Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers Shell script to execute Oracle procedure and trigerring email on success and failure Post 303042398 by Peasant on Monday 23rd of December 2019 02:45:01 PM
Old 12-23-2019
Since you are using Oracle PL/SQL, it has DBMS Output availability to write to logs and UTL_SMTP to send mails.
Do everything in PL/SQL procedure and make your life easier.

At least, do not use $?, this is an abuse of exit call and will not give results you might think it will.
Valid range is from 0 to 255, with 0 meaning success, everything else (some) type of error.

So using exit code variable filled with count from rows is just wrong, with all those pl/sql database utilities at your disposal.

Hope that helps
Regards
Peasant.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Execute an Oracle stored procedure from a shell scrip

Here is a snippet of my code: if then echo "\n Deleting all reports older than 24 hours. \n" >> $logfile ls -l $FileName >> $logfile ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mh53j_fe
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

run shell script from oracle store procedure

hi, this is urgent..can i run a shell script from store procedure without using java. (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: arnabb4u
8 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Calling an Oracle Stored Procedure from Unix shell script

hai, can anybody say how to call or to execute an oracle stored procedure in oracle from unix... thanks in advance.... for ur reply.... by, leo (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Leojhose
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to execute an Oracle procedure using shell

Hi , i have created an .sh file that has the following code: #!/bin/ksh sqlplus -s p1istuat/p1istuat@CWS_IST6 @Procedure_Execute.sql & sqlplus -s p1istuat/p1istuat@CWS_IST6 << EOF exit EOF The mentioned Procedure_Execute.sql file inside has the following code: exec TEST; ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: vins_san
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Invoking Oracle stored procedure in unix shell script

Here's a shell script snippet..... cd $ORACLE_HOME/bin Retval=`sqlplus -s <<eof $TPDB_USER/april@$TPD_DBCONN whenever SQLERROR exit 2 rollback whenever OSERROR exit 3 rollback set serveroutput on set pages 999 var status_desc char(200) var status_code... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: hidnana
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell Script for call a procedure in Oracle DB

Hi everyone! I'm new with Shell Scripting, and I have to do a shell script to call a procedure, which have 2 input parameters, the directory(from server) and the txt file (which have informations to update/insert in DB). I have to create a shell script to execute that procedure for each txt... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: renatoal
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to execute the stored procedure from shell script

How to execute the stored procedure from shell script and is there any possibility to print the dbms output in a log file. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dineshmurs
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Execute a shell script from Oracle procedure

Hi Gurus, Want to execute a shell script from a oracle procedure and get the status of the same, any assistance in this regard will be appreciated. proc_data.sh is script name which I want to execute from oracle procedure It should work something like below procedure test begin... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: palanisvr
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Why i can't execute the procedure in shell script?

i have the following code inside a shell script .prog in oracle server when i call the program DBMS_OUTPUT.PUT_LINE(x_return_status|| ln_rep_req_id); will return 0 , it is very strange , i try to submit the concurrent request in oracle , and it can successfully executed, what am i missing ? i... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: feilhk
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Execute Oracle gather stats via shell script

Hi , I am trying to automate a gather stats in shell script #!/usr/bin/ksh export ORACLE_HOME=/orcl/app/oracle/product/11.2.0.1/db_1 export PATH="$PATH:$ORACLE_HOME/bin" export LD_LIBRARY_PATH="$LD_LIBRARY_PATH:$ORACLE_HOME/lib32" export TNS_ADMIN=/opt/netprobe/config... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: neil.k
1 Replies
databaseintro(1grass)						Grass User's Manual					     databaseintro(1grass)

Database management in GRASS GIS
   Attribute management in general
       GRASS  can  be linked to one or many database management systems (DBMS).  The db.* set of commands provides basic SQL support for attribute
       management, while the v.db.* set of commands operates on the vector map (see Vector introduction).

Available drivers
       Available drivers are listed in SQL support in GRASS GIS.

Notes:
       The default DBF driver provides only very limited SQL support (as DBF is not an SQL DB) while the other DBMS backends (such as  PostgreSQL,
       MySQL etc) provide full SQL support since the SQL commands are sent directly to the DBMS.

DB connection management
       The  current  database management settings are shown or modified with db.connect for current mapset. Available DBMI drivers are listed with
       db.drivers. Some DBMI backends require a user/password for driver/database to be set with  db.login.   In  order  to  test  a  driver,  run
       db.test.

Attribute data import and export
       Attribute  data	can  be  imported  with  db.in.ogr from various formats and exported with db.out.ogr. To internally copy a a full table or
       selectively parts of it, use db.copy.

Further conversion tools:

MDB Tools: Convert MS-Access data to SQL, DBF, etc.

Openoffice.org with SQL Databases

SQL commands
       GRASS supports to main SQL operations, execution of an SQL statement (db.execute) and selection of data from a table (db.select).  See  the
       SQL help page for examples.

Managing the default DBMI settings
       Per  default  vector  map attributes are stored in DBF table files. This default definition can be modified with db.connect. If an external
       DBMS is used, db.login may be required.

Creating a database
       Specific commands are explained on the individual driver pages (these pages are only available if driver was  compiled  in  this  installa-
       tion):

DBF: see DBF page

SQLite: SQLite page

mySQL: meSQL pages

ODBC: ODBC page  (connect to Oracle, etc.)

PostgreSQL: PostgreSQL and PostGIS page

Metadata
       All  columns  for  a  given  table  are listed with db.columns.	The command db.describe describes a table in detail. To list all available
       tables for a given database, run db.tables.

Table maintenance
       To drop a column from a selected attribute table, use db.dropcol.  With db.droptable an attribute table can be deleted.

Database Schema
       Currently schema support only works for PostgreSQL connections. Default schema can be set with db.connect. Note	that  the  default  schema
       will be used by all db.* modules.

db.tables returns 'schema.table' if schemas are available in the database.

Migrating to a different database engine
       To  migrate  a GRASS database table (or a GRASS vector map) to a different DBMI engine, the best solution is to create a new MAPSET, define
       the DBMI settings accordingly with db.login.  Then the table of interest can be copied over with db.copy from the  original  MAPSET.  Like-
       wise, a vector map including its table(s) are copied from the original MAPSET to the current MAPSET with g.copy.

See also
		     Introduction to GRASS vector map processing

Introduction to GRASS raster map processing
       Main index - database index - full index

(C) 2008-2011 GRASS Development Team

GRASS 6.4.2														     databaseintro(1grass)