Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Count pattern line by line
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers Count pattern line by line Post 303043515 by ctrld on Thursday 30th of January 2020 08:32:05 AM
Old 01-30-2020
Count pattern line by line

I have a file like below with more than 30,000 lines:

Code:
Someword "mypattern blah blah mypattern blah  mypattern  blah "
Someotherword "mypattern blah blah mypattern blah  mypattern  blah"
Someword  "mypattern blah blah blah  mypattern  blah "
Someword "mypattern blah blah mypattern blah  mypattern  mypattern  blah "
Someword "mypattern blah blah mypattern blah  mypattern  blah "

The second column is within quotes and it contains my pattern - "mypattern" which i need to count line by line

I am trying to get a output like this :

Code:
Someword 3
Someotherword 3
Someword  2
Someword 4
Someword 3

Last edited by Scrutinizer; 01-30-2020 at 10:26 AM.. Reason: quote tags -> code tags

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Get the line count from 2nd line of the file ?

Hi, I want to get the line count of the file from the 2nd line of the file ? The first line is header so want to skip that. Thanks. (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: smc3
8 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

find pattern delete line with pattern and line above and line below

I have a file that will sometimes contain a pattern. The pattern is this: W/D FRM CHK 00 I want to find any lines with this pattern, delete those lines, and also delete the line above and the line below. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nickg
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

find pattern, delete line with pattern and line above and line below

I have a file that will sometimes contain a pattern. The pattern is this: FRM CHK 0000 I want to find any lines with this pattern, delete those lines, and also delete the line above and the line below. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: nickg
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl line count if it matches a pattern

#!/usr/bin/perl use Shell; open THEFILE, "C:\galileo_integration.txt" || die "Couldnt open the file!"; @wholeThing = <THEFILE>; close THEFILE; foreach $line (@wholeThing){ if ($line =~ m/\\0$/){ @nextThing = $line; if ($line =~ s/\\0/\\LATEST/g){ @otherThing =... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nmattam
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script to count number of ~ from each line and compare with next line

Hi, I have created one shell script in which it will count number of "~" tilda charactors from each line of the file.But the problem is that i need to count each line count individually, that means. if line one contains 14 "~"s and line two contains 15 "~"s then it should give an error msg.each... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ganesh Khandare
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep the word from pattern line and update in subsequent lines till next pattern line reached

Hi, I have got the below requirement. please suggest. I have a file like, Processing Item is: /data/ing/cfg2/abc.txt /data/ing/cfg3/bgc.txt Processing Item is: /data/cmd/for2/ght.txt /data/kernal/config.klgt.txt I want to process the above file to get the output file like, ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: rbalaj16
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Count number of pattern matches per line for all files in directory

I have a directory of files, each with a variable (though small) number of lines. I would like to go through each line in each file, and print the: -file name -line number -number of matches to the pattern /comp/ for each line. Two example files: cat... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: pathunkathunk
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to combine lines from line with pattern match to a line that ends in a pattern

I am trying to combine lines with these conditions: 1. First line starts with text of "libname VALUE db2 datasrc" where VALUE can be any text. 2. If condition1 is met then continue to combine lines through a line that ends with a semicolon. 3. Ignore case when matching patterns and remove any... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Wes Kem
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Count the pipes "|" in line and delete line if count greter then number.

Hello, I have been working on Awk/sed one liner which counts the number of occurrences of '|' in pipe separated lines of file and delete the line from files if count exceeds "17". i.e need to get records having exact 17 pipe separated fields(no more or less) currently i have below : awk... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ketanraut
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Get an output of lines in pattern 1st line then 10th line then 11th line then 20th line and so on.

Input file: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sagar Singh
6 Replies
STRTOK(3)						   BSD Library Functions Manual 						 STRTOK(3)

NAME
strtok, strtok_r -- string tokens LIBRARY
Standard C Library (libc, -lc) SYNOPSIS
#include <string.h> char * strtok(char *str, const char *sep); char * strtok_r(char *str, const char *sep, char **last); DESCRIPTION
This interface is obsoleted by strsep(3). The strtok() function is used to isolate sequential tokens in a null-terminated string, str. These tokens are separated in the string by at least one of the characters in sep. The first time that strtok() is called, str should be specified; subsequent calls, wishing to obtain further tokens from the same string, should pass a null pointer instead. The separator string, sep, must be supplied each time, and may change between calls. The implementation will behave as if no library function calls strtok(). The strtok_r() function is a reentrant version of strtok(). The context pointer last must be provided on each call. The strtok_r() function may also be used to nest two parsing loops within one another, as long as separate context pointers are used. The strtok() and strtok_r() functions return a pointer to the beginning of each subsequent token in the string, after replacing the token itself with a NUL character. When no more tokens remain, a null pointer is returned. EXAMPLES
The following uses strtok_r() to parse two strings using separate contexts: char test[80], blah[80]; char *sep = "\/:;=-"; char *word, *phrase, *brkt, *brkb; strcpy(test, "This;is.a:test:of=the/string\tokenizer-function."); for (word = strtok_r(test, sep, &brkt); word; word = strtok_r(NULL, sep, &brkt)) { strcpy(blah, "blah:blat:blab:blag"); for (phrase = strtok_r(blah, sep, &brkb); phrase; phrase = strtok_r(NULL, sep, &brkb)) { printf("So far we're at %s:%s ", word, phrase); } } SEE ALSO
memchr(3), strchr(3), strcspn(3), strpbrk(3), strrchr(3), strsep(3), strspn(3), strstr(3), wcstok(3) STANDARDS
The strtok() function conforms to ISO/IEC 9899:1990 (``ISO C90''). AUTHORS
Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>, Softweyr LLC Based on the FreeBSD 3.0 implementation. BUGS
The System V strtok(), if handed a string containing only delimiter characters, will not alter the next starting point, so that a call to strtok() with a different (or empty) delimiter string may return a non-NULL value. Since this implementation always alters the next starting point, such a sequence of calls would always return NULL. BSD
November 27, 1998 BSD