Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers disaster recover w/tar & find Post 31902 by jeremiebarber on Thursday 14th of November 2002 02:39:19 PM
Old 11-14-2002
I have found the reason for the big time difference between the two commands. If I increase the block-size parameter on the "find" method it takes about 45 minutes to do the backup.

new command:
find / /boot /home -mount -path '/proc' -prune -o -print | cpio -ovc -O /dev/st0 --block-size=40

per NEO, I am in the process of comparing the LILO configuration files to determine if something is causing problems there.

Thanks for all the advice.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find & tar execution problem

I'm trying to set up a stanard sh script that will find all the files that have been changed within the last day and then tar them up. I think the command line should be something like : find /home/bob -atime +0 -exec \ tar cvf /home/bob/files.tar {}\; Help please ... Thanx (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ianf
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

tar & Grep together

Hi, I've got dozens of tar's with two files in each one, live_access_log & live_error_log (one tar for each day, backups). The probelm is i need to match a pattern in all of the archive_access_log files and output the line to a seperate file (All_access.log). I.e. I need to get details... (21 Replies)
Discussion started by: tom123
21 Replies

3. Solaris

Tar & Tape drive without media

Hi all, I would like to know what would happen if the tape (media) is not placed on the drive and a tar command is executed to backup on the tape. My problem is that tar command hanged for multiple days instead of throwing the error, Is it valid behaviour? I was unable to test the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jmsathish
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

tar -cvf test.tar `find . -mtime -1 -type f` only tar 1 file

Hi all, 4 files are returned when i issue 'find . -mtime -1 -type f -ls'. ./ora_475244.aud ./ora_671958.aud ./ora_934052.aud ./ora_934050.aud However, when I issued the below command: tar -cvf test.tar `find . -mtime -1 -type f`, the tar file only contains the 1st file -... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ahSher
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find & Replace string in multiple files & folders using perl

find . -type f -name "*.sql" -print|xargs perl -i -pe 's/pattern/replaced/g' this is simple logic to find and replace in multiple files & folders Hope this helps. Thanks Zaheer (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Zaheer.mic
0 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using Grep & find & while read line in a script

Hello people! I would like to create one script following this stage I have one directory with 100 files File001 File002 ... File100 (This is the format of content of the 100 files) 2012/03/10 12:56:50:221875936 1292800448912 12345 0x00 0x04 0 then I have one... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Abv_mx81
0 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

help with tar & zip only last months(say,Sep) files

Need to 1. archive all the files in a directory from the previous month into a tar/gz file, ignoring all already archived 'tar.gz' files 2. Check created .tar.gz file isnt corrupted and has all the required files in it. and then remove the original files. I am using a function to get the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Prev
1 Replies

8. AIX

AIX & TAR related stuff

This thread is about using tar & other compression utilities on AIX ; 1. Find out which version of tar you are using thanks to bakunin >what $(which tar) /usr/bin/tar: 61 1.14 src/bos/usr/ccs/lib/libc/__threads_init.c, libcthrd, bos53 0 7/11/00 12:04:14 10 ... (21 Replies)
Discussion started by: filosophizer
21 Replies

9. Solaris

UNIX : how can I recover a corrupt tar file from a tape?

I've a tape contains a corrupt tar file. I'm using Unix SunOS 5.5.1. So when I run this command : dd if=/dev/rmt/0 of=/tmp/outputfile.tar I get this error message : warning /pci@1f, 0/pci@1/pci@1/sunw, isptwo@4/st@4,0 (sty): Error for command : read Error Level: Fatal Requested... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: akaderb
2 Replies
FIND(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   FIND(1)

NAME
find - find files meeting a given condition SYNOPSIS
find directory expression EXAMPLES
find / -name a.out -print # Print all a.out paths find /usr/ast ! -newer f -ok rm {} ; # Ask before removing find /usr -size +20 -exec mv {} /big ; # move files > 20 blks find / -name a.out -o -name '*.o' -exec rm {}; # 2 conds DESCRIPTION
Find descends the file tree starting at the given directory checking each file in that directory and its subdirectories against a predi- cate. If the predicate is true, an action is taken. The predicates may be connected by -a (Boolean and), -o (Boolean or) and ! (Boolean negation). Each predicate is true under the conditions specified below. The integer n may also be +n to mean any value greater than n, -n to mean any value less than n, or just n for exactly n. -name s true if current filename is s (include shell wild cards) -size n true if file size is n blocks -inum n true if the current file's i-node number is n -mtime ntrue if modification time relative to today (in days) is n -links ntrue if the number of links to the file is n -newer ftrue if the file is newer than f -perm n true if the file's permission bits = n (n is in octal) -user u true if the uid = u (a numerical value, not a login name) -group gtrue if the gid = g (a numerical value, not a group name) -type x where x is bcdfug (block, char, dir, regular file, setuid, setgid) -xdev do not cross devices to search mounted file systems Following the expression can be one of the following, telling what to do when a file is found: -print print the file name on standard output -exec execute a MINIX command, {} stands for the file name -ok prompts before executing the command SEE ALSO
test(1), xargs(1). FIND(1)