Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers dmesg on a sun, unqualified host Post 30409 by RTM on Monday 21st of October 2002 09:56:35 PM
Old 10-21-2002
From sunsolve:

With SendMail 8.8 onwards, SendMail produces the following messages:

sendmail[694]: My unqualified host name (lawlor.) unknown; sleeping for retry
sendmail[694]: unable to qualify my own domain name (lawlor.) -- using short name
Problem Solution Top

The following table shows sendmail versions:

Solaris sendmail
========================================
7 8.9.1b
2.6 8.6
2.6 + 105395-05 (or greater) 8.8.8
2.5.1 8.6
2.5.1 + 103594-18 (or greater) 8.8.8
others + latest patches 8.6

That is, upgrading to Solaris 7, or patching 2.5.1/2.6 with the latest
sendmail patch (or applying the Recommended Patch set, which includes
the sendmail patch) will result in this behaviour.

Sendmail 8.8 onwards wants to determine a fully qualified hostname, so it
can derive the local domainname.

Several strategies are used, and upon failure produces:

sendmail[694]: My unqualified host name (lawlor.) unknown; sleeping for retry
sendmail[694]: unable to qualify my own domain name (lawlor.) -- using short name

Between the 1st and 2nd line, it will sleep for 60 seconds on the assumption
there has been a name service failure (ie network name service is still
initialising). After a minute, the 2nd message is produced and sendmail
continues without being able to determine the domainname.

The simpliest (and recommend solution) is to fully qualify the hostname
in /etc/hosts and list "files" first in the /etc/nsswitch.conf, eg:

/etc/nsswitch.conf:
hosts: files nisplus dns

/etc/hosts:
192.9.9.100 www www.sun.com

If "files" is not the first name service in /etc/nsswitch.conf, then the
first name service listed should return a fully qualified hostname.

It is possible for sendmail to use the NIS/NIS+ domainname (set in
/etc/defaultdomain). In which case, it strips the first component, eg:

hotline.uk.sun.com -> uk.sun.com

On Solaris 7, the script, /usr/lib/mail/sh/check-hostname is provided to check
and advise on the configuration of the fully qualified hostname. See web
site listed below for obtaining a version for 2.5.1/2.6.

NOTE:
Sendmail will perform the above before processing the sendmail.cf file,
so setting $m does not avoid the message/delay.

For further details, check:

sun-specific

================================
To check sendmail for errors, the simplest way is to run the following:
% /usr/lib/sendmail -d0.1 -bt < /dev/null

It will then show something like the following ( Version, how it was compiled, system ID (where your problem lies), and any warnings about directories (which you should change):

Version 8.9.3
Compiled with: MAP_REGEX LOG MATCHGECOS MIME7TO8 MIME8TO7 NAMED_BIND
NDBM NETINET NETUNIX NEWDB NIS NISPLUS QUEUE SCANF SMTP USERDB
XDEBUG

============ SYSTEM IDENTITY (after readcf) ============
(short domain name) $w = oven
(canonical domain name) $j = oven.prv.mycom.com
(subdomain name) $m = prv.mycom.com
(node name) $k = oven
========================================================

WARNING: Group writable directory /var
ADDRESS TEST MODE (ruleset 3 NOT automatically invoked)
Enter <ruleset> <address>

7 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

sun dmesg says

Oct 22 13:40:07 snmpdx: community_check() : bad community from Oct 22 13:40:07 snmpdx: session_open() failed for a pdu received from any help? thanks (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: yls177
4 Replies

2. Solaris

sendmail and unqualified addresses

I have a solaris 10 server running sendmail 8.13.8, configuration file V10. On another server I am able to send local emails without appending a domain name but on this server I cannot. The mail does not bounce, the log file says they are sent, but they are not delivered. There isn't a problem... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: csgonan
10 Replies

3. Solaris

Unqualified host name

Hi All I am Having V890 Server with Solaris 10 OS.In Dmesg showing the sendmail error. This is the error: Jul 26 22:04:56 ORACLE sendmail: My unqualified host name (ORACLE) unknown; sleeping for retry Jul 26 22:05:56 ORACLE sendmail: unable to qualify my own domain name (ORACLE) -- using... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ravigpb
5 Replies

4. Solaris

My unqualified host name

Hi experts . . . host name: prd47e Sunsolaris 9 version My mails are not going and am gettin regular messages like: * My unqualified host name (prd47e) unknown; sleeping for retry * unable to qualify my own domain name (prd47e) -- using short name my /etc/hosts file contnets are... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: vrjalli
6 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unqualified Host at boot

I'm sure this is as basic as they get. I installed Solaris 10 x86 on a compaq 7500 that I switched motherboards out with an AMD processor. Since I installed, I've gotten the "unqualified host name" message at boot plus I"m not sure how to find my NIC (or if the driver is installed). I only show... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: ltillman
7 Replies

6. Solaris

Classic: sendmail[pid]: My unqualified host name (hostname) unknown

Hi all, I'd like to disable sendmail permanently on my "new" 220R with freshly installed SunOS 5.10 because it prints annoying messages to the system console. Also I'm interested in how to fix the actual problem with unqualified host name. My unqualified host name (hostname) unknown; sleeping... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pseudocoder
2 Replies

