Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers Du command takes too long to respond Post 303045658 by vbe on Tuesday 7th of April 2020 02:46:15 AM
Old 04-07-2020
Its not the same computing size especially if so many files than just list...Because it after has to add total of each subdirectory etc...
What is /data? a file system? in which case why not just
Code:
du -sm /data

and where it gets complicated is if you have NFS mounted on top...

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Finding out how long a command takes to run

Hi I am trying to find out the best way to find out how long a command takes to run in miliseconds .. Is there such a way of doing this in Unix ? Thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: cfoxwell
3 Replies

2. Programming

fwrite takes extremely long time

After my previous thread, I think I found out what causes the long delays. I run this program on several Linux computers, and the sometimes (after the file with the arrays becomes big) the fwrite takes between 100 ms to 900 ms. This is very bad for me, as I want a timer to halt each 30 ms.... ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: inna
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Killing a process that takes too long

Hello, I have a C program that takes anywhere from 5 to 100 arguments and I'd like to run it from a script that makes sure it doesnt take too long to execute. If the C program takes more than 5 seconds to execute, i would like the shell script to kill it and return a short message to the user. ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: WeezelDs
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

time how long it takes to load a module

Hello, like the title says, how can i measure the time it takes to load a module in Linux, and how how can i measure the time it takes to load a statically compiled module. /Best Regards Olle ---------- Post updated at 01:13 PM ---------- Previous update was at 11:54 AM ---------- For... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ollebanan
0 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

sort takes a long time

Dear experts I have a 200MG text file in this format: text \tab number I try to sort using options -fd and it takes very long! is that normal or I can speed it up in some ways? I dont want to split the file since this one is already splitted. I use this command: sort -fd file >... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: voolek
12 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Wget takes a long time to complete

Hi, I wish to check the return value for wget $url. However, some urls are designed to take 45 minutes or more to return. All i need to check if the URL can be reached or not using wget. How can i get wget to return the value in a few seconds ? (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohtashims
8 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Timeout to abolish ssh connection command it takes too long

Hi, I am running a ssh connection test in a script, how can I add a timeout to abolish the process if it takes too long? ssh -i ~/.ssh/ssl_key useraccount@computer1 Thank you. - j (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: hce
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Find command takes too long to complete

Hi, Below is my find command find /opt/app/websphere -name myfolder -perm -600 | wc -l At time it even takes 20 mins to complete. my OS is : SunOS mypc 5.10 Generic_150400-09 sun4v sparc SUNW,T5440 (10 Replies)
10 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find command takes long

Hi, I am trying to search for a Directory called "mont" under a directory path "/opt/app/var/dumps" Although "mont" is in the very parent directory called "dumps" i.e "/opt/app/var/dumps/mont" and it can never be inside any Sub-Directory of "dumps"; my below find command which also checks... (5 Replies)
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script takes too long to complete

Hi, I have a lengthy script which i have trimmed down for a test case as below. more run.sh #!/bin/bash paths="allpath.txt" while IFS= read -r loc do echo "Working on $loc" startdir=$loc find "$startdir" -type f \( ! -name "*.log*" ! -name "*.class*" \) -print | while read file do... (8 Replies)
8 Replies
mark(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   mark(1)

