Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers Help using combining variables with sed command (RHEL 7) Post 303043303 by isey78 on Thursday 23rd of January 2020 04:22:12 PM
Old 01-23-2020
Ugh, Ok thank you. I made some updates:

My script (rok.sh)
Code:
#!/bin/bash
ROK_NO=$1
RPT=/tmp/test
sed -E '/^SELECT/ s/(.{22}).{7}/\1'"$ROK_NO"'/' '$RPT'
#sed -E '/^SELECT/ s/(.{22}).{7}/\12388055/' '/tmp/test'

My file (/tmp/test)

Code:
SELECT: ROK_NUMBER EQ 2388085

When I run the command in terminal

Code:
$ sed -E '/^SELECT/ s/(.{22}).{7}/\12388123/' '/tmp/test'
SELECT: ROK_NUMBER EQ 2388123
$

When I run the script from terminal

Code:
$ bash rok.sh 2388123
: No such file or directory
$

Thanks for taking a look. I'm not sure what else I can do explain.

--- Post updated at 10:14 PM ---

Quote:
Originally Posted by RudiC
Looks like the well known / infamous DOS line terminator problem:

So - get rid of that non-*nix feature. Use a *nix text editor, or the dos2unix command, or search these fora for many, many more options
Ok I will try that. I am using Textpad on my Windows PC then FTP the script file over to a Linux server where I'm trying to execute the script. I was just looking at this and was wondering what it all meant Smilie

Quote:
$ sh -x rok.sh 2388123
+ ROK_NO=$'2388123\r'
+ RPT=$'/tmp/test\r'
'' '$RPT '/^SELECT/ s/(.{22}).{7}/\12388123
: No such file or directory
$
--- Post updated at 10:22 PM ---

Dang man, that definitely did the trick. I didn't think I could mess up 2 variables and it was really making me sad. You saved the day -- thank you!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

assigning variables in sed command

I need to assign a variable within a variable in a sed command. I tried doing the following in c shell. set left = 1 set right = 2 set segment = qwerty sed -n -e "/$segment{$left}/,/$segment{$right}/p" file.txt what is wrong with this syntax? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: wxornot
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

sed command not work with variables?

I am trying to write a simple script which will take a variable with sed to take a line out of a text and display it #!/bin/sh exec 3<list while read list<&3 do echo $list sed -n '$list p'<list2 done this does not work, yet when I replace the $list variable from the sed command and... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: MaestroRage
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed: command garbled - when executed with $variables

I have got a file job_tree.lst , which contains 1 line as below $ cat job_tree.lst ABC_D_EQ_XXXXX_YYYY_PRD_UX 05/08/2009 05:47 05/08/2009 05:50 IN 13412850/0 I want to get a child job string 3 characters offset from the parent job string (i.e. ABC_D_EQ_XXXXX_YYYY_PRD_UX 05/08/2009... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Armaan_S
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Combining two variables in ksh

I can't believe I can't figure this out... given this code: CARS_DATA_LIST=`cat /tmp/file1 | awk '{print $1}' ` FMSA_DATA_LIST=`cat /tmp/file2 | awk '{print $1}' ` The value of each of the above variables is: CARS = a b c d e f g FMSA = a b c q r s I want to declare a third... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Shoeless_Mike
8 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem combining two variables into one

Hello, I have a problem combining two variables into one. I did the following: in my env variables i had set PATH_DESTINATION_1=/root/path_one PATH_DESTINATION_2=/root/path_two #!/usr/bin/ksh count=1 count_path=2 while do (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Eraser
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed command using variables in shell script

hi guys, The following command doesn't seem to work in my shell script: tag=$(sed -n '/${line}/ s/.*\.*/\1/p' myfile.txt) When i replace the ${line} with an actual value, it works fine. So, how do i use the ${line} in this sed command? Thanks in advance, Zaff (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: zaff
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Variables in SED command

Hi all, I want write a script to display 5rows at times from a input file. my out like: echo " display started" r1 r2 r3 r4 r5 ... Some action items... again i need next 5 lines. can you please advise. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: koti_rama
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Combining multiple variables into new variable

Hello, I am a new joiner to the forum, and have what i hope is a simple question, however I can't seem to find the answer so maybe it is not available within bash scripting. I intend to use the below script to archive files from multiple directories at once by using a loop, and a variable (n)... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: dring
10 Replies

9. Red Hat

Does RHEL 5 provide a command to collect RHEL system log in single compress file?

Hi, I heard a command that can collect all RHEL 5 log in a single compress file before I forget. Does any body know...What the command is ? Thanks. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: nnnnnnine
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to use variables in 'sed' append command?

HELLO!! I'm trying to pass a variable with in the 'sed' command (which would add some piece of code to file at a particular line). We can use sed '{line-number}a\ alfjaljf\ aslfjsfsjafl\ adlfjaf\' file.txt If file.txt is Now, I would like to add the parameter 'lmn' after... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mjavalkar
1 Replies
IRSEND(1)							   User Commands							 IRSEND(1)

NAME
irsend - basic LIRC program to send infra-red commands SYNOPSIS
irsend [options] DIRECTIVE REMOTE CODE [CODE...] DESCRIPTION
Asks the lircd daemon to send one or more CIR (Consumer Infra-Red) commands. This is intended for remote control of electronic devices such as TV boxes, HiFi sets, etc. DIRECTIVE can be: SEND_ONCE - send CODE [CODE ...] once SEND_START - start repeating CODE SEND_STOP - stop repeating CODE LIST - list configured remote items SET_TRANSMITTERS - set transmitters NUM [NUM ...] SIMULATE - simulate IR event REMOTE is the name of a remote, as described in the lircd configuration file. CODE is the name of a remote control key of REMOTE, as it appears in the lircd configuration file. NUM is the transmitter number of the hardware device. For the LIST DIRECTIVE, REMOTE and/or CODE can be empty: LIST "" "" - list all configured remote names LIST REMOTE "" - list all codes of REMOTE LIST REMOTE CODE - list only CODE of REMOTE The SIMULATE command only works if it has been explicitly enabled in lircd. -h --help display usage summary -v --version display version -d --device use given lircd socket [/var/run/lirc/lircd] -a --address=host[:port] connect to lircd at this address -# --count=n send command n times EXAMPLES
irsend LIST DenonTuner "" irsend SEND_ONCE DenonTuner PROG-SCAN irsend SEND_ONCE OnkyoAmpli VOL-UP VOL-UP VOL-UP VOL-UP irsend SEND_START OnkyoAmpli VOL-DOWN ; sleep 3 irsend SEND_STOP OnkyoAmpli VOL-DOWN irsend SET_TRANSMITTERS 1 irsend SET_TRANSMITTERS 1 3 4 irsend SIMULATE "0000000000000476 00 OK TECHNISAT_ST3004S" FILES
/etc/lirc/lircd.conf Default lircd configuration file. It should contain all the remotes, their infra-red codes and the corresponding timing and wave- form details. DIAGNOSTICS
If lircd is not running (or /var/run/lirc/lircd lacks write permissions) irsend aborts with the following diagnostics: "irsend: could not connect to socket" "irsend: Connection refused" (or "Permission denied"). SEE ALSO
The documentation for lirc is maintained as html pages. They are located under html/ in the documentation directory. lircd(8), mode2(1), smode2(1), xmode2(1), irrecord(1), irw(1), http://www.lirc.org. irsend 0.9.0-pre1 October 2010 IRSEND(1)