Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers Should I use a CoW filesystem on my PC if I only wanted snapshot capabilities ? Post 303044797 by stomp on Wednesday 4th of March 2020 05:42:58 AM
Old 03-04-2020
Another comment:

A con against zfs is the inability to remove VDEVs. A VDEV is a subpart of a volume.

Example:

Say you have a data volume consisting of a single disk(=vdev, 1 TB). You decide to replace your vdev of a single disk with a raid-1 vdev(1 TB), since you want add redundancy to be safe in case of a disk crash. That's possible. Over the years, you add another 2 vdevs(2x2TB,2x4TB) with raid-1 arrays. So you then have 3 vdevs making up your volume consisting of 2 disks each with an overall capacity of 7 TB.

You now decide you want to increase your storage again and simultaneously reorganize your 3 x raid1(6 disks=>7 TB usable) to 1 x raidz2(5x6 TB =>18 TB usable) to be able to cope with more simulateous disk crashes(2 disk crashes without data loss here) and at the same time reduce the number of active disks(6->5).

With zfs this is only possible by reformatting, since device removal is not fully supported by now. So you have to copy all the data, which must be done offline. ZFS top level device removal is in development at the moment, but i expect some years to pass until even raidz vdevs can be removed.

With LVM you can just add the new underlying disks and remove the old disks. No problem. All is possible to be done online. Btrfs can do that to and is even flexible to do more advanced migrations.

And Here are some experience reports about btrfs and zfs from users:

ZFS Vs BTRFS : linux

Some not to long gone data loss stories about btrfs are also there. I assume the cause may be lacking knowledge about file system operation. But of course that's only a suspicion.

Last edited by stomp; 03-04-2020 at 06:52 AM..

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix Capabilities?

We are looking into buying a new software, billing software that is, and want to know if you can run that on the same UNIX server as another major software? Is there a limit to the different types of software Unix can run, or is it like windows where you can install as many as you like? ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hoz
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

p570 Capabilities

Hi there. I've been tasked with making a new design for our Unix systems :eek: Now the question I have is; How many LPARs can a p570 hold WITHOUT using a VIO Server. Many Thanks Kees (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: KeesH
1 Replies

3. Red Hat

Adding capabilities to an RPM

Hi. I downloaded a package that could only be installed on RHEL5, and not 4 or 3, so I got the source in order to compile it on RHEL 3 so hopefully it will work on all versions. So I have the source for a working package, but when I build it in RHEL 3 and then try to install it in RHEL 5, it... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Boaz
6 Replies

4. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

Wanted: Geographically distributed filesystem solution

I'm looking for a means to ensure that servers in the two or three datacenters, connected in a ring via IP through two ISPs, can distribute load and/or replicate data among at least two SAN-class disk devices. I want to evaluate several solutions, and I'm open to solutions ranging from free,... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: otheus
6 Replies

5. Solaris

Cannot use filesystem while sending a snapshot

I've got a Solaris 11 Express installed on my machine. I have created a raidz2 zpool named shares and a simple one-disc zpool named backup. I have made a script that would send a daily snapshot of shares to backup. I use these commands zfs snapshot shares@DDMMRRRRHHMM zfs send -i shares@....... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: RychnD
10 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Use of Capabilities

I wonder if anyone could assist with some problems I'm having with Linux Capabilities and their use when using the commands "nice" and "schedtool". I run a couple of PCs, one is an elderly AMD Sempron 2800+ (32-bit, 2GHz clock and 3GB memory) that is used as a family multimedia system running... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: MikeGM
3 Replies

7. Linux

Broadcom under Fedora 18 (Spherical Cow)

So I'm having a problem getting a Broadcom BCM4312 wireless controller to work under the broadcom-wl module $uname Linux 3.8.11-200.fc18.x86_64 #1 SMP Wed May 1 19:44:27 UTC 2013 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux lspci -v 05:00.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4312 802.11b/g... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Skrynesaver
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Linux capabilities discussion

Hi I'm trying to compile my linux kernel with CONFIG_SECURITY_CAPABILITIES=y. any idea what this thing does ?? Also another question , If I compile the kernel that I'm currently using , what'll happen ? ~cheers (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: leghorn
3 Replies

9. What is on Your Mind?

Anybody want to talk about Dirty Cow?