NAME
mark - mark messages (only available within the message handling system, mh) SYNOPSIS
mark [+folder] [msgs] [options] OPTIONS
Adds messages to sequences. The mark command takes the messages specified by the msgs argument, and adds them to the sequence named by using the -sequence name option. If no msgs argument is given, the current message is added to the sequence. This option can also be used in conjunction with the -zero option. This option cannot be used in conjunction with the -delete or -list options. If you attempt to use two or more of these options together, mark takes the last occurrence of any of them, and ignores any previous occurrences. Deletes messages from sequences. The mark command removes the messages specified by the msgs argument from the named sequences. As with -add, the sequences are specified using the -sequence name option. If no msgs argument is given, the current message is removed from the named sequences. This option can also be used in conjunction with the -zero option. This option cannot be used in conjunction with the -add or -list options. If you attempt to use two or more of these options together, mark takes the last occurrence of any of them, and ignores any previous occurrences. Prints a list of the valid options to this command. Lists the sequences defined for the current folder and the messages associated with those sequences. If you wish to list only particular sequences in a folder, you can specify them by using the -sequence name option. If you do not use this option, mark lists all the sequences in the current folder. You can also list sequences in another folder by using the +folder argu- ment. This option cannot be used in conjunction with the -add or -delete options. If you attempt to use two or more of these options together, mark takes the last occurrence of any of them, and ignores any previous occurrences. The mark command automatically lists the sequences in the folder unless you use the -add or -delete options, or unless you give a msgs argument. Indicates that the sequence being created should be made readable for other MH users. When you use the -add option to create a sequence, the -public option makes the sequence public, that is, readable to other MH users. By contrast, the -nopublic option indicates that the sequence should be private, or exclusive to your own MH environment. Specifies the sequence(s) you wish to list or modify. You use this option in conjunction with the -add, -delete, and -list options, to name the sequences you wish to add messages to, delete messages from, or list. You can name more than one sequence by listing the names with a space separating them; you do not need to repeat -sequence before each sequence name. Modifies the behavior of the -add and -delete options. If you use the -zero option with -add, all messages are removed from the named sequence before the new messages are added to it. This means that the sequence contains only the new messages that you have just added. The -nozero option simply adds the new mes- sages to the existing sequence, without deleting any of the messages already in the sequence. This is the default behavior. If you use -zero with -delete, all of the messages in the folder are added to the named sequence, and then the messages you specify are deleted from the sequence. This means that the sequence contains all the messages in the folder except those that you have named. The -nozero option simply removes the messages you specify from the sequence, leaving the rest of the contents of the sequence intact. This is the default behavior. The defaults for this command are: +folder defaults to the current folder msgs defaults to the current message (or all messages if -list is specified) -add if a msgs argument is specified, -list otherwise -nopublic if the folder is read-only, -public otherwise -nozero DESCRIPTION
Use the mark command to assign a name to a sequence of messages within the current folder. A sequence is a number of messages that are grouped together under a name. You can then use that name with any MH command instead of a mes- sage number, to perform the command on all the messages in the sequence. You can still continue to handle messages individually when they belong to a sequence, just as you did before. Sequences are specific to a particular folder. You can use the same name for sequences in different folders without causing problems. By default, mark operates on the sequences in the current folder. You can specify another folder by using the +folder argument. When you create a sequence using mark, the ordering of messages within the folder remains unchanged. So if messages 3, 7 and 9 are put into the sequence, they are still numbered as messages 3, 7 and 9 when you use scan to list the contents of the folder. The scan command does not show you what sequences messages belong to; you must use mark to find this information. The mark command is used only to modify sequences, not messages. If you delete a message from a sequence using mark, it remains in the folder. However, when a message is deleted or moved from a folder (for example, using rmm(1) or refile(1)), it is removed from all the sequences in that folder. RESTRICTIONS
MH allows a maximum of ten sequences in any folder. The names of sequences must consist entirely of alphabetic or numeric characters, and must begin with an alphabetic character. Punctuation is not allowed. In addition, certain names are reserved for use by MH. These include first, next, prev, and cur. PROFILE COMPONENTS
Path: To determine your Mail directory EXAMPLES
The first example shows how mark lists all the sequences in a named folder: % mark cur: 20 Admail: 1 5 9-12 test: 3-7 This output is identical to that produced by using the -list option. The next example creates a sequence called odd, containing the first five odd-numbered messages: % mark -add -sequence odd 1 3 5 7 9% mark cur: 20 Admail: 1 5 9-12 odd: 1 3 5 7 9 test: 3-7 The next example deletes message 3 from the sequences test and odd: % mark -delete -sequence test odd 3% mark cur: 20 Admail: 1 5 9-12 odd: 1 5 7 9 test: 4-7 The final example illustrates how the -zero option works with -add. All messages are first removed from the sequence test, and then messages 1 to 3 are added. The result is that test contains only messages 1 to 3: % mark -add -zero -sequence test 1-3 % mark cur: 20 Admail: 1 5 9-12 odd: 1 5 7 9 test: 1-3 FILES
The user profile. SEE ALSO
folder(1), pick(1), sortm(1) mark(1)