Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: /tmp is missing ????
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers /tmp is missing ???? Post 31290 by BAM on Tuesday 5th of November 2002 01:36:59 PM
Old 11-05-2002
Data /tmp is missing ????

Hi,

When I type mail command i get the following error :

/tmp/Rx7678 : No such file or directory

If I try to use the man, i also get an error related to /tmp.

I looked at my other servers and found this /tmp file, looked inside it and found that it has some files related to booting, the machine with the problem doesn't have any /tmp files or directories like the other machines....and since i saw the word booting in the other /tmp files in other machines , i was afraid to reboot the machine with the problem just in case this /tmp is needed for rebooting and the machine wont restart properly...

i am really worried about this tmp, since i think it is an integral part of the Unix Sco OS that I have...I am afraid I lost my OS...

please help.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

monitoring /tmp and /var/tmp for suspicous activity

Hello, does anyone have a script that can check the contents of the /tmp directory and for example e-mail the directory content if anything other than session files are present? Maybe there are better ways to monitor suspicous /tmp and /var/tmp activity, if so I'm listening :) (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jamesbond
1 Replies

2. Solaris

How To Shrink /Tmp

Hi, Do you know if we can shrink the size of the Swap under Solaris 8 ? 8Gb is already allocated to /TMP but we would like to reduce to 1 GB. Thanks, Fabien. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: unclefab
2 Replies

3. AIX

/tmp full

good morning The /tmp filesystem is full at 99 % I have do a "rm" but the size is the same. so i think that a process is always alive, but how can i do to know it ? (because I have deleted some file in /tmp) thank you (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: pascalbout
9 Replies

4. Red Hat

/tmp directory

i heard once that the /tmp directory was a ramfs (swap) that is cleared at reboot time, is this still the case in redhat EL 3 and 4 ? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: BG_JrAdmin
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

what is so special about /tmp/

I know that /tmp is used for memory or swap??? and that it should not be full ??? and that files under /tmp are automatically removed after a reboot??? Is this info true??? thx (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: melanie_pfefer
16 Replies

6. Solaris

/tmp as swap

So with solaris 10 are people not using the old /tmp as a regular UFS filesystem and making /tmp part of swap or tmpfs... what are peoples thoughts on this? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: csaunders
5 Replies

7. Solaris

cannot cd /tmp.

Hi All, There's a /tmp. folder on my solaris 9. I can't cd on it bash-2.05# uname -a SunOS cads105ctce 5.9 Generic_122300-30 sun4u sparc SUNW,Sun-Fire-V890 bash-2.05# cd /tmp. bash: cd: /tmp.: No such file or directory bash-2.05# ls -la /tmp. /tmp.: No such file or directory ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: itik
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

/tmp filling up

Does anyone know of a way to redirect the ksh default of processing data in /tmp to another file system or / something else? My ksh script is parsing large DB files and it keeps filling up /tmp on the root disk. I have a 1 Tb disk with most of its space. How do I re-direct the /tmp ksh... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: cchelten
6 Replies

9. SuSE

How to resolve missing missing dependencies with opensuse 11.3 and 12.3?

Hello, This is a programming question as well as a suse question, so let me know if you think I should post this in programming. I have an application that I compiled under opensuse 12.2 using g77-3.3/g++3.3. The program compiles and runs just fine. I gave the application to a colleague who... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: LMHmedchem
2 Replies

10. Red Hat

Yum - resolving missing dependencies that are not missing

I am trying to install VirtualBox on RHEL 5 but I need the 32 bit version for 32 bit Windows. When I run yum I get the following: sudo yum localinstall /auto/spvtg-it/spvss-migration/Software/VirtualBox-4.3-4.3.2_90405_el6-1.i686.rpm Loaded plugins: fastestmirror Setting up Local Package... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: gw1500se
13 Replies
E2TOOLS(7)						 Miscellaneous Information Manual						E2TOOLS(7)

NAME
e2tools - utilities to manipulate files in an ext2/ext3 filesystem DESCRIPTION
E2tools is a simple set of GPL'ed utilities to read, write, and manipulate files in an ext2/ext3 filesystem. These utilities access a filesystem directly using the ext2fs library. I wrote these tools in order to copy files into a linux filesystem on a machine that does not have ext2 support. Of course, they can also be used on a linux machine to read/write to disk images or floppies without having to mount them or have root access. Supported functionality: e2cp copy files e2mv move files e2rm remove files e2mkdir create directory e2ln create hard links e2ls list files/directories e2tail output the last part of a file In general, to specify a directory or file on an ext2 filesystem for the e2tools utilities, use the following form: filesystem:directory_path The filesystem can be an unmounted partition or a regular file that's been formatted to contain an ext2 filesystem. In general, if a com- mand takes multiple file names on the command line, if the first one contains an ext2 file specification, the rest of the files are assumed to be on the same filesystem until another one is explicitly stated: /tmp/boot.img:/tmp/file1 /tmp/file2 /tmp/file3 /tmp/boot2.img:/tmp/file4 Files 1-3 are on /tmp/boot.img and the last file is on /tmp/boot2.img SEE ALSO
e2cp(1), e2ln(1), e2ls(1), e2mkdir(1), e2mv(1), e2rm(1), e2tail(1). AUTHOR
The e2tools were written by Keith Sheffield <sheff@pobox.com>. This manual page was written by Lucas Wall <lwall@debian.org>, for the Debian project (but may be used by others). March 2, 2005 E2TOOLS(7)