Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming Issue with Keyboard or Char Encoding During Migration Post 303046238 by Neo on Tuesday 28th of April 2020 07:48:44 AM
Old 04-28-2020
Yes, the thread title in the migrated post is different because there is no migration script running against titles.

That's not a big deal, it's a total outlier.

We are not processing "thread titles" in the migration (on migration scripts do) because the migration scripts are not designed to process any titles at all.

All processing is for the posts only.

Let's don't go chasing down outlier rabbit holes where we are not even concerned about.

It takes less time to edit an outlier like that than to discuss it, LOL.

Obviously, is a thread title has a char which is not encoded properly, then it will have issues when migrated. That is like some 0.00001 kinda outlier.

It's good you found it so we can edit it later; but it's nothing to be concerned about.

So, to be clear... the migration script does not do any processing on titles. Titles are expected to be written in "basic normal charsets" and when they are not, it is quite the outlier case.

7 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how2 get single char from keyboard w/o enter

I am writing a bash shell menu and would like to get a char immediately after a key is pressed. This script does not work but should give you an idea of what I am trying to do.... Thanks for the help #! /bin/bash ANSWER="" echo -en "Choose item...\n" until do $ANSWER = $STDIN ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jwzumwalt
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Encoding of a text issue

I created one file on windows system and is visible as : TestTable,INSERT,večilnin1ईगल受害者是第,2010-02-02 10:10:10.612447,137277,ईगल受害者是第večilnin!@#$%^&*()_+=-{}] But when send this file to unix system, the file is visible as : TestTable,INSERT,žvečilnin1ई-ल -害...是第,2010-02-02 ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Shaishav Shah
4 Replies

3. Solaris

Solaris 10 p2v migration issue

Hi All, We need to move Physical Solaris 10 system to Virtual Solaris 10(p2v). Both the servers having Solaris 10(Generic_147440-25) means physical server which we are going to move is having Solaris 10 and this physical server will be converted as a virtualserver on another physical server... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: sb200
9 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Strange Keyboard and Mouse Issue

Hello All, PC: CuBox-i (*i.MX6) Mini-PC OS: openSUSE 13.1 (Bottle) (armv7hl) Kernel: 3.14.14-cubox-i # uname -a Linux CuBox-HQ 3.14.14-cubox-i #1 SMP Sat Sep 13 03:48:24 UTC 2014 armv7l armv7l armv7l GNU/LinuxSo I've been having this random issue happen on this PC where a few strange... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: mrm5102
12 Replies

5. AIX

AIX Migration issue with EMC ODM sets

Hi Experts , I want to start migrating our AIX 6.1 to AIX 7.1 . I am planning to use alt_disk_migration . Chris gibson has awesome documentation in the internet. However I am running into an issue with EMC odm filesets . So my current OS is AIX 6.1. and I have this : lslpp -l | grep EMC ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: JME2015
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

AIX to RHEL migration - awk treating 0e[0-9]+ as 0 instead of string issue

Greetings Experts, We are migrating from AIX to RHEL Linux. I have created a script to verify and report the NULLs and SPACEs in the key columns and duplicates on key combination of "|" delimited set of big files. Following is the code that was successfully running in AIX. awk -F "|" 'BEGIN {... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: chill3chee
5 Replies

7. Solaris

View file encoding then change encoding.

Hi all!! Im using command file -i myfile.xml to validate XML file encoding, but it is just saying regular file . Im expecting / looking an output as UTF8 or ANSI / ASCII Is there command to display the files encoding? Thank you! (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mrreds
2 Replies
MAN(1)							      General Commands Manual							    MAN(1)

NAME
man - display online manual pages SYNOPSIS
man [-antkf] [-M path] [-s section] title ... DESCRIPTION
Man displays the online manual pages for the specified titles in the specified sections. The sections are as follows: 1 User Commands Generic commands such as ls, cp, grep. 2 System Calls Low level routines that directly interface with the kernel. 3 Library Routines Higher level C language subroutines. 4 Device Files Describes devices in /dev. 5 File Formats Formats of files handled by various utilities and subroutines. 6 Games It's not UNIX without an adventure game. 7 Miscellaneous Macro packages, miscellaneous tidbits. 8 System Utilities Commands for the System Administrator. 9 Documents Larger manuals explaining some commands in more detail. (If you are new to Minix then try man hier, it will show you around the file system and give you many pointers to other manual pages.) By default, man will try the following files in a manual page directory for the command man -s 1 ls: cat1/ls.1 cat1/ls.1.Z man1/ls.1 man1/ls.1.Z Files in the man[1-8] directories are formatted with nroff -man. Those in man9 are formatted with nroff -mnx. Files in the cat? directo- ries are preformatted. Files with names ending in .Z are decompressed first with zcat (see compress(1)). The end result is presented to the user using a pager if displaying on the screen. For each manual page directory in its search path, man will first try all the subdirectories of the manual page directory for the files above, and then the directory itself. The directory /usr/man contains the standard manual pages, with manual pages for optional packages installed in a subdirectory of /usr/man, with the same structure as /usr/man. The directory /usr/local/man contains manual pages for locally added software. By default /usr/local/man is searched first, then /usr/man. A title is not simply used as a filename, because several titles may refer to the same manual page. Each manual page directory contains a database of titles in the whatis(5) file that is created by makewhatis(8) from the NAME sections of all the manual pages. A title is searched in this database and the first title on a whatis line is used as a filename. OPTIONS
The options may be interspersed with the titles to search, and take effect for the titles after them. -a Show all the manual pages or one line descriptions with the given title in all the specified sections in all the manual directories in the search path. Normally only the first page found is shown. -n Use nroff -man to format manual pages (default). -t Use troff -man to format manual pages. -f Use whatis(1) to show a one line description of the title from the whatis(5) file. -k Use apropos(1) to show all the one line descriptions of the title anywhere in the whatis(5) files (implies -a). -M path Use path as the search path for manual directories. -s section Section is the section number the page is to be found in, or a comma separated list of sections to use. Normally all sections are searched. The search is always in numerical order no matter what your section list looks like. A single digit is treated as a sec- tion number without the -s for compatibility with BSD-style man commands. ENVIRONMENT
MANPATH This is a colon separated list of directories to search for manual pages, by default /usr/local/man:/usr/man. PAGER The program to use to display the manual page or one line descriptions on the screen page by page. By default more. FILES
/usr/man/whatis One of the whatis(5) databases. SEE ALSO
nroff(1), troff(1), more(1), whatis(1), makewhatis(1), catman(1), whatis(5), man(7). AUTHOR
Kees J. Bot (kjb@cs.vu.nl) MAN(1)