Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Unable to find files using wildcard on AIX. Post 303044239 by MadeInGermany on Monday 17th of February 2020 06:50:11 AM
Old 02-17-2020
Attention, the standard shell and find glob has [!p] - [^p] is a GNU/libc extension.
(But the latter is standard in RegularExpression.)

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Find wildcard .shtml files in wildcard directories and removing them- How's it done?

I'm trying to figure out how to build a small shell script that will find old .shtml files in every /tgp/ directory on the server and delete them if they are older than 10 days... The structure of the paths are like this: /home/domains/www.domain2.com/tgp/ /home/domains/www.domain3.com/tgp/... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Neko
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Wildcard in Cshell find command

The following command works fine in my cshell script: set Deliverables = `find . -name "eliverables" -print` The following command does not work: set LASFiles = `find . -name "*." -print` In the first example, when tested in an if statement, the script will continue whether a... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: phudgens
3 Replies

3. Solaris

Problem in using wildcard characters in xargs with find

Hi, Under my parent diectory I have directory named "Response" in many of its subfolders. I am interested to see all files with extention .pro in Response Directory. I am giving following command - find . -name "Response" -type d | xargs -i ls -lrt {}/*.pro but it is not giving result. ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sanjay1979
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find replace a particular string of data with wildcard

Hi I am having a csv file in which lots of data are available wherein i need to find a particular kind of data and replace it with null value. here is the sample data.. I need to find the string starting with 404-064- and up to the first space i have to remove the data and keep the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: aemunathan
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

find command with wildcard directory

I want to look if there is any file inside a specific directory which was modified before 2 days. I wrote the find command, but the problem is there is one directory and that is a random directory generated by unix, so not sure on how to code for that on the find command. find... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: srini0603
5 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unable to find files using wild card search

Hi All, My server is AIX and i am trying to search for a file in a specific path in directory. The file name can be of two types: Position_20131114.csv Position123333_20131114.csv I am trying to assign a SOURCEFILE variable as mentioned below:, but i am unable to find/locate the files... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: abhi_123
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unable to find files, those can be present anywhere in the directory tree,based on its creation date

Hi I am unable to find files, those are present anywhere in the same directory tree, based on the creation date. I need to find the files with their path, as I need to create them in another location and move them. I need some help with a script that may do the job. Please help (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sam192837465
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Find and replace with wildcard

HI there, I am trying to find and replace with wildcard with data chr1 69511 69511 A G 1/1:0,34:791,78,0:78:34 0/1:55,60:1130,0,1513:99:116 1/1:0,28:630,63,0:63:28 0/1:0,34:626,57,0:57:34 To this chr1 69511 69511 A G homo hetero homo hetero Where I find and replace 0/1 with... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: daashti
3 Replies

9. AIX

Issue with wildcard in filename (AIX 7.1.0.0)

Hi, This has been pestering me for quite a while, any help will be highly appreciated The current directory has a file with below name npidata_20050523-20171210.csv The below wildcard matched the above file ls -ltr npidata_????????-201712??.csv But when the part '201712' is put... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: zulfi123786
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unable to grep using wildcard in a file.

I wish to check if my file has a line that does not start with '#' and has 1. Listen and 2. 443 echo "Listen 443" > test.out grep 'Listen *443' test.out | grep -v '#' Listen 443 The above worked fine but when the entry changes to the below the grep fails... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohtashims
2 Replies
GLOB(3) 						     Linux Programmer's Manual							   GLOB(3)

