Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: please help with openbsd 2.9
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers please help with openbsd 2.9 Post 3123 by Neo on Saturday 23rd of June 2001 10:03:54 AM
Old 06-23-2001
Code:
-rwxr-xr-x   1 root     root         7736 Mar 21  2000 libutil-2.1.3.so*
lrwxrwxrwx   1 root     root           16 Aug 19  1994 libutil.so.1 -> libutil-2.1.3.so*

The example above is from my /lib directory on one of my servers. Notice that the shared library file is libutil-2.1.3.so, which was the current version when I did my installation. It might be libutil-2.1.5 now (for all I know Smilie ) because shared lib (like all dynamic code) changes frequently to add features and to fix bugs in the code.<P>
However, all code that used the shared library must have a symbol or token to represent the library, this is normally something like libutil.so.X. Normally libutil.so.3 will work in code designed for libutil.so.2 (but not always!). <P>
So, when you install a new library, for example libutil-3.1.1 you must create a symbolic link (as required). In the example above, you might do an:

Code:
ln -sf libutil-3.1.1.so libutil.so.1

This might not be enough, because newer code might look for the token libutil.so.3 !! So, you also must do:

Code:
ln -sf libutil-3.1.1.so libutil.so.3

Which creates another symbolic link, as required. <P>
<A HREF=http://forums.unix.com/showthread.php?threadid=513&highlight=symbolic+link>'what is a symbolic link?' (the question) was discussed here</A>
<P>
Fixed typo (thanks MIB!)

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

Maxtor vs. OpenBSD

Can't setup OpenBSD 3.4 with Maxtor Diamond Plus 9 80Gb ATA/133 HDD... Install process stops at hardware initialize, before installing... :confused: Any Comments... Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bsdave
2 Replies

2. BSD

Snort on openbsd

Im trying to gather some info to set up snort on openbsd 3.2, has anyone out there managed to get it up and running ? My initial attempts seem to be quite below par (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: malcontent
4 Replies

3. BSD

openbsd : cannot login

hi OK. I don't know exactly what I did to system! The system is OpenBSD 3.5. It is 200MMX, 16MB ram 1.2 + 2.4 GB HDD. The system was running well. But a few days ago I try to unpack a big tar.gz file and the system uses most the cpu and ram for this. While the system unpacking the file I try to... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: fnoyan
4 Replies

4. BSD

OpenBSD security

OpenBSD is best OS in the world! - I'm talking about security :) After 10 years popularity in OpenBSD, was founded just!!!!!!!!!!!!! just one security hole! You can download OpenBSD from there . However, do you know a better OS? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: zylwyz
1 Replies

5. BSD

setting up OpenBSD 4.0

ok these questions may be a little silly but I just started using OpenBSD as I came from Linux... 1. How do I make my desktop in X all snazzy like, I have wallpapers that need to be used. while I admit it will mainly be used for things I wont need a wallpaper for, you just never know :p, im... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Siphter
4 Replies

6. BSD

OpenBSD and wireless

I've just installed OpenBSD on my laptop (IBM Thinkpad T42) and since this is my first time with wireless networking in OpenBSD I'm a bit lost. What I would like to do is connect to a wireless network using WEP or WPA. Where do I place the key and essid? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Timmy66
3 Replies

7. BSD

RAIDing openbsd 4.2

Hello! Can anyone tell me how to make software RAID1 on openbsd 4.2. I try by some manuals but have no results.Maybe is somewhere good manual directly to openbsd 4.2 version? tnx (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kasparens
1 Replies

8. BSD

Trying to get into OpenBSD

I am an eight year Linux user and after getting into an argument with someone about OpenBSD overiding my theory that OS security is 50% OS and 50% admin skill, I decided to try OpenBSD for myself. I've tried BSDs before and haven't been able to get into them for day to dy use, but I am going to... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: deckard
7 Replies

9. BSD

openbsd-pf

hello , I wondered if anyone could assist me in writing a simple packet filter firewall on my OpenBSD v4.5. All I intend doing is to have two firewalling machine on a separate network : 192.168.1.1 ext_if = xl0 (dhcp) // Internet interface int_if=xl1 // Internatl interface ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: mattjam
0 Replies

10. BSD

OpenBSD pf problems

I am having troubles with this pf configuration, it seems when loaded nothing can access my server on the internal interface for the LAN, I cannot see why, and it's pretty much based off the very standard example in the OpenBSD faq. When I unload the configuration, I can access the DNS server on... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: John Tate
0 Replies
KINFO_GETALLPROC(3)					   BSD Library Functions Manual 				       KINFO_GETALLPROC(3)

NAME
kinfo_getallproc -- function for getting process information of all processes from kernel LIBRARY
System Utilities Library (libutil, -lutil) SYNOPSIS
#include <sys/types.h> #include <libutil.h> struct kinfo_proc * kinfo_getallproc(int *cntp); DESCRIPTION
This function is used for obtaining process information of all processes from the kernel. The cntp field is a pointer containing the number of process structures returned. This function is a wrapper around sysctl(3) with the KERN_PROC_PROC mib. While the kernel returns a packed structure, this function expands the data into a fixed record format. RETURN VALUES
On success the kinfo_getallproc() function returns a pointer to cntp struct kinfo_proc structures as defined by <sys/user.h>. The pointer was obtained by an internal call to malloc(3) and must be freed by the caller with a call to free(3). On failure the kinfo_getallproc() function returns NULL. SEE ALSO
free(3), malloc(3), sysctl(3) BSD
July 9, 2009 BSD