

I have a shell script I want to run that will set environment variables based on the value of an input variable submitted when the shell script is called. For example: $ mgenv.sh prod This would set environment variables for prod $ mgenv.sh test This would set environment variables... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: brtaylor73
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl - pass shell-vars into perl for input loop

I need to process a file line-by-line using some value from a shell variable Something like:perl -p -e 's/$shell_srch/$shell_replace/g' input.txt I can't make the '-s' work in the '-p' or '-n' input loop (or couldn't find a syntaxis.) I have searched and found... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: alex_5161
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Set variables from file, then loop

Hello, I am very, very new to shell scripting, but what I'm attempting to do is read in a list of user ID's to create on a database system from a CSV flat file, and for each entry run the "create user" script. I've gotten pretty far but I'm having trouble with the looping mechanism.... Any... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: jkarren
8 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

use variable to set the range of a for loop

Hi; For sure there's an easy answer to this one that I am not finding.. I first set a variable, say b1a:] max=5 then I want to use max to set the range for a for loop like so (it should run for i in 1:5) b1a:] for i in {1..$max}; do echo $i; done {1..5} I would like the output... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jbr950
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How can I set up this loop?

I want to compare two files. I think using grep is the way to go but I do not know how to set this up. Let me show an example: File1 has 1000 items, File2 has 700 items I need to take the first item in File1 and search the entire contents of File2 to see if there is a match there. IF there is a... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: castrojc
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

For loop output redirection

Hi All, i have below for loop of which i am trying to redirect output in a file: for i in `/usr/sbin/ifconfig -a | awk '/flags/ {print $1}' | grep -v lo | sed 's/://g'` do ifconfig $i dhcp status done >> /tmp/logfile but instead the output is appearing as stdout on screen rather than... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: omkar.jadhav
12 Replies