Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris Hardware RAID on Solaris-10 disk Post 303046073 by MadeInGermany on Thursday 23rd of April 2020 01:50:56 AM
Old 04-23-2020
Thanks for the update.
These hardware RAIDs ship with their own software. I wonder if Solaris provides a general frontend where they can plug in. (Like fbconfig, it was a frontend command for most of the graphic adaptors.)

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

Hardware RAID

I don't understood why on SPARC-Platforms have not present RAID-Controller ? Sorry for my bad english, but it's crazy always setup software RAID !!! I whanna Hardware RAID and when i can find solution ? (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: jess_t03
7 Replies

2. Solaris

how to hardware RAID 1 on T5120

Hi, I have t5120 sparc and I have 2 146 G drives in the system. I will be installing solaris 10 and also want the system mirrored using Hardware RAID "1" The System did come preinstalled as it comes from sun. I did not do much on it. I booted system using boot cdrom -s gave format... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: upengan78
6 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

RAID software vs hardware RAID

Hi Can someone tell me what are the differences between software and hardware raid ? thx for help. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: presul
2 Replies

4. Solaris

Hardware Raid - LiveUpgrade

Hi, I have a question. Do LiveUpgrade supports hardware raid? How to choose the configuration of the system disk for Solaris 10 SPARC? 1st Hardware RAID-1 and UFS 2nd Hardware RAID-1 and ZFS 3rd SVM - UFS and RAID1 4th Software RAID-1 and ZFS I care about this in the future to take... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bieszczaders
1 Replies

5. Solaris

how to check for hardware layered raid in solaris 10 ?

hi all, will command metastats tell whether there is hardware layered raid ? i intend to do patching and plug out one of the disks in case the one inside encountered issues. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Exposure
1 Replies

6. Solaris

Software RAID on top of Hardware RAID

Server Model: T5120 with 146G x4 disks. OS: Solaris 10 - installed on c1t0d0. Plan to use software raid (veritas volume mgr) on c1t2d0 disk. After format and label the disk, still not able to detect using vxdiskadm. Question: Should I remove the hardware raid on c1t2d0 first? My... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: KhawHL
4 Replies

7. Solaris

Hardware RAID not recognize the new disk [Sun T6320]

We have hardware RAID configured on Sun-Blade-T6320 and one of the disk got failed. Hence we replaced the failed disk. But the hot swapped disk not recognized by RAID. Kindly help on fixing this issue. We have 2 LDOM configured on this server and this server running on single disk. #... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: rock123
8 Replies

8. Solaris

[solved] How to blink faulty disk in Solaris hardware?

Hi Guys, One of two disks in my solaris machine has failed, the name is disk0, this is SUN physical sparc machine But I work remotely, so people working near that physical server are not that technical, so from OS command prompt can run some command to bink faulty disk at front panel of Server.... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: manalisharmabe
9 Replies

9. Solaris

Hardware raid patching

Dear All , we have hardware raid 1 implemented on Solaris Disks. We need to patch the Servers. Kindly let me know how to patch hardware raid implemented Servers. Thanks... Rj (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: jegaraman
7 Replies
raidreconf(8)						      System Manager's Manual						     raidreconf(8)

NAME
raidreconf - reconfigure RAID arrays SYNOPSIS
raidreconf -h {--help} - or - raidreconf -V {--version} - or - raidreconf -o oldraidtab -n newraidtab -m /dev/md? - or - raidreconf -i /dev/sd?? -n newraidtab -m /dev/md? - or - raidreconf -n newraidtab -m /dev/md? -e /dev/sd?? WARNING
You should back up all data BEFORE any attempt is made to reconfigure a RAID device. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED. The author will give you no guarantee whatsoever, that this program works in any specific way at all. It may well destroy all data on any device connected directly, indirectly, or not at all, to any system this software is used on. Please use this stuff with care, if you decide to use it at all. Ok, that said, let's see how to actually use it :-) DESCRIPTION
raidreconf will read two raidtab files, an old one, and a new one. It will then re-build your old array to match the configuration for the new array, while retaining all data possible. It can also be used to import a single block-device into a RAID array (using more block devices), or export a RAID array to a single block- device. raidreconf can, of course, only retain your original data if you grow the configuration. If you shrink the configuration from say, P bytes to Q bytes, raidreconf will retain the first Q bytes of your original data, but everything from Q bytes to the end of the old array (to P bytes) will be lost. Currently raidreconf can grow and shrink RAID-0 and RAID-5 arrays, and import non-RAID devices into a new RAID-0 or RAID-5. The whole purpose of raidreconf is to be able to add disks to an existing array, or convert it to a new type (eg. RAID-0 to RAID-5) without losing data. raidreconf will move the existing data around on your array, to match the layout of the new array. OPTIONS
-h {--help} Raidreconf will print a short help message, and exit. -V {--verbose} Raidreconf will print it's version information, and exit. -o {--old} oldraidtab Specifies the path name of the old (current) raidtab. NOTE: raidreconf performs some tests to ensure that this configuration file matches the raid superblocks stored on the disk, but there may be scenarios where the two are in conflict, but aren't detected as such. Be very careful to specify this file properly. -n {--new} newraidtab Specifies the path name of the new raidtab. After raidreconf finishes, copy the newraidtab to the oldraidtab location, as raidreconf doesn't perform this (potentially dangerous) operation. -m {--mddev} /dev/md? Specifies the name of the raid array to modify. -i {--import} /dev/sd?? Specifies the name of the device to import from. -e {--export} /dev/sd?? Specifies the name of the device to export to. BUGS
Perhaps many. Well, the basic RAID-0 growth, shrink and import algorithms seem to work, but there are lots and lots of consistency checks and graceful error handling missing. The RAID-5 algorithms are simplistic, with little optimization other than that provided by the buffer layer. Conversions between non-RAID, RAID-0, and RAID-5 all *seem* to work, but there may be some bugs left yet. If an error occurs during reconfiguration, a power failure for example, restore from backup (you DID make a backup, right?), and try again. Although RAID-4 is not supported, and almost no one uses it, it would be almost trivial to add. REPORTING BUGS
Since this is highly experimental software, there are a number of known bugs already. The author would of course like to know about bugs, but at this stage in development you shouldn't waste too much of your time trying to hunt them down. They're probably known, and maybe already fixed in the author's tree. Report bugs to <bugs@oss.connex.com>. ????? AUTHOR
raidreconf was written in 1999 by Jakob Oestergaard <jakob@ostenfeld.dk> The RAID-5 routines were written by Daniel S. Cox in 2001 <dcox@connex.com> SEE ALSO
mkraid(8), raidtab(5), raidstart(8), raidhotadd(8), raidhotremove(8), raidstop(8) raidreconf(8)