Hi All, How worried is everyone about the Dirty Cow Linux exploit? Has anybody experienced attacks yet? From the research I've done it seems that the exploit is "reliable" (that is it works nearly every time on vulverable systems) which is not good news. We all believe that Unix/Linux... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: hicksd8
3 Replies
raidtab(5)							File Formats Manual							raidtab(5)

NAME
raidtab - configuration file for md (RAID) devices DESCRIPTION
/etc/raidtab is the default configuration file for the raid tools (raidstart and company). It defines how RAID devices are configured on a system. FORMAT
/etc/raidtab has multiple sections, one for each md device which is being configured. Each section begins with the raiddev keyword. The order of items in the file is important. Later raiddev entries can use earlier ones (which allows RAID-10, for example), and the parsing code isn't overly bright, so be sure to follow the ordering in this man page for best results. Here's a sample md configuration file: # # sample raiddev configuration file # 'old' RAID0 array created with mdtools. # raiddev /dev/md0 raid-level 0 nr-raid-disks 2 persistent-superblock 0 chunk-size 8 device /dev/hda1 raid-disk 0 device /dev/hdb1 raid-disk 1 raiddev /dev/md1 raid-level 5 nr-raid-disks 3 nr-spare-disks 1 persistent-superblock 1 parity-algorithm left-symmetric device /dev/sda1 raid-disk 0 device /dev/sdb1 raid-disk 1 device /dev/sdc1 raid-disk 2 device /dev/sdd1 spare-disk 0 Here is more information on the directives which are in raid configuration files; the options are listen in this file in the same order they should appear in the actual configuration file. raiddev device This introduces the configuration section for the stated device. nr-raid-disks count Number of raid devices in the array; there should be count raid-disk entries later in the file. (current maximum limit for RAID devices -including spares- is 12 disks. This limit is already extended to 256 disks in experimental patches.) nr-spare-disks count Number of spare devices in the array; there should be count spare-disk entries later in the file. Spare disks may only be used with RAID4 and RAID5, and allow the kernel to automatically build new RAID disks as needed. It is also possible to add/remove spares run- time via raidhotadd/raidhotremove, care has to be taken that the /etc/raidtab configuration exactly follows the actual configuration of the array. (raidhotadd/raidhotremove does not change the configuration file) persistent-superblock 0/1 newly created RAID arrays should use a persistent superblock. A persistent superblock is a small disk area allocated at the end of each RAID device, this helps the kernel to safely detect RAID devices even if disks have been moved between SCSI controllers. It can be used for RAID0/LINEAR arrays too, to protect against accidental disk mixups. (the kernel will either correctly reorder disks, or will refuse to start up an array if something has happened to any member disk. Of course for the 'fail-safe' RAID variants (RAID1/RAID5) spares are activated if any disk fails.) Every member disk/partition/device has a superblock, which carries all information necessary to start up the whole array. (for autodetection to work all the 'member' RAID partitions should be marked type 0xfd via fdisk) The superblock is not visible in the final RAID array and cannot be destroyed accidentally through usage of the md device files, all RAID data content is available for filesystem use. parity-algorithm which The parity-algorithm to use with RAID5. It must be one of left-asymmetric, right-asymmetric, left-symmetric, or right-symmetric. left-symmetric is the one that offers maximum performance on typical disks with rotating platters. chunk-size size Sets the stripe size to size kilobytes. Has to be a power of 2 and has a compilation-time maximum of 4M. (MAX_CHUNK_SIZE in the ker- nel driver) typical values are anything from 4k to 128k, the best value should be determined by experimenting on a given array, alot depends on the SCSI and disk configuration. device devpath Adds the device devpath to the list of devices which comprise the raid system. Note that this command must be followed by one of raid-disk, spare-disk, or parity-disk. Also note that it's possible to recursively define RAID arrays, ie. to set up a RAID5 array of RAID5 arrays. (thus achieving two-disk failure protection, at the price of more disk space spent on RAID5 checksum blocks) raid-disk index The most recently defined device is inserted at position index in the raid array. spare-disk index The most recently defined device is inserted at position index in the spare disk array. parity-disk index The most recently defined device is moved to the end of the raid array, which forces it to be used for parity. failed-disk index The most recently defined device is inserted at position index in the raid array as a failed device. This allows you to create raid 1/4/5 devices in degraded mode - useful for installation. Don't use the smallest device in an array for this, put this after the raid-disk definitions! NOTES
The raidtools are derived from the md-tools and raidtools packages, which were originally written by Marc Zyngier, Miguel de Icaza, Gadi Oxman, Bradley Ward Allen, and Ingo Molnar. SEE ALSO
raidstart(8), raid0run(8), mkraid(8), raidstop(8) raidtab(5)