Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Shell scripting with JQ help
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers Shell scripting with JQ help Post 303043117 by DSFX on Saturday 18th of January 2020 07:36:01 PM
Old 01-18-2020
Shell scripting with JQ help

Evening all,

this is my first go at any bash scripting and i'm struggling with handling jquery. I've got the jq library installed and working. i'm working out of Ubuntu and my JQuery looks like this, some info is censored with #.

Code:
{
  "description": "some description 1",
  "fixed_version": "######",
  "link": "https://security-tracker.debian.org/tracker/CVE-#######",
  "name": "CVE-######",
  "package_name": "some package 1",
  "package_version": "####",
  "score": 4.6,
  "score_v3": 9.1,
  "severity": "Medium",
  "vectors": "AV:L/AC:L/Au:N/C:P/I:P/A:P",
  "vectors_v3": "CVSS:3.0/AV:N/AC:L/PR:N/UI:N/S:U/C:H/I:H/A:N"
}
{
  "description": "some description 2",
  "fixed_version": "#######",
  "link": "https://security-tracker.debian.org/tracker/CVE-#######",
  "name": "CVE-######",
  "package_name": "some package 2",
  "package_version": "#####",
  "score": 4.6,
  "score_v3": 9.1,
  "severity": "Medium",
  "vectors": "AV:L/AC:L/Au:N/C:P/I:P/A:P",
  "vectors_v3": "CVSS:3.0/AV:N/AC:L/PR:N/UI:N/S:U/C:H/I:H/A:N"
}

What i'd like to do is iterate through this so like so....
Code:
vulnerabilities=$(<"$WorkingDirectory"/vulnerabilities.txt) 
echo $vulnerabilities | $JSONParser -r '.[0].description'

This is the error i'm getting
Code:
jq: error (at <stdin>:1): Cannot index object with number

I've got a web dev background and a bit of PS. Dealing with JQuery in Shell so far has been a nightmare. Can anybody tell me what i'm doing wrong???

Thanks,
DSFX

Last edited by Scrutinizer; 01-18-2020 at 08:45 PM.. Reason: quote tags -> code tags

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

difference between AIX shell scripting and Unix shell scripting.

please give the difference between AIX shell scripting and Unix shell scripting. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: haroonec
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Call Shell scripting from Perl Scripting.

Hi How to call a shell scripting through a Perl scripting? Actually I need some value from Shell scripting and passes in the Perl scripting. So how can i do this? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: anupdas
2 Replies

3. What is on Your Mind?

Shell scripting vs Perl scripting

Hi all, I would like to start developping some good scripting skills. Do you think it would be best to start with shell scripting or Perl? I already got a fundation, really basics, in perl. but I am wondering what would be best to be good at first. Can you please help me determine which one to... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pouchie1
14 Replies

4. Android

Android Scripting Environment: Shell Scripting and Android

I just upgraded to Android 2.2 from 2.1. The GPS issue that was troublesome in 2.1 seems to have been fixed. Some of web browsing seems faster, but it could just be my connection is better today ;) Flash works in some browsers but not very good and it is too slow for Flash apps designed for... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Neo
0 Replies

5. What is on Your Mind?

Shell Scripting vs Perl scripting

Gents, I have been working in a Solaris/Unix environment for about 9 months. I took some linux classses online before getting the job. But, I am not very good at scripting. I want to learn how to script. Do you think that I should start with Shell scripting or Perl? I wanted to continue with... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pouchie1
2 Replies

6. Web Development

Perl scripting or shell scripting?

i am going to study any one of the scripting languages mentioned above(shell 0r perl scripting) . Which is having more scope for a fresher? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Anna Hussie
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Shell Scripting

Hey I have a data in the file named as outputFile.txt. The data is in the format 123456,12345678912345,400,09/09/09,INACTIVE. I want this output without commas ie 12345612345678912345400090909INACTIVE. Please tell me what to do and clear explain all the terms, as I am new to it. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: sampandey31
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell scripting

Hi, if in a network there are lots of PCs connected with either windows or linux as operating system.Then what will be the shell script for the same and also if the PC has linux in it then we have to find if it is occupied or unoccupied. If the PC has windows in it then we have to find if it is... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: akansha singh
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

help me in Shell Scripting

Hi there please have a look at the code..i want to create Using a named pipe. Run a find in the background starting in the working directory While this is happening wait for input from the user to ask him which file to find. If the user does not enter any data in 10 seconds ask the user again.... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kattak1511
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Shell script to read lines in a text file and filter user data Shell Programming and Scripting

sxsaaas (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: VikrantD
3 Replies
tracker-miner-fs(1)						   User Commands					       tracker-miner-fs(1)

NAME
tracker-miner-fs - Used to crawl the file system to mine data. SYNOPSIS
tracker-miner-fs [OPTION...] DESCRIPTION
tracker-miner-fs is not supposed to be run by the user since it is started by its .desktop file when the user logs in. It can also be started manually of course for debugging purposes. You can not run more than one instance of this at the same time. tracker-miner-fs mines information about applications and files only. OPTIONS
-?, --help Show summary of options. -V, --version Returns the version of this binary. -v, --verbosity={0|1|2|3} Sets the logging level, 0=errors, 1=minimal, 2=detailed, 3=debug. -s, --initial-sleep=SECONDS Sets the initial sleep time before crawling the file system is started. If the --no-daemon option is used, this option is ignored. -n, --no-daemon Tells the miner to exit once all indexing has finished and the database is up to date. This is not the default mode of operation for the miner, usually it stays around acting like a daemon to monitor file updates which may occur over time. This option renders the --initial-sleep option moot. -e, --eligible=FILE Checks if FILE is eligible for being mined based on the current configuration rules. In addition to this, it will check if FILE would be monitored for changes. This works with non-existing FILE arguments as well as existing FILE arguments. -d, --disable-miner=MINER Tells the daemon to disable the in-house miners it supports. Depending on build options, this can be 'Files', 'Applications' and 'Userguides'. This option can be provided more than once to diasable multiple miners. Disable in this case means the miner is not started, though all miners still register themselves on D-Bus and appear there, no actual action is performed otherwise (such as crawling, setting up monitors, or checking mtimes against the file system). ENVIRONMENT
TRACKER_USE_LOG_FILES Don't just log to stdout and stderr, but to log files too which are kept in $HOME/.local/share/tracker/. This came into effect in 0.15.3 and 0.16.0. After this version of Tracker, logging to file (usually useful for debugging) can only be done by declaring this environment variable. TRACKER_USE_CONFIG_FILES Don't use GSettings, instead use a config file similar to how settings were saved in 0.10.x. That is, a file which is much like an .ini file. These are saved to $HOME/.config/tracker/ SEE ALSO
tracker-store(1), tracker-info(1). GNU
September 2009 tracker-miner-fs(1)