Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Alias's & Functions - simple question Post 31084 by LivinFree on Thursday 31st of October 2002 06:06:55 PM
Old 10-31-2002
Many shells will let you prefix it with a backslash:
\ls
\man

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

a very simple question (but i don't know)

how to write a program that receive a string from keyboard and then print it out. i write a program: main() { char str; gets(str); printf(str); } but when i compile it, the system said something like "new line is not last charicter" and sometime the system said "a3.c is up to date"... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dell9
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

'find' command question

my solaris text talks about the 'find' command... it further goes to talk about an "action" used with the find command. I am completely confused as to what the {} do with the find comand. the explanation is this: "A set of braces, {}, delimits where the file name is passed to the command from... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: xyyz
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Clearify what it means under 'WHAT' when hit the 'w'-command

I wonder how I shall read the result below, especially 'what' shown below. The result was shown when I entered 'w'. E.g what is TOP? What is gosh ( what does selmgr mean?)? login@ idle JCPU PCPU what 6:15am 7:04 39 39 TOP 6:34am 6:45 45 45 TOP 6:41am ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Aelgen
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

What is with the '&'.

Hi Gurus, I would appreciate if someone could enlighten this newbie as to how significant the '&' is to unix. Currently I am getting around to writing a script which has to deal with a lot of these ampersands either as starting chars or between chars. Please find below the simpliest way that I... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: buRst
4 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

changing directories (i'm sure there is a simple solution for this)

I just want to exit my script in a new directory from a bash shell. Problem is that the script internally changes to the directory I want to move to, however when exits is still in the original directory. Does that make sense? ie usage: goto null changing from /usr/bin/xtra/test/test3/ ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Shakey21
8 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Further question on 'ifconfig' output

I asked a similar question earlier and got a very good answer but a new doubt came up. This is a few lines of a '/sbin/ifconfig' command on my PC: RX packets:3781025 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0 TX packets:1941909 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0 Does the RX and TX packets... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mint1981
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

here's how i did a very simple install of invidia drivers

ok i got the nvida drivers for mandrake9 rpm there is 3 rpms you must have glx ,kernel and something else email me if you want the precompiled drivers :: email removed :: once i got the drivers in stalled then i reseted the computer then i put the 1cd of mandrake9 in and did a upgrade i... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: amicrawler2000
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

alias a simple ls -l command

how do I alias the following command: ls -l |egrep 'drw|dr-|d--|d-w' The alias command needs single quotes and so does the above command, so this does not work: alias LSDIR 'ls -l |egrep 'drw|dr-|d--|d-w' ' My problem is how do I get a listing of only directories? Solaris 8 SUN Ultra 10... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ajp7701
4 Replies

9. Solaris

Simple question: alias not working for root

OS = Solaris 8 Issue: alias not working for root, but working for regular users # grep root /etc/passwd root:x:0:1:Super-User:/:/sbin/sh # alias dir=ls # dir dir: not found # alias dir="ls -l" # dir dir: not found # alias dir='ls -l' # dir dir: not found # alias... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: aixlover
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Simple .sh and alias or ? whatever. Do backup!

Hi , Using bash shell (mintty) in cygwin/windows env. for some time and having issues with most basic commands. Will be quite easy to get er done once I know how , just like magic tricks. I need either alias OR shell script to change windows to posix path AND put that line back -input OR .cd to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sircuts
2 Replies
GETUSERSHELL(3) 					     Linux Programmer's Manual						   GETUSERSHELL(3)

NAME
getusershell, setusershell, endusershell - get permitted user shells SYNOPSIS
#include <unistd.h> char *getusershell(void); void setusershell(void); void endusershell(void); Feature Test Macro Requirements for glibc (see feature_test_macros(7)): getusershell(), setusershell(), endusershell(): _BSD_SOURCE || (_XOPEN_SOURCE && _XOPEN_SOURCE < 500) DESCRIPTION
The getusershell() function returns the next line from the file /etc/shells, opening the file if necessary. The line should contain the pathname of a valid user shell. If /etc/shells does not exist or is unreadable, getusershell() behaves as if /bin/sh and /bin/csh were listed in the file. The setusershell() function rewinds /etc/shells. The endusershell() function closes /etc/shells. RETURN VALUE
The getusershell() function returns a NULL pointer on end-of-file. FILES
/etc/shells ATTRIBUTES
Multithreading (see pthreads(7)) The getusershell(), setusershell() and endusershell() functions are not thread-safe. CONFORMING TO
4.3BSD. SEE ALSO
shells(5) COLOPHON
This page is part of release 3.53 of the Linux man-pages project. A description of the project, and information about reporting bugs, can be found at http://www.kernel.org/doc/man-pages/. GNU
2013-06-21 GETUSERSHELL(3)