Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: tapes
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers tapes Post 31237 by Kelam_Magnus on Monday 4th of November 2002 04:53:53 PM
Old 11-04-2002
I am not aware of any command that gives you this. Maybe a 3rd party app will do this.

Although tar -t gives you the table listing of the files from the tape,which you can take and perform commands to get the total used space which would give you the unused space if you know how big the tape is and what % compression you are getting with tar.

Maybe this will help.

Smilie

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. HP-UX

ignite tapes

can any1 tell me how to make ignite tapes for the HP-ux. this company said it was: "make_tape_recovery_A", but that don't work. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: JBX
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Tapes

:confused: Hello!! I am a new UNIX user, and I need to back up some files, I have some old ones and I have been trying to delete the old information with 'mt erase' but I don't be sure if it works, and 'mt resert' but the it gave a message suggesting me to use 'scsiha -r' (but the last one... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: scs
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Partitioning DDS Tapes

Does anyone know how to partition 4mm DDS tapes in any flavor of UNIX besides HP-UX? My HP-UX box died and I have bunch of backup tapes with two partitions on them and I can't figure out how to read the second partition using other kinds of UNIX. Thanks in advance, Darren (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dhaverstick
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Partitioning DDS Tapes

Does anyone know how to partition 4mm DDS tapes in any flavor of UNIX besides HP-UX? My HP-UX box died and I have bunch of backup tapes with two partitions on them and I can't figure out how to read the second partition using other kinds of UNIX. Thanks in advance, Darren (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dhaverstick
1 Replies

5. SCO

New backup tapes do not work

We are using Lone-tar to back up an old SCO UNIX System V/386 3.2. It was working fine until I inserted new data cartridges. I bought the exact same ones that I was using: HP DDS-1 Data Cartridge Compressed Capacity: 4GB Order number- C5706A If I insert a new tape and backup (done by... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ariepul
0 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Get files from sdlt tapes

Hi everybody, I'm new using unix/linux and I have a sdlt tape wich has 2 segy files. I realise the tape isn't tar so when I use dd if=/dev/rmt/*bn of=filename bs=100000 to get the files after 10 Gb for file 1 an error message appear I/O error and I'm sure that I didn't get completly the first... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Titas
5 Replies

7. Solaris

vxdump with more tapes

Hi Community, I've a V440 Sun Server with 2 device tape of 72GB. I have to backup a folder of 80 GB, so I have to use 2 tapes of 72GB (144 GB); If I use vxdump command which are the options that I have to use? When the first tape finishes does the system stop the backup? Please help me... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Sunb3
1 Replies

8. HP-UX

duplicating ignite tapes

I have a B180L controller running HP-UX 10.2 with an internal DDS2 tape drive and an external Surestore DDS (24gb) tape drive. I want to make duplicate copies of ignite tapes from one tape drive to another. What is the best way to do this? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: garyb
1 Replies

9. Solaris

ioscan -En how to exclude tapes?

i would like to list all disks, but this command with these options list tapes too. i donīt find out an option which list only the class like ioscan in hp-ux. could anybody help me? thanks a lot. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pabloli150
2 Replies

10. AIX

Moving tapes

Hello, anybody out there that is using itdt to manage tape changes in a tape library. The help of itdt show a move subcommand but I can't get it to work. Env: AIX5.3 Dell PowerVault TL2000 tape library -> rmt1 Available 01-08-02 IBM 3580 Ultrium Tape Drive (FCP) # itdt says it finds the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: petervg
3 Replies
mt(1)							      General Commands Manual							     mt(1)

NAME
mt - magnetic tape manipulating program SYNOPSIS
tapename] command [count] Obsolescent tapename] command [count] DESCRIPTION
is used to give commands to the tape drive. If tapename is not specified, the environment variable is used; if is not defined, the default drive is used. winds the tape in the requested direction (forward or backward), stopping after the specified count EOF marks or records are passed. If count is not specified, one is assumed. Each EOF mark counts as one record. When winding backwards, the tape always stops at the BOT marker, regardless of the number remaining in count. accepts the following commands: Write count EOF marks. Forward space count files. Forward space count records. Backward space count files. Backward space count records. Rewind tape. Rewind tape and go offline. Seek to end of data (DDS and QIC drives only). Write count setmarks (DDS drives only). Forward space count setmarks (DDS drives only). Backward space count setmarks (DDS drives only). Print status information about the tape drive. Reserve tape drive for sole use by the host issuing the command (stape or estape driver only). Release tape drive from sole use by the host issuing the command (stape or estape driver only). Spacing operations (back or forward space file or record) leave the tape positioned past the object being spaced to in the direction of motion. That is, backspacing a file leaves the the tape positioned before the file mark, forward spacing a file leaves the tape positioned after the file mark. This is consistent with all classical usage on tapes. WARNINGS
Only raw, no-rewind Berkeley-type devices should be specified. This type of device will not reposition the tape upon close. An example of such a device is or See mt(7) for more details. It is possible to wind the tape beyond the EOT marker and off the end of the reel. A reservation may only be cleared with a release by the host that issued the original reserve. In the event that the host that holds the reservation is no longer available, the command may be used to reclaim the device by issuing a bus device reset. See st(1M) for more details. The reserve/release functionality can only be issued to drives using the or driver. EXAMPLES
Rewind the tape associated with the device file or (if legacy DSF is disabled): FILES
Raw magnetic tape interface (stape) Raw magnetic tape interface (estape) Default tape interface. If legacy DSF is disabled, the default value is AUTHOR
was developed by the University of California, Berkeley. SEE ALSO
dd(1), st(1M), intro(7), mt(7). mt(1)