Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers UNIX: Executing command using variable Post 303044936 by jake19 on Monday 9th of March 2020 09:57:03 AM
Old 03-09-2020
Its failing on the pipe character at |. Try to escape it with a backslash like "df -kh\|head -2"

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Executing UNIX command from java on NT

Hi - I am totally new to UNIX so please bear with me... I run a java program on Win NT server to do file ftp to UNIX server. I log in, cd, create ftp file on UNIX and quit from my java progam - all works well. Now I want to execute a script on UNIX. At the UNIX 'console'/'shell' (!?) you... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: CJ Walt
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

taking every variable and executing the command

Hi, I am trying to export some 50 tables and i want to write a loop and execute the script for every table. I did for one table and its running. Can any one help me for setting a loop and running the script for all the tables thanks (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: srichunduru
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

executing *.bat file on windows from Unix box via ftp command

I have created get_list.bat file containing following line: dir /B /O-d >file_list.txt I am executing ftp command from Unix box and transferring get_list.bat file to windows server. In my next ftp command I am trying to execute this test.bat file by entering this line: get_list or by... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: alx
9 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Executing a unix command

Hi, I need to execute the following unix command through my java code - zip -e When i execute this command from the command prompt, i am prompted for a password in the following manner - Enter password: Verify password: Is it possible to provide the password inthe first command itself... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jacob23
5 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

unix script for repeating a command with a variable

Hi need urgent help , for creating unix script . To collect system name,This is command i want to execute n (integer) no. of times for for a differnt IP addresses .IP is variable in every execution. Other string & collecter name is constant . snmpGet %IP% sysName.0 -c <string> -S <datacollecter... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: langdatyagi
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

bash variable - unix command

I want to just run this command from a bash script and put it in variable. date '+%M' gives the minutes in solaris. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: photon
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

invoke unix variable in SED command

Hi, I am trying tio invoke unix variable in a sed command like below, but it seems to be failing.. a=1 sed -n '$a,$p' file.txt ### Failing but a=1 sed -n '1,$p' files.txt ### Works fine Please help me to fix this... Thanks in advance (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vjayraghavan
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Executing a variable that strores a unix command string

Hi: I have a touble with executing a variable that stores a unix command string. The following would be excuted fine: command='ls -l' `echo $command` However, the following gives me an error: command='(uuencode file1 file1; uuencode file2 file2) | mailx email_id' `echo... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sagewise
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Error executing sqlcmd command through UNIX

Hi All, I am trying to execute a set of sql statements in sql server 2008 using the sqlcmd command in unix and passing the query in the "input" parameter. It is giving me an error "incorrect syntax near 2014". The below statement is giving an error : declare date_val datetime, ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Rahul Raj
4 Replies

10. Solaris

How to find IP of user machine executing a particular UNIX command?

Hello, Our applications are deployed in SunOS 5.10 servers. All the team members use a same username/pwd to login to the box. Very often we face issue were we could see that weblogic server instance are KILLED and we are not able to trace who executed kill command. All team members use PUTTY to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: santtarius
2 Replies
SEQ(1)							    BSD General Commands Manual 						    SEQ(1)

NAME
seq -- print sequences of numbers SYNOPSIS
seq [-w] [-f format] [-s string] [-t string] [first [incr]] last DESCRIPTION
The seq utility prints a sequence of numbers, one per line (default), from first (default 1), to near last as possible, in increments of incr (default 1). When first is larger than last the default incr is -1. All numbers are interpreted as floating point. Normally integer values are printed as decimal integers. The seq utility accepts the following options: -f format Use a printf(3) style format to print each number. Only the E, e, f, G, g, and % conversion characters are valid, along with any optional flags and an optional numeric minimum field width or precision. The format can contain character escape sequences in backslash notation as defined in ANSI X3.159-1989 (``ANSI C89''). The default is %g. -s string Use string to separate numbers. The string can contain character escape sequences in backslash notation as defined in ANSI X3.159-1989 (``ANSI C89''). The default is . -t string Use string to terminate sequence of numbers. The string can contain character escape sequences in backslash notation as defined in ANSI X3.159-1989 (``ANSI C89''). This option is useful when the default separator does not contain a . -w Equalize the widths of all numbers by padding with zeros as necessary. This option has no effect with the -f option. If any sequence numbers will be printed in exponential notation, the default conversion is changed to %e. The seq utility exits 0 on success and non-zero if an error occurs. EXAMPLES
# seq 1 3 1 2 3 # seq 3 1 3 2 1 # seq -w 0 .05 .1 0.00 0.05 0.10 SEE ALSO
jot(1), printf(1), printf(3) HISTORY
The seq command first appeared in Plan 9 from Bell Labs. A seq command appeared in NetBSD 3.0, and ported to FreeBSD 9.0. This command was based on the command of the same name in Plan 9 from Bell Labs and the GNU core utilities. The GNU seq command first appeared in the 1.13 shell utilities release. BUGS
The -w option does not handle the transition from pure floating point to exponent representation very well. The seq command is not bug for bug compatible with the Plan 9 from Bell Labs or GNU versions of seq. BSD
February 19, 2010 BSD