Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Nearly Random, Uncorrelated Server Load Average Spikes Post 303044064 by Neo on Thursday 13th of February 2020 05:59:31 AM
Old 02-13-2020
Or, I may use atop (they are all very similar linux command line tools for this kind of thing.... )

Thanks for the suggestions and ideas.

It's great to have some outside input; as it is hard to trace spikes like this.

Thank you again.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

load average

we have an unix system which has load average normally about 20. but while i am running a particular unix batch which performs heavy operations on filesystem and database average load reduces to 15. how can we explain this situation? while running that batch idle cpu time is about %60-65... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: gfhgfnhhn
0 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Load Average

Hello all, I have a question about load averages. I've read the man pages for the uptime and w command for two or three different flavors of Unix (Red Hat, Tru64, Solaris). All of them agree that in the output of the 2 aforementioned commands, you are given the load average for the box, but... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Heathe_Kyle
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

top - Load average

Hello, Here is the output of top command. My understanding here is, the load average 0.03 in last 1 min, 0.02 is in last 5 min, 0.00 is in last 15 min. By seeing this load average, When can we say that, the system load averge is too high? When can we say that, load average is medium/low??... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: govindts
8 Replies

4. Solaris

load average query.

Hi, i have installed solaris 10 on t-5120 sparc enterprise. I am little surprised to see load average of 2 or around on this OS. when checked with ps command following process is using highest CPU. looks like it is running for long time and does not want to stop, but I do not know... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: upengan78
5 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Please Help me in my load average

Hello AlL,.. I want from experts to help me as my load average is increased and i dont know where is the problem !! this is my top result : root@a4s # top top - 11:30:38 up 40 min, 1 user, load average: 3.06, 2.49, 4.66 Mem: 8168788k total, 2889596k used, 5279192k free, 47792k... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: black-code
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Load average in UNIX

Hi , I am using 48 CPU sunOS server at my work. The application has facility to check the current load average before starting a new process to control the load. Right now it is configured as 48. So it does mean that each CPU can take maximum one proces and no processe is waiting. ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kumaran_5555
2 Replies

7. Solaris

Load Average and Lwps

NPROC USERNAME SWAP RSS MEMORY TIME CPU 320 oracle 23G 22G 69% 582:55:11 85% 47 root 148M 101M 0.3% 99:29:40 0.3% 53 rafmsdb 38M 60M 0.2% 0:46:17 0.1% 1 smmsp 1296K 5440K 0.0% 0:00:08 0.0% 7 daemon ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: snjksh
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Load average spikes once an hour

Hi, I am getting a high load average, around 7, once an hour. It last for about 4 minutes and makes things fairly unusable for this time. How do I find out what is using this. Looking at top the only thing running at the time is md5sum. I have looked at the crontab and there is nothing... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: sm9ai
10 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help with load average?

how load average is calculated and what exactly is it difference between cpu% and load average (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: robo
9 Replies

10. Programming

ESP32 (ESP-WROOM-32) as an MQTT Client Subscribed to Linux Server Load Average Messages

Here we go.... Preface: ..... so in a galaxy far, far, far away from commercial, data sharing corporations..... For this project, I used the ESP-WROOM-32 as an MQTT (publish / subscribe) client which receives Linux server "load averages" as messages published as MQTT pub/sub messages.... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Neo
6 Replies
trace(1)						      General Commands Manual							  trace(1)

Name
       trace - trace system calls of programs

Syntax
       trace [options] cmd args...

Description
       The  command  with  no flag arguments traces for the given cmd and args all system calls made and prints a time stamp, the PID, call and/or
       return values and arguments and puts its output in the file trace.dump.

Options
       -f filename
	       Puts dump in file filename.

-z      Echos arguments only.

Only one of the following option arguments can be specified at one time.

-c#     Traces given PIDs and their children.  Up to sixteen PIDs can be specified.

-g#     Traces given groups only.  Up to sixteen Group IDs can be specified.

-p#     Traces given PIDs only.	Up to sixteen PIDs can be specified.

-s#     Traces given system calls only.	Up to sixteen PIDs can be specified.

-u#     Traces given UIDs only.	Up to sixteen PIDs can be specified.

Examples
       trace -f ls.dump ls -l /dev >ls.out
       runs the cmd ls -l /dev and puts the trace in ls.dump and output in ls.out.
       trace -f csh.trace -p $$ &
       will trace your login shell in the background. To stop the trace just send it a termination signal (that is, kill -TERM trace_pid).

Restrictions
       Due to security, no one, not even the super-user can trace anyone else's programs. This sort of negates some of the usefulness  of  the	-g
       and -u flags.

The program cannot be traced.

Only 16 numbers can be given to the -c, -p, -g, -u, and -s flags.

The kernel configuration file must contain the following:
       options	       SYS_TRACE
       pseudo-device   sys_trace

In addition, the superuser must use the following command sequence to create the device:
       cd /dev
       MAKEDEV trace
       If both lines are not in the configuration file or if the device is not made, the message "Cannot open /dev/trace" appears.

Files
       /dev/trace     read only character special device for reading syscall data.

trace.dump     default file for the system call trace data.

See Also
       open(2), close(2), ioctl(2), select(2), read(2), trace(5)

trace(1)