Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Include files
Top Forums Programming Include files Post 3223 by Neo on Tuesday 26th of June 2001 11:33:52 PM
Old 06-27-2001
The symbols in your post are not normally found in include files because they are object code. These are found in library files, not include files. Include files are normally text files that include macro definitions, data structure defs, variable defs, etc. (text based) that is included before compile time.<P>
Object code has been compiled for the specific architecture you are working in and those objects need to be linked using a linker, normally done after the main code base is compiled. To find the object code, you need to know the library archives that contains the object code. There are many ways to do the detective work to find these objects. One way is to simply run a command like 'strings' against the library files and grep for the objects you seek. There are many other ways to search for lost objects Smilie

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to include external files in tcsh

Hello Simple question about tcsh , i like to make external file that some tcsh script will read from him var=="some value" how can i make the include in tcsh files? Thanks (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: umen
0 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

include all files under a directory

I want to include all the subnet files under /etc/dhcpd/ to /etc/dhcpd.conf so here is my content of dhcpd.conf ... include "/etc/dhcpd/*"; however, the check-syntax reports syntax error, as they do not recognize the wildcard *, and display that " file /etc/dhcpd/* could not be found. ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: fredao
4 Replies

3. Programming

gcc does not include certain .h-files

Hi there! gcc seems not to include available files, see below: What should I do? Look forward to your reply/replies! Thanks Grahamb In the source directory I enter: #gcc -Wall -I/usr/include ./gtkdaq.c > ./out.log 2>&1 Response: In file included from ./gtkdaq.c:3:... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: grahamb
2 Replies

4. Solaris

Compilation - unable to finding include files

Hey there, This is gotta be a stupid question, if there ever was one, but I am learning a lot by asking such questions. Now I am trying to build this humungous library, which has all kinds a dependencies, which I realize as it makes, and i download all those dependent libs. The compilation is... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shriyer123
1 Replies

5. Solaris

include files

Our admin has upgraded our OS solaris system to 5.11 but no more I can compile any trivial or non-trivial code. I'm trying to compile a trivial c++ program(a Helloworld program) but It gives error indicating that include files do not exist (in this trivial case <stdio.h>), it starts compiling but... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Newsha
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

linux include files

what is the relationship between /usr/include/sys/*.h and /usr/include/unistd.h ? Fuctions in unistd.h are syscalls. Do the fuctions in sys/*.h call syscalls? (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: vistastar
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

include file name to extracted files

I've written the script below to merge only .txt files that exist in one directory into one huge .txt file and ignore other files with other extensions. now the result is one huge .txt file with all the contents of other .txt files how can i add a File Name as a comment before each file? ... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: miss_dodi
12 Replies

8. HP-UX

How do I include header files outside of my current directory

I am trying to compile a file called PPFormatageMUT.c in which I have included header file which are at some other location but the point is that while compiling the file, it is throwing error saying that error : no such file or directory source code location:... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ezee
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using Grep Include/Exclude Files

I wrote this korn script and ran into a hole. I can use find to exclude all the hidden directories and to use my include file/exclude files for running a full backup find / -depth -ipath '/home/testuser/.*' -prune -o -print| grep -f include.mydirs | grep -v -f exclude.mydirs but when I... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: metallica1973
8 Replies

10. Programming

Include files

I have an implementation file tomog.cpp that implements a class called Tomog where I need to include its header file which resides in another place. How can I best specify the include file? I would not like to do #include "../../tomso/tomography/tomog.hpp" I wish to do instead ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kristinu
3 Replies
ctags(1)						      General Commands Manual							  ctags(1)

Name
       ctags - create a tags file

Syntax
       ctags [options] name...

Description
       The command makes a tags file for from the specified C, Pascal and Fortran sources.

A tags file gives the locations of specified objects (in this case functions and typedefs) in a group of files.	Each line of the tags file
       contains the object name, the file in which it is defined, and an address specification for the object definition.  Functions are  searched
       with a pattern, typedefs with a line number.  Specifiers are given in separate fields on the line, separated by blanks or tabs.

Using the tags file, can quickly find these objects definitions.

If  the	-x  flag  is  given,  writes  to standard output a list containing each object name, its line number, the file name in which it is
       defined, and the text of the line.  This list is a simple index which can be printed out as an off-line readable function index.

Options
       -a		   Appends information to an existing tags file.

-B		   Uses backward search patterns (?...?).

-F		   Uses forward search patterns (/.../) (default).

-t		   Creates typedef tags.

-u		   Updates the specified tags file.  All references to tags are deleted, and the new values  are  appended  to	the  file.
			   Note  that  this  option is implemented in a way which is rather slow.  It is usually faster to simply rebuild the tags
			   file.)

The tag main is treated specially in C programs.  The tag formed is created by prepending M to the name  of	the  file,
			   with  a  trailing  .c  removed,  if	any, and leading pathname components also removed.  This makes use of practical in
			   directories with more than one program.

-v		   Generates an index listing function name, file name, and pages number.  Since the output will be  sorted  into  lexico-
			   graphic order, it may be desired to run the output through sort -f.	For example,
			   ctags -v files | sort -f > index
			   Files  whose  name  ends  in .c or .h are assumed to be C source files and are searched for C routine and macro defini-
			   tions.  Others are first examined to see if they contain any Pascal or Fortran routine definitions; if  not,  they  are
			   processed again looking for C definitions.

-w		   Suppresses warning diagnostics and generates a listing file.  This list contains each object name, its line number, the
			   file name in which it is defined, and the text of the line, and is identical to the list produced when no  options  are
			   given.

-x		   Writes  to  standard  output a list containing each object name, its line number, the file name in whcih it is defined,
			   and the text of the line.

Restrictions
       Recognition of functions, subroutines and procedures for FORTRAN and Pascal do not deal with block structure.  Therefore  you  cannot  have
       two Pascal procedures in different blocks with the same name.

Does not know about #ifdefs.

Does  not know about Pascal types.  Relies on the input being well formed to detect typedefs.  Use of -tx shows only the last line of type-
       defs.

Files
       tags	 output tags file

See Also
       ex(1), vi(1)

ctags(1)