Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers Connecting printer to SYSPRINTER Post 303044136 by Neo on Saturday 15th of February 2020 12:53:01 AM
Old 02-15-2020
vbe is correct.

Before diving into "answer" the OP needs to inform everyone exactly how the printer is connected to the server.

Serial? Parallel? USB? Network? Hamsters?

What are you using to install the printer? CUPS?

Code:
https://www.cups.org/

What are you using to view the status of the printer(s)?

These are some of the basic questions SergevdH needs to address to start to solve his problem.

See also:

Code:
https://github.com/apple/cups

For example (from above ref);

Code:
SETTING UP PRINTER QUEUES FROM THE COMMAND-LINE

CUPS currently uses PPD (PostScript Printer Description) files that describe printer capabilities and driver programs needed for each printer. The everywhere PPD is used for nearly all modern networks printers sold since about 2009. For example, the following command creates a print queue for a printer at address "11.22.33.44":

lpadmin -p printername -E -v ipp://11.22.33.44/ipp/print -m everywhere

7 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Linux

know I do for to printer in printer deskjet 80colun

I want to print some thing in HP Deskjet 692.? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: edvaldo
1 Replies

2. IP Networking

How do you send printer codes to an IP printer

We were printing to a serial laser printer with all the HP codes to generate a form (i.e. lines, boxes, etc.) Thus the file is filled w/ control codes. We are switching to an IP printer and we can no longer print directly to the device (i.e. cp text /dev/tty11). It looks like we have to use the lp... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jeffbugfree
2 Replies

3. AIX

Connecting to DB

Is it possible to connect to two databases in a single query with different username and passwords? provide an example pls (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rollthecoin
1 Replies

4. Solaris

Configuring Printer with Printer Manager

Hi All, I am trying to configure printer in solaris 10 with the help of print manager. There is no printer attached to my system, ia m doing it for test purpose. However I am unable to do so coz its pops up window - Heading as error with option as dismiss and cancel. Kindly help as I am... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kumarmani
3 Replies

5. AIX

Check printer queue on Windows printer server

Hello Let me first give a small overview of the setup. All printers are connected to Windows 2000 servers. There are a lot of UNIX (AIX & HP-UX) servers as well which have SAP running. I'm working on a script to add printers to a specified SAP instance. I want to verify the user input (to... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: NielsV
0 Replies

6. Linux

Find printer location and printer type

Hi, Is it possible to find the printer location and printer type (whether it is local or network) using command in Linux ? Thanks in advance. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: forumguest
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Printing, SYSPRINTER, IP printing

Dear readers, We have a printer problem with a UNIX system. The OS is Unix IRIX 6.5 We have connected a printerto the system. If we then make a test print everything goes well . (IP printing) But if we make a print from the "orrga,i"program. Then we see all the printouts stuck within the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: SergevdH
3 Replies
CUPS-GENPPD(8)						      Gutenprint Manual Pages						    CUPS-GENPPD(8)

NAME
cups-genppd - generate Gutenprint PPD files for use with CUPS SYNOPSIS
cups-genppd [-c localedir] [-l locale] [-p prefix] [-q] [-v] model1 [model2, ...modeln] cups-genppd -L [-c localedir] cups-genppd -M [-v] cups-genppd -h cups-genppd -V DESCRIPTION
cups-genppd generates Gutenprint PPD files for use with CUPS. The default behavior is to output PPD files for all models of printer that the Gutenprint printer driver library supports. You may restrict the models by listing either the driver names or the full names of the printers you wish to generate PPD files for after any options. Additionally, the PPD files may be localised, that is, translated, to use your native language rather than US English. There are commands to find out what printer models and languages are supported. EXAMPLES
cups-genppd -v bjc-6200 'Epson Stylus Photo 1280' 'HP DeskJet 850C' verbosely generate three PPD files, listing the driver name in the first case, and the full name in the second. LANG=de_DE genppd -p ppd -c /usr/share/locale generate PPDs for all available models, in directory ppd using the locale data found under /usr/share/locale. The language to use is taken from the environment (de_DE). cups-genppd -L -c /usr/local/share/locale list available languages using the locale data found under /usr/local/share/locale. cups-genppd -M -v list available drivers, with long model descriptions COMMANDS
-h show a help message -L list available translations (message catalogs). If a locale is used for which there is not a corresponding translation, then then US English will be used. -M list available printer models. By default, only driver names are listed; if verbose mode is used, the full model name will also be printed -V show version information and defaults The default behavior is to output PPDs if no command is given. OPTIONS
-c localedir use localedir as the base directory for locale data -l locale output PPDs translated with messages for locale. Note that locale must be a locale as shown by locale -a. For example, the de translation is used by the de_DE locale; de alone will not work. -p prefix output PPDs in directory prefix. Directories are not recursively created. -q Quiet mode. -v Verbose mode. models a list of printer models, either the driver or quoted full name. SEE ALSO
CUPS Software Administrators Manual, http://localhost:631/documentation.html COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 1992-2002 Michael Sweet (mike@easysw.com) This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the terms of the GNU General Public License, version 2, as published by the Free Software Foundation. This manual page was written by Roger Leigh (rleigh@debian.org). Version 5.2.9 07 Jul 2012 CUPS-GENPPD(8)