Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: appending files
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers appending files Post 31344 by edog on Wednesday 6th of November 2002 10:18:52 AM
Old 11-06-2002
here's what I ended up with thanks for all the input
Code:
#!/usr/bin/ksh

for i in `ls -lrt 0210*.dat|cut -c 55-66`
do
        echo $i
        DATE=`ls -l $i|cut -c 41-48`
        inputfile=$i
        echo $inputfile
        sed 's/$/,'"${DATE}/"  $inputfile >> master.dat
done

added code tags for readability --oombera

Last edited by oombera; 02-18-2004 at 06:59 PM..

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

appending strings in the files

I have some files created by a process in UNIX. I wanted to do some file processing: 1. I want to append a string "EOF" as the first word on the last line of all the files except the last file. 2.Similarly, I want to append "BOF" string as the first word to all the files except the first... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vijaylak
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Appending the two files

hi, I want to append to two files into a third file without new line like this: file 1: I am learning the unix file 2: Unix is very intersting When I am trying cat file1 file2 >> file3 I am getting: I am learning the unix Unix is very interesting But I want that to be in... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: harish409
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

appending variable number of files

In a particular path of a server I have number of files.The files are generated every date with a date_mth stap on this.There are different files for different clients. For example in /data1 path i have X_0416_Score Y_0416_Score Z_0417_Score X_0417_Score A_0417_Score If i will run the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dr46014
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Appending a string to all files in a directory

Hi, I will have to append a common string at the beginning of each and every line to all files in the same directory. How do i do this? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ragavhere
1 Replies

5. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

Appending files to a tape drive

I've starting playing with a tape drive for the first time. Its a new one, an IBM Ultrium LTO 4. After initially copying a file to the tape with tar cvf /dev/st0 /root/dummy, all subsequent files appended take an increasing amount of time with tar rvf /dev/st0 /root/dummyX. Is it normal for each... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jeriryan87
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Appending all files that are in a directory

Hi, This might be a question that has an easy solution but im new to unix. I have a project where I have to append files that are in a directory and then read those files out. can anyone help me this this problem??? thanks in advance, TDS (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: TDS
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Appending two files vertically

Hi Need ur help for the below question. I have two files File-1 & File-2. File-1(This is a fixed file i.e. the content of this file is not going to change over a period of time) ------ a b c d e File-2 (This is a file which changes daily but the record count remains the same)... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: 46019
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Appending two text files

Hi, i am using unix server and bash shell.. i have two csv files... i have file 1 as below... arun bvb ssx ccc and file 2 as below manas friu dfgg cat (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: arunmanas
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Appending multiple files

I am trying to append multiple files in a directory cat /a/file1.txt /a/file2.txt /a/file3.txt /a/file4.txt > /a/file.txt Except file2 every other file is appending. I interchanged file names and ran the command. Whatever file repeating in the second position is missing in output... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: eskay
6 Replies
GENDIFF(1)						      General Commands Manual							GENDIFF(1)

NAME
gendiff - utility to aid in error-free diff file generation SYNOPSIS
gendiff <directory> <diff-extension> DESCRIPTION
gendiff is a rather simple script which aids in generating a diff file from a single directory. It takes a directory name and a "diff- extension" as its only arguments. The diff extension should be a unique sequence of characters added to the end of all original, unmodi- fied files. The output of the program is a diff file which may be applied with the patch program to recreate the changes. The usual sequence of events for creating a diff is to create two identical directories, make changes in one directory, and then use the diff utility to create a list of differences between the two. Using gendiff eliminates the need for the extra, original and unmodified directory copy. Instead, only the individual files that are modified need to be saved. Before editing a file, copy the file, appending the extension you have chosen to the filename. I.e. if you were going to edit somefile.cpp and have chosen the extension "fix", copy it to somefile.cpp.fix before editing it. Then edit the first copy (somefile.cpp). After editing all the files you need to edit in this fashion, enter the directory one level above where your source code resides, and then type $ gendiff somedirectory .fix > mydiff-fix.patch You should redirect the output to a file (as illustrated) unless you want to see the results on stdout. SEE ALSO
diff(1), patch(1) AUTHOR
Marc Ewing <marc@redhat.com> 4th Berkeley Distribution Mon Jan 10 2000 GENDIFF(1)