Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers Shell Script behaviour and syntax Post 303045826 by sea on Tuesday 14th of April 2020 09:32:39 AM
Old 04-14-2020
I know it looks that way - because it is, yes, intentional.
Just have a look Smilie

EDIT:
But it seems my previous terminal was borked in some way, only 2 lines should be enough.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

any explanation for thsi shell script behaviour

hello whats the difference between excuting a shell script as a)sh myscript.sh b). ./myscript.sh i noticed that my shell script works fine when i run it as . ./myscript .sh but fails when i run it as sh myscript.sh could anybody explain why. the shell script is very simple ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: xiamin
9 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script syntax checker

I have a rather big script that i have written in ksh and it is falling over in two places with a 'test argument' error. I know this usually means that the if statement is not correct, but it is fine. I have looked through the rest of the script for any odd brackets or ` marks, but can't see... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: handak9
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Basic Shell script syntax help

Hi All, I am new to shell scripting. I have a variable which holds a numeric value.I have to check whether this variable holds a value between(0- 8),(8-17)(17-24).How do i write this syntax using if in shell scripting. Thanks Vignesh (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vignesh53
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to Check Shell script syntax w/o executing

Hello All, I looking for a way to verify the correction of shell script syntax. Is there any switch like -c in perl which do this in shell ? Thank You. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Alalush
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help Syntax Shell-Script

Hi Guys, iīve a question ... but itīs a litte bit tricky: iīve a 3 php-scripts which runīs via cron at night. These script reads an xml-file a writes it in an MySQL-DB. I named them (for example here ) Script1 - Script3. The XML-Files i named xml1 - xml3. Now, iīve build a Batch-file,... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: jackcracker
10 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Syntax error calling TCL script from shell script

hello everyone i am beginner on shell scripting .and i am working on my project work on ad hoc network i wrote a batch (.sh) to do a looping and execute a tcl script i wrote before in each iteration ..but i got this problem " syntax error near unexpected token `('... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: marcoss90
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

shell script | bc syntax format

sorry but need help http://i.investopedia.com/inv/articles/site/CalculationEMA.gif trying to achieve ema in script I have this syntax which errors ema=` ; the 0.153846154 ='s Smoothing Factor really appreciate help (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: harte
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

syntax error in shell script

I am creating a shell script. In which, I need to get server name and server IP. I used this command in script. servername=`cat /etc/hosts|grep `eval hostname`|awk '{print $2}'` however, when execute script or put set -x to debug, it return: line 13: syntax error at line 13: `|' unexpected... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: duke0001
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash syntax behaviour : [[ vs [

Hello. In the following : RESTORE_FF contain a file name : a_file.tar.gz I am testing in a directory if "a_file.tar.gz" exists and or if any file like "a_file.tar.gz" exists. So "a_file.tar.gz" will give me file exists So "a_file.tar.gz." will give me file exists So... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jcdole
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with if statement syntax in shell script

I want to make the file test condition a variable ($Prmshn in code below). My goal is to use something like the first three unsuccessful if statetments since the 'if #!/bin/ksh test_input() { Prmshn=${1} InFLNm=${2} ifReq="-$Prmshn $InFLNm" #the following three if statments fail: #if ] ;... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: ms63707
10 Replies
last(8) 						      System Manager's Manual							   last(8)

NAME
last - Displays information about previous logins SYNOPSIS
/usr/bin/last [-n maxlines | -maxlines] [-f filename] [name...] [tty...] FLAGS
Reads information about previous logins from filename instead of from the accounting file /var/adm/wtmp. Limits the output to maxlines number of record lines. Limits the output to maxlines number of record lines. Provides SVID conformance, and is equivalent to -maxlines. DESCRIPTION
The last command displays, in reverse chronological order, all previous logins and logouts entered in the currently active /var/adm/wtmp file. The list of output records can be restricted to maxlines number of record lines if the -maxlines or the -n maxlines flag is speci- fied. The last command also displays logins and logouts by the user specified with the name parameter, and logins and logouts from termi- nals specified with the tty parameter. The tty terminal references can be fully named (for example, tty0) or abbreviated (for example, 0). For each process, the following information is displayed according to session, with the most recent session listed first: Time session began Duration of session The tty terminal on which session took place The following information is included when applicable: Terminations when rebooting Continuing sessions If the last command is interrupted, an indication of how far the search has progressed in the /var/adm/wtmp file is provided. If the com- mand is interrupted by a quit signal, an indication as to how far the search has progressed is provided, but the search continues. To obtain information about the mean time between reboots, use the word shutdown as the name parameter. EXAMPLES
The following example displays all recorded logins and logouts for user root and all recorded logins and logouts from the console terminal: last root console The following example displays the time between system reboots: % last shutdown shutdown ~ Fri Aug 28 17:59 shutdown ~ Mon Aug 17 09:07 wtmp begins Mon Aug 17 08:51 In the previous example, the shutdown pseudouser is used to list the mean time between system reboots. FILES
Specifies the command path. Header file defining structures used to organize login information. The login/logout database file. RELATED INFORMATION
Commands: lastcomm(8) Files: utmp(4), wtmp(4). delim off last(8)