7. Solaris

Add new EML 103e Tape Library in SUN Solaris Host to implement HP DP

Hi, Our environment is SUN Solaris. We have purchased HP EML 103e tape library. Can you please let me know do I need to install any Driver of newly added Tape Library to see from the Solaris Host? or how can i see the tape library from my Solaris hosts. Thanks, Hassan (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: M_Hassan
0 Replies
mailsetup(8)						      System Manager's Manual						      mailsetup(8)

NAME
mailsetup - Configures the host's mail system SYNOPSIS
/usr/sbin/mailsetup [-f file] OPTIONS
Specifies the name of the resulting configuration file. DESCRIPTION
The mailsetup script sets up the sendmail system on your host. You can use this script to do a quick setup where defaults are used or to do a more extensive setup. Alternatively, you can use the mailconfig command. Before you run the mailsetup script, your machine should be established on a local area network (LAN). If you want to use domain-based addressing, you must also configure the Berkeley Internet Name Domain (BIND) service in your environment. Furthermore, if you want to dis- tribute your /var/adm/sendmail/aliases database (see aliases(4)) amongst the machines in your environment, you must configure the Network Information Service (NIS). See the Network Administration guide, bind_intro(7), and nis_intro(7) for more information about the BIND and NIS services. For a quick setup, the only information you are asked for is the name of the mail relay you are using and which users are considered local. For the more extensive setup, you are asked for the same information in addition to UUCP, DECnet, and UMC configuration information, mail aliases for your machine, local address formats, and other domain information. You must run the mailsetup script as superuser and with the system in multiuser mode. When you run mailsetup a menu is displayed giving you a choice of responses. You are then prompted for further information. If you do not use the -f option, before mailsetup exits, it asks if you wish to restart your mail with this new configuration. If you answer no, your configuration file is saved in /var/adm/sendmail/sendmail.cf.tmp and the install is aborted. If you answer yes, your /var/adm/sendmail/sendmail.cf file is moved to /var/adm/sendmail/sendmail.cf.orig, if no file by this name exists. If /var/adm/send- mail/sendmail.cf.orig exists, /var/adm/sendmail/sendmail.cf is moved to /var/adm/sendmail/sendmail.cf.n, where n is the version number (0 to 6 where 0 is the most recent). The new configuration file is then moved to /var/adm/sendmail/sendmail.cf and sendmail is restarted. If you use the -f option, the configuration file is saved with the file name specified and sendmail is not restarted. The mailsetup script produces the following three files in /var/adm/sendmail: sendmail.m4 hostname.m4 Makefile.cf.hostname You can fine tune your configuration by modifying the hostname.m4 file and issuing a make -f Makefile.cf.hostname command, which produces a hostname.cf file. You can then copy the hostname.cf file to sendmail.cf and restart sendmail using the /sbin/init.d/sendmail restart com- mand. Running mailsetup To set up your mail system using the mailsetup script, log in as root and complete the following steps: Invoke the mailsetup script. The script asks whether you want to do a quick setup. If you answer yes, the mailsetup script prompts you for the following information: The name of the general-purpose relay If you want to modify the list of aliases and users that are considered local If you want to complete the mail setup To do an advanced mail setup, answer no. The mailsetup script prompts you for the information you collected on the worksheet. When you finish providing the information, the mailsetup script asks if you want to complete the configuration. If you answer yes, the script moves the new sendmail.cf file to the system space, saves the old sendmail.cf file, and restarts sendmail. If you answer no, the script moves the new sendmail.cf file to /var/adm/sendmail/sendmail.cf.tmp and exits. Running mailsetup in a TruCluster Server Cluster The following restrictions apply to setting up mail with the mailsetup script in a TruCluster Server cluster: You can run the mailsetup script on an entire cluster, but not focused on any one cluster member. If you try to run mailsetup with the -focus option, you will see the following error message: Mail can only be configured for the entire cluster. The cluster members and the cluster alias are added to the Cw macro, which defines the nicknames for the cluster. If you delete the cluster members or the cluster alias from the nicknames list via the mailsetup script, they are added again. If you do a quick setup with the mailsetup script, the cluster members and the cluster alias are automically added to the Cw macro (nicknames list) and you are not prompted to update the list of nicknames. Any file that includes the hostname string as part of the file name is changed to includecluster_alias. For example, hostname.m4 becomes cluster_alias.m4 and Makefile.cf.hostname becomes Makefile.cf.cluster_alias. FILES
Contains alias definitions for the sendmail program. Specifies the users who should receive mail on the local host. Specifies the send- mail configuration file. Specifies the mail setup product description for the configuration file. Specifies the backup configuration files. Specifies the original configuration file. Specifies the configuration file produced by mailsetup. Specifies the user config- urable file produced by mailsetup. In a TruCluster Server cluster, this file is named after the cluster alias, i.e., cluster_alias.m4. Specifies the Makefile file produced by mailsetup and used to make a hostname.cf file from the sendmail.cf and hostname.m4 files. In a Tru- Cluster Server cluster, this file is named after the cluster alias, i.e., Makefile.cf.cluster_alias. SEE ALSO
Commands: m4(1), , mailconfig(8), sendmail(8) Introductions: mail_intro(7), bind_intro(7), nis_intro(7) Network Administration mailsetup(8)