NAME
glob, globfree - find pathnames matching a pattern, free memory from glob() SYNOPSIS
#include <glob.h> int glob(const char *pattern, int flags, int errfunc(const char *epath, int eerrno), glob_t *pglob); void globfree(glob_t *pglob); DESCRIPTION
The glob() function searches for all the pathnames matching pattern according to the rules used by the shell (see glob(7)). No tilde expansion or parameter substitution is done; if you want these, use wordexp(3). The globfree() function frees the dynamically allocated storage from an earlier call to glob(). The results of a glob() call are stored in the structure pointed to by pglob, which is a glob_t which is declared in <glob.h> and includes the following elements defined by POSIX.2 (more may be present as an extension): typedef struct { size_t gl_pathc; /* Count of paths matched so far */ char **gl_pathv; /* List of matched pathnames. */ size_t gl_offs; /* Slots to reserve in `gl_pathv'. */ } glob_t; Results are stored in dynamically allocated storage. The parameter flags is made up of bitwise OR of zero or more the following symbolic constants, which modify the of behaviour of glob(): GLOB_ERR which means to return upon read error (because a directory does not have read permission, for example), GLOB_MARK which means to append a slash to each path which corresponds to a directory, GLOB_NOSORT which means don't sort the returned pathnames (they are by default), GLOB_DOOFFS which means that pglob->gl_offs slots will be reserved at the beginning of the list of strings in pglob->pathv, GLOB_NOCHECK which means that, if no pattern matches, to return the original pattern, GLOB_APPEND which means to append to the results of a previous call. Do not set this flag on the first invocation of glob(). GLOB_NOESCAPE which means that meta characters cannot be quoted by backslashes. The flags may also include some of the following, which are GNU extensions and not defined by POSIX.2: GLOB_PERIOD which means that a leading period can be matched by meta characters, GLOB_ALTDIRFUNC which means that alternative functions pglob->gl_closedir, pglob->gl_readdir, pglob->gl_opendir, pglob->gl_lstat, and pglob->gl_stat are used for file system access instead of the normal library functions, GLOB_BRACE which means that csh(1) style brace expresions {a,b} are expanded, GLOB_NOMAGIC which means that the pattern is returned if it contains no metacharacters, GLOB_TILDE which means that tilde expansion is carried out, and GLOB_ONLYDIR which means that only directories are matched. If errfunc is not NULL, it will be called in case of an error with the arguments epath, a pointer to the path which failed, and eerrno, the value of errno as returned from one of the calls to opendir(), readdir(), or stat(). If errfunc returns non-zero, or if GLOB_ERR is set, glob() will terminate after the call to errfunc. Upon successful return, pglob->gl_pathc contains the number of matched pathnames and pglob->gl_pathv a pointer to the list of matched path- names. The first pointer after the last pathname is NULL. It is possible to call glob() several times. In that case, the GLOB_APPEND flag has to be set in flags on the second and later invoca- tions. As a GNU extension, pglob->gl_flags is set to the flags specified, ored with GLOB_MAGCHAR if any metacharacters were found. RETURN VALUE
On successful completion, glob() returns zero. Other possible returns are: GLOB_NOSPACE for running out of memory, GLOB_ABORTED for a read error, and GLOB_NOMATCH for no found matches. EXAMPLES
One example of use is the following code, which simulates typing ls -l *.c ../*.c in the shell. glob_t globbuf; globbuf.gl_offs = 2; glob("*.c", GLOB_DOOFFS, NULL, &globbuf); glob("../*.c", GLOB_DOOFFS | GLOB_APPEND, NULL, &globbuf); globbuf.gl_pathv[0] = "ls"; globbuf.gl_pathv[1] = "-l"; execvp("ls", &globbuf.gl_pathv[0]); CONFORMING TO
POSIX.2 BUGS
The glob() function may fail due to failure of underlying function calls, such as malloc() or opendir(). These will store their error code in errno. NOTES
The structure elements gl_pathc and gl_offs are declared as size_t in glibc 2.1, as they should according to POSIX.2, but are declared as int in libc4, libc5 and glibc 2.0. SEE ALSO
ls(1), sh(1), stat(2), exec(3), malloc(3), opendir(3), readdir(3), wordexp(3), glob(7) GNU
1999-09-12 GLOB(3)