Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Replacing characters in a directory structure Post 31113 by Kelam_Magnus on Friday 1st of November 2002 10:57:37 AM
Old 11-01-2002
I am not sure that there is any command that can recursively do this.

You will have to write a script to capture your directories to a file and then read them into the script to change them beginning at the top of the directory tree working downward.

I would use find . -name "(" > file.out to capture the directories in order.

Have fun! Smilie

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Copying a Directory Structure to a new structure

Hi all Is it possible to copy a structure of a directory only. e.g. I have a file with the following entries that is a result of a find :- /dir1/dir2/file.dbf /dir1/dir2/dir3/file1.dbf /dir1/file.dbf I want to copy these to a directory and keep the structure however starting at a new dir... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: jhansrod
8 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

MV files from one directory structure(multiple level) to other directory structure

Hi, I am trying to write a script that will move all the files from source directory structure(multiple levels might exist) to destination directory structure. If a sub folder is source doesnot exist in destination then I have to skip and goto next level. I also need to delete the files in... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: srmadab
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help in Directory Structure

I have writen the following code to show the dirctory structure. Can any body help me for using the recursive function in this code? echo "-(0)" echo "$HOME-(1)" cd ~ set * for i in `ls $HOME` do if then echo ".....${i}" cd... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: murtaza
5 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Copying with directory structure

Hi, I need to copy a set of directories along with all sub directories and files from one unix box to another. Any ideas? cnfsed (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Cnfsed
4 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Directory Structure

Hi... I have a directory which has multiple directories and sub directories inside... what command should i use to get a list of all these directories, without the filenames.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: saharookiedba
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

printing a directory structure

Hey everyone I am just trying print a directory structure but I am not getting the desired output. I am using AIX. Script : input file contains : TNP\\ECOM\\test\\1 input_file=folders.txt cat $input_file | while read line do echo $line done (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rocker_me2002
3 Replies

7. Solaris

Question about directory structure

I have a Solaris 9 system and was trying to familiarize myself with how the filesystem is laid out. I was wondering what the following directories were for (legacy, some administrative reason, etc) The reason I ask about these specific directories is that they have executables with the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: thmnetwork
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Create Directory structure

Hello ; ) again Now I have my file like this : DIR2/DIR3 DIR2 DIR2/DIR3/DIR4/DIR5 I am looking for help to create a loop that will create the directory structure. I need something like this : If "DIR2" does not exist > Create IF "DIR2" exist already > check if onther "DIR"... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Aswex
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed replacing specific characters and control characters by escaping

sed -e "s// /g" old.txt > new.txt While I do know some control characters need to be escaped, can normal characters also be escaped and still work the same way? Basically I do not know all control characters that have a special meaning, for example, ?, ., % have a meaning and have to be escaped... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: ijustneeda
11 Replies
delete directory(1m)													      delete directory(1m)

NAME
delete directory - Deletes a directory SYNOPSIS
cdscp delete directory directory-name ARGUMENTS
The full name of the directory. DESCRIPTION
The delete directory command deletes a directory. The directory cannot contain any object entries, soft links, or child pointers. The master replica must be the only remaining replica in the cell. Use the delete replica command if you need to remove read-only replicas. Privilege Required You must have delete permission to the directory and write permission to the clearinghouse that stores the master replica of the directory. The server principal needs administer permission to the parent directory or delete permission to the child pointer that points to the directory you intend to delete. NOTE
This command is replaced at Revision 1.1 by the dcecp command and may not be provided in future releases of DCE. EXAMPLE
The following command deletes the directory /.:/eng from the namespace: cdscp> delete directory /.:/eng RELATED INFORMATION
Commands: create directory(1m), delete replica(1m), list directory(1m), set directory(1m), set directory to skulk(1m), show directory(1m) delete directory(1m)