Sponsored Content
Operating Systems HP-UX compiling linux driver to run on HPUX Post 31455 by LivinFree on Thursday 7th of November 2002 08:56:22 PM
Old 11-07-2002
Many C programs will compile just fine on HP-UX, but devices are very much different and rely on machine-specific code.

I tried very briefly and very fruitlessly a while back to use Linux device drivers to get some hardware running on HP-UX. Not to say it's not possible, but I would doubt it very very much - the kernel and the hardware are too different to simply port - it'd take a rewrite.

--------------
(Livin Free, please see my note at the end of the post below. Neo)

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

modem driver for linux

how to get modem driver for linux on intel netvista a22p model?please help.Thanks.:( (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: xinubhaskar
2 Replies

2. Programming

Porting From Linux To Hpux

Gents, i'm a senior applications developer and need to port a Linux server application ( no additional / special libraries or unique header files ) to a HPUX enviroment. Any chance to compile it on the Linux using flags to create an HPUX binary with gcc? (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: anak0nda
8 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Need Book for Linux Basics and Linux device driver.

hai friend, I am new to Linux, i need a book for Linux basic and Linux device driver .. plz send the book name and author(Easy to learn and mostly used by programmers) and also send the link if it is available in Net... Thank you. ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: sundar.lsr
0 Replies

4. Programming

Compiling Objective-C 2.0 under Linux

Hello all, I am new to programming and currently I am taking a swing at Objective-C. I easily compile my programs on my Macintosh, and have compiled some Objective-C programs on my linux box. The problem I am having is when I try to use features demonstrated in the book Programming in... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: inquen
4 Replies

5. Programming

Compiling virtual network adapter driver problem (net_device struct)

Hi, I found on linuxgazette.net/93/bhaskaran.html page very useful sample of virtual driver (not connected to real hardware). I try to compile it with no effect. So: I got fresh Ubuntu 9.10 (kernel 2.6.31-14) My source is saved in networkAdapter.c file in /usr/src/myModules directory. I... (21 Replies)
Discussion started by: Chrisdot
21 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Linux driver installation and so on.

I find Linux drivers to be the most elusive topic that there is and have enough questions about them that could fill a guide or tutorial if there was one. From what I can gather drivers are installed by one of three ways. 1- Recompile the kernel to include a driver that is included in the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: theKbStockpiler
2 Replies

7. Programming

compiling old C program in Linux.

Hello, I am writing to ask for support about compiling an very old but famous C-progam for genetics study called MapMaker/QTL, and the source code is available from MIT: http://www.broadinstitute.org/ftp/distribution/software/mapmaker3/The program was originally designed for systems like SunOS... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: yifangt
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Compiling git in HPUX 11.31 itanium

Hello, Would you know the steps on how to compile git command in HPUX? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: SystemAddict
1 Replies

9. Hardware

Difference between platform driver,codec driver and Machine driver

In general terms what are the differences platform driver,codec driver and Machine driver? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rupeshkp728
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compiling FORTRAN into Linux

Hello, I use Linux on Ubuntu 12.04. I have a fortran script with extension .f and I want to compile it to an executable file in linux. I have used this command: f77 -o snp_hwe.exe snp_hwe.f But I receive this error: (.text+0x18): undefined reference to `main' collect2: ld returned 1... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Homa
1 Replies
pm(9P)							   Kernel Properties for Drivers						    pm(9P)

NAME
pm - Power Management properties DESCRIPTION
The pm-hardware-state property can be used to influence the behavior of the Power Management framework. Its syntax and interpretation is described below. Note that this property is only interpreted by the system immediately after the device has successfully attached. Changes in the property made by the driver after the driver has attached will not be recognized. pm-hardware-state is a string-valued property. The existence of the pm-hardware-state property indicates that a device needs special han- dling by the Power Management framework with regard to its hardware state. If the value of this property is needs-suspend-resume, the device has a hardware state that cannot be deduced by the framework. The frame- work definition of a device with hardware state is one with a reg property. Some drivers, such as SCSI disk and tape drivers, have no reg property but manage devices with "remote" hardware. Such a device must have a pm-hardware-state property with a value of needs-suspend- resume for the system to identify it as needing a call to its detach(9E) entry point with command DDI_SUSPEND when system is suspended, and a call to attach(9E) with command DDI_RESUME when system is resumed. For devices using original Power Management interfaces (which are now obsolete) detach(9E) is also called with DDI_PM_SUSPEND before power is removed from the device, and attach(9E) is called with DDI_PM_RESUME after power is restored. A value of no-suspend-resume indicates that, in spite of the existence of a reg property, a device has no hardware state that needs saving and restoring. A device exporting this property will not have its detach() entry point called with command DDI_SUSPEND when system is sus- pended, nor will its attach() entry point be called with command DDI_RESUME when system is resumed. For devices using the original (and now obsolete) Power Management interfaces, detach(9E) will not be called with DDI_PM_SUSPEND command before power is removed from the device, nor attach(9E) will be called with DDI_PM_RESUME command after power is restored to the device. A value of parental-suspend-resume indicates that the device does not implement the detach(9E) DDI_SUSPEND semantics, nor the attach() DDI_RESUME semantics, but that a call should be made up the device tree by the framework to effect the saving and/or restoring of hardware state for this device. For devices using original Power Management interfaces (which are now obsolete), it also indicates that the device does not implement the detach(9E) DDI_PM_SUSPEND semantics, nor the attach(9E) DDI_PM_RESUME semantics, but that a call should be made up the device tree by the framework to effect the saving and/or restoring the hardware state for this device. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +--------------------------+--------------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +--------------------------+--------------------------------+ |Interface stability |Evolving | +--------------------------+--------------------------------+ SEE ALSO
power.conf(4), pm(7D), attach(9E), detach(9E), pm_busy_component(9F), pm_idle_component(9F), pm-components(9P) Writing Device Drivers SunOS 5.10 20 Jan 2004 pm(9P)