Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: read system call
Top Forums Programming read system call Post 31993 by Madhu Babu on Saturday 16th of November 2002 05:08:07 AM
Old 11-16-2002
read system call

When i read 4 bytes from a socket the read function returns 0 value. what does it mean?
How should i know whether a message is available in the socket or not?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

how to differentiate system call from library call

Hi, Ho do I differentiate system call from library call? for example if I am using chmod , how do I find out if it is a system call or library call? Thanks Muru (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: muru
2 Replies

2. Programming

c system call

How the c compiler differentiates the system calls and function calls? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rangaswamy
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

system call

Hi, How to write a system calls in a script ? > cd $HOME > ls -ltr thanks in advance.. (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: hegdeshashi
10 Replies

4. Programming

C:system call

Hi I'm studing the system call. I've written a small program that return the time spent in doing some operations. Now I'd like to write one that return the time spent in user mode of a process. I'm reading that i should use the tms struct: clock_t times(struct tms *buf); struct tms {... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Dedalus
2 Replies

5. SCO

file system not getting mounted in read write mode after system power failure

After System power get failed File system is not getting mounted in read- write mode (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gtkpmbpl
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Problem in read() system call in Xenomai-2.4

Dear All, I am having problem with read() system call in Blocking Mode. In my driver interrupt intimation done through RT FIFO. so i have created the RT FIFO and open the FIFO using open() system call with O_RDONLY flag and i am waiting for interrupt using read() blocking call.initally... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rajamohan
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

read system call reading the same data

Hi, I wrote a program, to read from a master terminal. However, the 'read' system call keeps returning the same data endlessly (I expected it to read once and then block). What will cause t data to be flushed, after 1 read? #include <stdio.h> #include <string.h> #include <sys/types.h>... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: karthikb23
1 Replies

8. Programming

system call

I have a cgi script which is called after certain time interval, which has this: system ("ls -l /tmp/cgic* | grep -v \"cgicsave.env\" | awk '{print $5}'"); During the execution of this script,the output is 0 sometimes. But due to this the system call is not working at all and doesnt o/p... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: xs2punit
2 Replies

9. Programming

need help with system call

hi everyone i wrote a system call and compiled the kernel succesfully... my system call is in a file in the kernel folder named my_syscall1.c (kernel/my_syscall1.c) the header file for this system call i added it in the folder include like this include/my_syscall1/my_syscall1.h my problem is... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: demis87
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

system call

Trying to figure out a load issue with a webserver. I have traced a php script and noticed the following connect(4, {sa_family=AF_INET, sin_port=htons(3306), sin_addr=inet_addr("XX.XX.XX.XX")}, 16) = -1 EINPROGRESS (Operation now in progress) <0.000035> poll(, 1, 2000) = 1 () <0.000120>... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: rajan007
5 Replies
BIO_s_socket(3) 						      OpenSSL							   BIO_s_socket(3)

NAME
BIO_s_socket, BIO_new_socket - socket BIO SYNOPSIS
#include <openssl/bio.h> BIO_METHOD *BIO_s_socket(void); long BIO_set_fd(BIO *b, int fd, long close_flag); long BIO_get_fd(BIO *b, int *c); BIO *BIO_new_socket(int sock, int close_flag); DESCRIPTION
BIO_s_socket() returns the socket BIO method. This is a wrapper round the platform's socket routines. BIO_read() and BIO_write() read or write the underlying socket. BIO_puts() is supported but BIO_gets() is not. If the close flag is set then the socket is shut down and closed when the BIO is freed. BIO_set_fd() sets the socket of BIO b to fd and the close flag to close_flag. BIO_get_fd() places the socket in c if it is not NULL, it also returns the socket. If c is not NULL it should be of type (int *). BIO_new_socket() returns a socket BIO using sock and close_flag. NOTES
Socket BIOs also support any relevant functionality of file descriptor BIOs. The reason for having separate file descriptor and socket BIOs is that on some platforms sockets are not file descriptors and use distinct I/O routines, Windows is one such platform. Any code mixing the two will not work on all platforms. BIO_set_fd() and BIO_get_fd() are macros. RETURN VALUES
BIO_s_socket() returns the socket BIO method. BIO_set_fd() always returns 1. BIO_get_fd() returns the socket or -1 if the BIO has not been initialized. BIO_new_socket() returns the newly allocated BIO or NULL is an error occurred. SEE ALSO
TBA 0.9.7a 2000-10-19 BIO_s_socket(3)