Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users running a scr in rc3.d not as root, can i? Post 31273 by kymberm on Tuesday 5th of November 2002 09:52:40 AM
Old 11-05-2002
We have a configuration tool, and I've been told i can't bring up the license manager or that database in the initial startup scripts as root since it won't allow others to modify files checked in and out, i haven't foudn this to be true yet, but one of our other sites says this happens. So was wondering if i could set it to start up as another user. so could i set up my startup script like this:
start:

su otheruser
myscript

:
end

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Running a command or script as root

I'm writing an application (Progress language) that needs to: 1) load the contents of a cron table into the Progress application; 2) display this information in a human manner and allow a select group of people to update it (these people are logged in as themselves, not as root); 3) save... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rm-r
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Running out of Space (Root)

Hi, I m working on about 16 Unix Servers, Sometime a file is generated in the root names STA, which causes the root to run out of space within few seconds ,,, and the server crashes..... hlp me out to find why the file is generated , what does it contain 'n' what is the cause ! (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: scorpiyanz
0 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Switching workspaces thru shell scr.(Solaris)

Using Solaris CDE environment and want to write a shell script (pref. Korn) which can: Upon invokation opens a dtterm new window (no problems, here, i.e. on how to open one) The new dtterm should be moved by the script to another workspace (consider no one changed the default Solaris naming... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: baivab
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

running X-11 programs as root

Hello, I would like to run gedit as root while logged into my regular user account. When I try to launch gedit from the command line as super user, I get this message: Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display: Any suggestions or word arounds? It would make my life a lot simpler to edit files... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Allasso
8 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

As root , running script as different user with su - problem

Dear All I am running into a situation where I am running a script as another user lets say oracle using su command as below, and the script fails because the .profile of oracle is not executed so the environment variables are not set. cat /etc/passwd | grep oracle... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: dbsupp
4 Replies

6. Cybersecurity

Running script through SSH as root

Hi all, I have a situation where I have a shell script that I need to run remotely on multiple *nix machines via SSH. Unfortunately, some of the commands in it require root access. I know that best practices for ssh entail configuring it so that the root account cannot log in, you need to... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: irinotecan
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Issue running script as root

1) Environment:Red Hat Linux, bash shell Script to be run owned by user :myUser Home environment of myUser: pathto/home 2) ESP agent with root access will run JobXXX.sh su - myUser -c "/pathto/home/bin/script.sh" where script.sh has some echo statements and an exit statement in the end... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: cj09
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Running a script as root but with different users inside

Hi All, my script.sh has the below lines, and i need to run the script as root or wam. please tell me if this will work #!/bin/bash sudo -t wam /usr/local/wam/stopwam -r ------- this needs run as wam user /usr/local/web/stopweb -a --- this needs to run as... (18 Replies)
Discussion started by: nanz143
18 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Running a command as another non-root user

Hi, I am trying to run a command within my KSH script as another user due to permission issues, now both users are non root. I have tried the following command and was unsuccessful: echo "<password>" | sudo -S -u <username> -k command Can I use sudo to run a command as a non-root user? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: MIA651
5 Replies
SERVICE(8)						    BSD System Manager's Manual 						SERVICE(8)

NAME
service -- control (start/stop/etc.) or list system services SYNOPSIS
service -e service -R service [-v] -l | -r service [-v] <rc.d script> start|stop|etc. DESCRIPTION
The service command is an easy interface to the rc.d system. Its primary purpose is to start and stop services provided by the rc.d scripts. When used for this purpose it will set the same restricted environment that is in use at boot time (see below). It can also be used to list the scripts using various criteria. The options are as follows: -e List services that are enabled. The list of scripts to check is compiled using rcorder(8) the same way that it is done in rc(8), then that list of scripts is checked for an "rcvar" assignment. If present the script is checked to see if it is enabled. -R Restart all enabled local services. -l List all files in /etc/rc.d and the local startup directories. As described in rc.conf(5) this is usually /usr/local/etc/rc.d. All files will be listed whether they are an actual rc.d script or not. -r Generate the rcorder(8) as in -e above, but list all of the files, not just what is enabled. -v Be slightly more verbose ENVIRONMENT
When used to run rc.d scripts the service command sets HOME to / and PATH to /sbin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin which is how they are set in /etc/rc at boot time. EXIT STATUS
The service utility exits 0 on success, and >0 if an error occurs. EXAMPLES
The following are examples of typical usage of the service command: service named status service -rv The following programmable completion entry can be use in bash(1) for the names of the rc.d scripts: _service () { local cur cur=${COMP_WORDS[COMP_CWORD]} COMPREPLY=( $( compgen -W '$( service -l )' -- $cur ) ) return 0 } complete -F _service service SEE ALSO
bash(1) (ports/shells/bash), rc.conf(5), rc(8), rcorder(8) HISTORY
The service utility first appeared in FreeBSD 7.3. AUTHORS
This manual page was written by Douglas Barton <dougb@FreeBSD.org>. BSD
December 11, 2012 BSD