Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers Error when running script involving machine name and local network Post 303044858 by honeyhamlet on Thursday 5th of March 2020 10:57:53 AM
Old 03-05-2020
Error when running script involving machine name and local network

Hi everyone, I'm trying to write a script that takes a machine name as a command line argument and displays a message informing me whether the host is on the local network.

Here's what I have:

Code:
#!/bin/bash
gateway=$(ip route | grep default | cut -d' ' -f3)

if [[ $(ip route get "$1" | grep -q $gateway) ]]; then

echo "$1 is on the local network"

else

echo "$1 is not on the local network"

fi

Whenever I run it with my machine name (ubuntu) I get the following output:

Code:
Error: any valid prefix is expected rather than "ubuntu".
ubuntu is not on the local network

I'm not sure what the error means and why I'm getting it, as well as if the script is even doing what it should be doing. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Executing shell script on local machine

Hi guys, I need to run and test some shell script. At work, i work on ksh. I don't have any such software/client installed at home and i cannot always connect to work from home. At home i have Windows Vista. Is there a free and reliable software where i can run my ksh script? Please let me... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jakSun8
4 Replies

2. Red Hat

To find the LATEST file from a dir on REMOTE machine and SCP to local machine?

Hi All, URGENT - Please help me form a scipt for this: I need the LATEST file from a dir on REMOTE machine to be SCP'd to a dir on local machine. (and I need to execute this from local server) I know that the below cmd is used to find the LATEST file from a dir. But this command is not... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: me_ub
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

check web server running on local and on remote machine

Hi , How to check whether web server is running from remote machine How to check whether web server is running on web server itself Can any one help me soon (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: satheeshkr_cse
1 Replies

4. Programming

shell scripting problems involving operations with remote machine

Hi, i have been developing a shell script to transfer a set of files from one ubuntu system to another. Task: while executing the script the files ( ls, dir, cat) in the source machine should transfer to destination machine(at /home/mac/mac/bin) While the script is executed once again, It... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: srijith
0 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to transfer files from unix machine to local machine using shell script?

Hi All.. Am new to Unix!! Am creating a shell script in which a scenario is like i have transfer the output file from unix machine (Server) to local directory (Windows xp). And also i have to transfer the input file from the local directory to Unix machine (Server) Any help from you... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vidhyaS
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

FTP While transfering files to local machine to remote machine

Hi Am using unix Ksh Am getting the problem while transferring zero size files through the script . When i transfer zero size files from local machine to remote machine manually i can able to do it . My question its beause of zero size files am not able to transfer through script ? or its... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Venkatesh1
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

To run a local shell script in a remote machine by passing arguments to the local shell script

I need to run a local shell script on a remote machine. I am able to achieve that by executing the command > ssh -qtt user@host < test.sh However, when I try to pass arguments to test.sh it fails. Any pointers would be appreciated. (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sree10
7 Replies

8. Red Hat

iptables applied in local machine, can't ssh remote machine after chain changed to DROP

I want to SSH to 192.168.1.15 Server from my machine, my ip was 192.168.1.99 Source Destination was UP, with IP 192.168.1.15. This is LAN Network there are 30 Machine's Connected to the network and working fine, I'm Playing around the local machine's because I need to apply the same rules in... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: babinlonston
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with fetching the data from remote machine from my jumpbox(local machine)

Team, Presently i am running a script from my local box(i.e jumpbox) to all the remote machines.Basically fetching basic queries like pwd,mkdir,touch etc and i am able to successfully fetch it from my local machine.But when i want to check certain database related queries like the dbstat... (20 Replies)
Discussion started by: whizkidash
20 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How can I execute local script on remote machine and include arguments?

I have a script in local server cd /home/dell/work/BOP/testdir ./processchk po (here processchk is a script & po is passed as an argument) Now I want to execute this script from remote server ssh $username@$hostname "cd /home/dell/work/BOP/testdir; ./processchk po" But Its getting error... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: manohar2013
9 Replies
SNMPNETSTAT(1)							     Net-SNMP							    SNMPNETSTAT(1)

NAME
snmpnetstat - show network status using SNMP SYNOPSIS
snmpnetstat [common arguments] [-a] [-n] host snmpnetstat [common arguments] [-iors] [-n] host snmpnetstat [common arguments] [-i] [-n] [-I interface] host [interval] snmpnetstat [common arguments] [-a] [-n] [-P protocol] host DESCRIPTION
The snmpnetstat command symbolically displays the values of various network-related information retrieved from a remote system using the SNMP protocol. There are a number of output formats, depending on the options for the information presented. The first form of the com- mand displays a list of active sockets. The second form presents the values of other network-related information according to the option selected. Using the third form, with an interval specified, snmpnetstat will continuously display the information regarding packet traffic on the configured network interfaces. The fourth form displays statistics about the named protocol. The hostname specification may be either a host name or an internet address specified in "dot notation". The version 1 and version 2c community specifies the community name for the transaction with the remote system. The options have the following meaning: -a With the default display, show the state of all sockets; normally sockets used by server processes are not shown. -i Show the state of all of the interfaces. -o Show an abbreviated interface status, giving octets in place of packets. This is useful when enquiring virtual interfaces (such as Frame-Relay circuits) on a Cisco router. -I interface Show information only about this interface; used with an interval as described below. -n Show network addresses as numbers (normally snmpnetstat interprets addresses and attempts to display them symbolically). This option may be used with any of the display formats. -P protocol Show statistics about protocol, which is either a well-known name for a protocol or an alias for it. Some protocol names and aliases are listed in the file /etc/protocols. A null response typically means that there are no interesting numbers to report. The program will complain if protocol is unknown or if there is no statistics routine for it. -s Show per-protocol statistics. -r Show the routing tables. When -s is also present, show routing statistics instead. The default display, for active sockets, shows the local and remote addresses, protocol, and the internal state of the protocol. Address formats are of the form ``host.port'' or ``network.port'' if a socket's address specifies a network but no specific host address. When known the host and network addresses are displayed symbolically according to the data bases /etc/hosts and /etc/networks, respectively. If a symbolic name for an address is unknown, or if the -n option is specified, the address is printed numerically, according to the address family. For more information regarding the Internet ``dot format,'' refer to inet(3N). Unspecified, or ``wildcard'', addresses and ports appear as ``*''. The interface display provides a table of cumulative statistics regarding packets transferred, errors, and collisions. The network addresses of the interface and the maximum transmission unit (``mtu'') are also displayed. The routing table display indicates the available routes and their status. Each route consists of a destination host or network and a gateway to use in forwarding packets. The flags field shows the state of the route (``U'' if ``up''), whether the route is to a gateway (``G''), whether the route was created dynamically by a redirect (``D''), and whether the route has been modified by a redirect (``M''). Direct routes are created for each interface attached to the local host; the gateway field for such entries shows the address of the outgo- ing interface. The interface entry indicates the network interface utilized for the route. When snmpnetstat is invoked with an interval argument, it displays a running count of statistics related to network interfaces. This dis- play consists of a column for the primary interface and a column summarizing information for all interfaces. The primary interface may be replaced with another interface with the -I option. The first line of each screen of information contains a summary since the system was last rebooted. Subsequent lines of output show values accumulated over the preceding interval. SEE ALSO
snmpcmd(1), iostat(1), vmstat(1), hosts(5), networks(5), protocols(5), services(5). BUGS
The notion of errors is ill-defined. 4.2 Berkeley Distribution 21 Aug 2000 SNMPNETSTAT(1)