Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers Tips/advise on alternative to doing egrep -v Post 303042291 by rbatte1 on Friday 20th of December 2019 07:57:30 AM
Old 12-20-2019
You should be aware of several things that can catch you:-
  • Using egrep is the same as grep -E so the string passed is an Extended Regular Expression. Along with | as an 'or' separator, it also means that the . is a wildcard for a single character. Searching for 192.168 will also match 192g168
  • You can group expressions or characters using [expression] so you can consolidate your search/exclude.

I'm not clear what the overall requirement for this is, but I think you are looking for sessions for user mickey that are/aren't from a specific set up IP addresses. Might I suggest:
Code:
egrep -v ^host=192\.168\.1\.10[123]|192\.168\.1\.123

If this is all there is, then it may be to better blend these together like 192\.168\.(10[123]|123)

I hope that this helps,
Robin

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

I am one of the newbies, please advise

I am new to UNIX and Linux. I have some experiences with Windows server. I am thinking to start with those OS (Unix/Linux) and more specifically with the OS for the server. however, i have no idea which one would i start first, unix or linux? Because i also dont know how they are different. ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sanlen
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Egrep cheat sheet anywhere? Looking for meaning of egrep -c

Hi I've been searching google and have not found what egrep -c means. Does anyone know where I can get a cheat sheet or what that -c means? thanks, Linda (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: leelm
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

your advise on mysql, please

My intention is to set up a mysql on unix. Could you provide some info, please, useful for realization of the plan (other than "read the documentation" that will be done anyway)? vaguely yours` sehrguey (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: serguey
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

search ")" with egrep - egrep: syntax error

Hi Guys, we have a shell script which basically query the Database which retrieves huge data and use the data with "egrep" . Now there is some data which contains characters like "abc)" and the same is used like below : "egrep (.+\|GDPRAB16\|GDPR/11702 96 abc)\|$ temp.txt" now while... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: sagarjani
7 Replies

5. Linux

Please advise me.

Hello all, I have a question, and would like some advice please. I am a windows guy by trade....5 years in the Marines is where I learnt a lot of what i know. I took a junior level sys admin job...learned a bit more...and now I do IT security. All of this happened in the last 8 years. So I'm 27... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Quality
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Advise on HP unix

Hi everyone I need help i want to learn Unix and do some certification on Unix Hp the reason why i choose Hp is because the company that i work for uses HP and interested in knowing a lt more about what i do i montor the unix server (disk space CPU usage memory utilization,proceeses job... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: liema
5 Replies

7. HP-UX

alternative for egrep -o on HP-UX

Hello to all board members!! I have a problem on a HP-UX system. I should write a script. Therefore I need to search after IP addresses in the output of a command. On Debian this works: ifconfig | egrep -o "{1,3}\.{1,3}\.{1,3}\.{1,3}" The script where i need this is not ifconfig, but... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vostro
2 Replies

8. Solaris

Experts !!! Please advise

Hi, I work on sun Solaris. Am hosting few web services on my server which are accessed over the internet. Now to check whether the web service is responding or not, i first have to log in to the web service URL. If it doesn't respond there, i come back to my server box and restart the service... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sting672744
4 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Don't have tree, need advise to differentiate dir from file from this alternative that uses find

Hi, I don't have tree on the Solaris server and our SA don't want to install it. I found this example from One Line Linux Command to Print Out Directory Tree Listing | systemBash that more or less does what I am mainly looking for. Example run is as below: $: find ./ | sed -e... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbie_01
2 Replies
AGGREGATE-IOS(1)					      General Commands Manual						  AGGREGATE-IOS(1)

NAME
aggregate-ios - optimise a concatenated set of cisco/IOS prefix filters to help make them nice and short. SYNOPSIS
aggregate-ios <source_config >optimised_config DESCRIPTION
Takes cisco IOS configuration on stdin, and optimises any prefix filters found using aggregate(1). Optimised filters are produced on std- out. OPTIONS
None. DIAGNOSTICS
Any diagnostics produced by aggregate(1) are passed through on stderr. EXAMPLES
The following configuration fragment: ip prefix-list AS65530 description Foo, Inc ip prefix-list AS65530 permit 10.1.0.0/16 ip prefix-list AS65530 permit 10.2.0.0/16 ip prefix-list AS65530 permit 10.2.1.0/24 ip prefix-list AS65530 permit 10.3.0.0/16 ip prefix-list AS65531 description Bar.Com ip prefix-list AS65531 seq 5 permit 192.168.1.0/24 ip prefix-list AS65531 seq 10 permit 192.168.2.0/24 ip prefix-list AS65531 seq 15 permit 192.168.0.0/19 is optimised as follows: ip prefix-list AS65530 permit 10.1.0.0/16 le 24 ip prefix-list AS65530 permit 10.2.0.0/15 le 24 ip prefix-list AS65531 permit 192.168.0.0/19 le 24 SEE ALSO
aggregate(1) HISTORY
Aggregate-ios was written by Joe Abley <jabley@mfnx.net>. BUGS
All those in aggregate(1) and then some :) Joe Abley 2000 November 27 AGGREGATE-IOS(1)