Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: fork() and dup()
Top Forums Programming fork() and dup() Post 31753 by AkumaTay on Wednesday 13th of November 2002 02:25:07 AM
Old 11-13-2002
fork() and dup()

I have met this code:

switch(fork()) {

case 0:
close(1);
dup(p[1]);
close(p[0]);
close(p[1]);
execvp(<whatever>);
perror("Exec failed");
}

Can anyone tell me what this piece of code does?
Thx alot..

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

dup()

Would anyone be so kind to explain to me the function of dup() in UNIX? As far as I am concerned, it duplicates a file descriptor. Under what circumstances would we need to duplicate a file descriptor in a UNIX environment? Thank you. vinchen (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vinchen
3 Replies

2. Programming

Understanding the purpose of dup/dup2

I'm having difficulty understanding the purposes of using dup/dup2 when involving forks. for example, if we call fork() once, that is, we are creating a child process. In what cases would we need to use dup or dup2 to duplicate the file descriptors for standard output and standard error? What... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Yifan_Guo
1 Replies

3. Programming

fork() help

Hi everybody, I wanna write a code to understand how fork works. my target -------------- -Parent creates a file(called temp) and writes into this file "1".Then it closes the file. -Then parent creates a child and wait until execution of this child ends. -Then child opens the same... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: alexicopax
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Fork and \n

Hi, I wrote a simple program for understanding the fork command. The code is as below int main(void) { fork(); printf("hi 1 \n"); fork(); printf("hi 2 \n"); fork(); printf("hi 3 \n"); } I am getting a variation in the number of times the printf is called if i remove the \n from each of... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: xyz123456
1 Replies

5. Programming

dup()

when i want to replace standard output with output file int out; out = open("out", O_WRONLY)p; dup2(out,1); What Shall I do in case of appending??? I am using here O_WRONLY TO WRITE.BUT IF i wanna append, whats the word? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: joey
5 Replies

6. Red Hat

ping error (DUP!)

Ntop is running on redhat. But It gives DUP! error while pinging to any places I dont know why DUP! error is occured. # ping google.com PING google.com (74.125.39.147) 56(84) bytes of data. 64 bytes from fx-in-f147.1e100.net (74.125.39.147): icmp_seq=1 ttl=44 time=54.1 ms 64 bytes from... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: getrue
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Identify duplicates and update the last 2 digits to 0 for both the Orig and Dup

Hi, I have a requirement where I have to identify duplicates from a file based on the first 6 chars (It is fixed width file of 12 chars length) and whenever a duplicate row is found, its original and duplicate row's last 2 chars should be updated to all 0's if they are not same. (I mean last 2... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: farawaydsky
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to count dup records in file?

Hi Gurus, I need to count the duplicate records in file file abc abc def ghi ghi jkl I want to get below result: abc ,2 abc, 2 def ,1 ghi ,2 ghi, 2 jkl ,1 or abc ,2 def ,1 (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ken6503
3 Replies

9. UNIX and Linux Applications

Deja-dup make my / full. So I cannot restore my back up

The problematic directory is the following: /root/.cache/deja-dup This directory grows until my "/" is full and then the restoring activity fails. I already tried to create a symbolic link with origin another partition where I have more space. However during the restoring activity ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: puertas12
4 Replies
explain_close_or_die(3) 				     Library Functions Manual					   explain_close_or_die(3)

NAME
explain_close_or_die - close a file descriptor and report errors SYNOPSIS
#include <libexplain/close.h> void explain_close_or_die(int fildes); DESCRIPTION
The explain_close_or_die function is used to call the close(2) system call. On failure an explanation will be printed to stderr, obtained from explain_close(3), and then the process terminates by calling exit(EXIT_FAILURE). This function is intended to be used in a fashion similar to the following example: explain_close_or_die(fildes); fildes The fildes, exactly as to be passed to the close(2) system call. Returns: This function only returns on success. On failure, prints an explanation and exits. SEE ALSO
close(2) close a file descriptor explain_close(3) explain close(2) errors exit(2) terminate the calling process COPYRIGHT
libexplain version 0.52 Copyright (C) 2008 Peter Miller explain_close_or_die(3)