Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Platform decision
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Platform decision Post 31076 by Kelam_Magnus on Thursday 31st of October 2002 04:04:32 PM
Old 10-31-2002
Consider HPUX...

I am curious what you thought of HPUX. It is very comparible to SUN and has full range of support and wide variety of H/W for many size needs, from small shops to Fortune 500 enterprise systems.

I have been a DEC admin as well as my current job working with HPUX. I must say that I am very pleased with the reliability of the hardware. I sit near several SUN Admins that tell me they have had problems with hardware, but that could be anecdotal and limited to our shop.

If I had to pick one between SUN and IBM I would say IBM. Only based on reputation here at my work.

Smilie

6 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

decision, case, it then else?

I'm writing this script in Korn Shell, on AIX. The script will print a log file, and it needs to decide what region it's in before printing. ( the output of db2 "get instance" is either "The current database manager instance is: db2q" or "The current database manager instance is: db2u") ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: jpprial
6 Replies

2. News, Links, Events and Announcements

WIPO Official Decision

At Last Official Decision of UNIX.com Domain dispute by WIPO is available to review. http://arbiter.wipo.int/domains/decisions/html/2002/d2002-0294.html (Status: unix.com > Complaint denied) (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: killerserv
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Numerical Decision

I'm tryning to do something like this, I have this file: spaces12tabgoodbye spaces3tabhello I want to copy to another file the lines that have the number above 10... I thought using sort -rn but I don't know how to discard the lines that have the number below 10. Any idea? Thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pmpx
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Query on decision making...

is_number() { echo $1|egrep '^*$' 2>&1 1>/dev/null return $? }why the following snippet always give an output as "no" and never "yes" whatever the parameter I give to function is_number? if ]; then echo yes; else echo no; fi In addition, the function is_number() is... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: biglau
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read section of file and take decision

Hi, My requirement is that I've to read a config file having below info Oracle number|double;integer -> user can put multiple values here blob|binary varchar2|string varchar|string number(p,s)|decimal timestamp|date/time and so on .... Sybase bigint|bigint datetime|date/time... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dips_ag
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Decision based on field value

Hi, I need to change the 3rd field value based on the 4th field value using a shell script. here are the fields; 05:15-23:59; 05:15-21:00; 11:00-18:00; TGSI; TGSummaryInfo_C ; ENTER VALID GAC 05:15-23:59; 05:15-21:00; 11:00-18:00; TGSI; TGSummaryInfo_E ; ENTER VALID GAC 05:15-23:59;... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sam_bd
4 Replies
get_info(9r)															      get_info(9r)

NAME
get_info - General: Returns system-specific information SYNOPSIS
#include <devdriver.h> u_int get_info( struct item_list *item_list ); ARGUMENTS
Specifies a linked list of information requests. DESCRIPTION
The get_info routine returns system-specific data assigned to the hardware platform that the driver operates on. For example, a device driver might request system-specific information for the following Alpha hardware platforms: DEC 3000 Model 300 AXP Workstation, DEC 3000 Model 500 AXP Workstation, and DEC 4000 Model 610 AXP System. The get_info routine checks the function code that you pass in the function member of the item_list data structure. If the hardware plat- form that the driver operates on supports the system item associated with this function code, get_info returns the system-specific data for the system item in the output_data member of the item_list structure. For example, get_info returns the TURBOchannel clock speed in the output_data member of the item_list structure if you specify the constant GET_TC_SPEED in the function member of the item_list structure. The get_info routine then performs the identical checks for the rest of the item_list structures in the linked list. NOTES
The get_info routine is a generic interface that maps to a hardware platform-specific interface that actually returns the assigned CPU-spe- cific data for the specified CPU. Using this routine to obtain CPU-specific information makes the driver more portable across different CPU architectures and different CPU types within the same architecture. RETURN VALUES
The return value from the get_info routine depends on the following issues: The hardware platform supports get_info In this case, get_info returns the value TRUE. The hardware platform does not support get_info In this case, get_info returns the value NOT_SUPPORTED. If get_info returns the value TRUE, it returns one of the following values in the rtn_status member of the item_list data structure: Indi- cates that the hardware platform that the driver currently operates on supports the requested system item. Indicates that the hardware platform that the driver operates on does not support the requested system item. SEE ALSO
Routines: do_config(9r), get_config(9r) Data Structures: item_list(9s) get_info(9r)