Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: finding text inside file
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers finding text inside file Post 30457 by ganti on Tuesday 22nd of October 2002 03:18:41 PM
Old 10-22-2002
grep "string" `find / -type f`

GOOD LUCK

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Finding out if there is text in a file.

I have a script that when run creates 4 other text files. Sometimes a couple of these text files are empty. So what I am trying to do is find out if there is text in the file and if not delete the file. What I have so far is the following script. I am just not sure how to return a true value... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: iCONAN
9 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

finding text in a file

How do i find text string in a file if i have no idea where the file is? What I am trying to do is find an email address in a file and have no idea where the file is. Thanks (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: §ynic
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with finding text in file

Hello, Please help me with this. I have two files. file1.txt and file2.txt File1 contains text as below txt1 txt2 txt3 txt4 txt5 txt6 txt7 txt8 File2 contains text as below $1 $2 $3 $4 $5 $6 $7 $8 $9 ----------------------------- txt1 txt2 - - - 0 2 8 -*- txt0 txt7 - - - 1 4 8... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: tenderfoot
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

CHANGING THE TEXT INSIDE A FILE

Hi All, I need a small help in formating a file. I have a file with word like this; ATGHYJIKOLFHJDHDGDYFGFYGRYGFYRHFYHFUED DHDJFDFSJFLFJSKJFSLKJFGHDKLGLDKGLKDNVNV VNLDVLDVDHFJDKDJVNVHSUFNHJFMVJFMVKJMFV ... .... ....like this 75000 words. I want to convert this words into a single... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Lucky Ali
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Finding the last column value from a text file

Hi, I need to find out the last column value from a text file which is delimited by a tab. The issue here is the last column# for each record can be different i.,e, 1st record can have the last column as 15 and the second record can have the last column as "17". I have to search a string... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: naveen_sangam
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Finding the second last column value from a text file

Can any one tell me how to get the second last column value from the text file, which has different record size for each record. I know how to get the last column using awk and print statements, but I am unable to get the second last column value from the file. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: naveen_sangam
4 Replies

7. Homework & Coursework Questions

copy files inside a text file

Hi Guys , I am new to this and Hi to all ,Need your help I am trying to copy Files which are inside file.txt The files inside file.txt are inthe below order file1.log file2.log file3.log ....... I want to copy these files to an output Directory , Please help (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: hc17972
1 Replies

8. Homework & Coursework Questions

copy files inside a text file

Hi Guys , I am new to this and Hi to all ,Need your help I am trying to copy Files which are inside file.txt The files inside file.txt are inthe below order file1.log file2.log file3.log ....... I want to copy these files to an output Directory , Please help (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: hc17972
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Finding files with a certain name string inside of another file.

Hi, I have a very large file that contains a listing of all files on the system. I need to create a listing from that file of all files that start with the following format: s???_*, whereas the '?' represents characters, so the file name begins with an 's' followed by three other characters and... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: tes218
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Finding the pattern and replacing the pattern inside the file

i have little challenge, help me out.i have a file where i have a value declared and and i have to replace the value when called. for example i have the value for abc and ccc. now i have to substitute the value of value abc and ccc in the place of them. Input File: go to &abc=ddd; if... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: saaisiva
16 Replies
ZGREP(1)						      General Commands Manual							  ZGREP(1)

NAME
zgrep - search possibly compressed files for a regular expression SYNOPSIS
zgrep [ grep_options ] [ -e ] pattern filename... DESCRIPTION
Zgrep invokes grep on compressed or gzipped files. These grep options will cause zgrep to terminate with an error code: (-[drRzZ]|--di*|--exc*|--inc*|--rec*|--nu*). All other options specified are passed directly to grep. If no file is specified, then the standard input is decompressed if necessary and fed to grep. Otherwise the given files are uncompressed if necessary and fed to grep. If the GREP environment variable is set, zgrep uses it as the grep program to be invoked. EXIT CODE
2 - An option that is not supported was specified. AUTHOR
Charles Levert (charles@comm.polymtl.ca) SEE ALSO
grep(1), gzexe(1), gzip(1), zdiff(1), zforce(1), zmore(1), znew(1) ZGREP(1)