Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers UNIX shell script for matrix insertion into a file Post 303042125 by jim mcnamara on Sunday 15th of December 2019 11:37:05 PM
Old 12-16-2019
Does the input data ALWAYS have three lines -> two lines of output? It looks like it varies and a date is the key header item.
That means you need to tell us exactly what the data looks like - dates are awful if they are freehand:
ex:
Code:
April 4, 2108
04/04/18
2018-4-4

are all the same date and checking every possibility is not likely to happen reliably.

We need a couple of sample data input "blocks" to be of any help to you.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unix file operations(shell script)

Hi, I want to compare two files. Files will look like as follows: file1: ASDFGHJU|1234567890123456 QWERTYUI|3456789098900890 file2: ZXCVBVNM|0987654321234567 POLKIJUYH|1234789060985478 output file should be: ASDFGHJU|1234567890123456 QWERTYUI|3456789098900890 Thnaks in advance (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: nivas
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Is it possible to draw table/matrix using shell script?

Hi all, I need to create a matrix of variable rows and columns. Right now i have 3 rows and two columns and following values. Output something like TypeA TypeB TestCase1 Pass Fail TestCase2 Pass ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jakSun8
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

(Urgent):Creating flat file using sql script and sqlplus from UNIX Shell Script

Hi, I need help urgently for following issue. Pls help me to resolve this issue. I am calling sql script file(file1.sql) from UNIX Shell Script(script1.ksh) using sql plus and trying to create flat file that contains all records returned from SQL query in SQL script(file1.sql) I given... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: praka
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

insertion of text from sed script

Hi , This is my first thread ; facing some issues withmy sed script I need to insert the code from my log file which is between two keywords. content is like this ........ log ############################ log1 log2 231 "Ban" "tom" and the line one of the cross line friend... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: shalini_008
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Insertion in a file

Hi All, I want to insert a line just befor the lst line in a file. please can anyone advise. Cheers, Shazin (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Shazin
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Execute unix shell script to text file using the script

Hi all, I am beginner in UNIX...I want to use unix shell script to create text.file...I know how to use using by command...can anybody tell me for the script? Thanks i changed the threads title from "tex file" to "text file", because "tex" would probably be misunderstood as reference to... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mastercar
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

AWK script problem insertion of code

Hi , I am having two files like this FILE1 #################### input SI_TESTONLY_R_00; input CE0_SE_INPUT_TESTONLY; input CE0_TCLK_TESTONLY; input SI_JTGCLOCKDR_JTAG_R_00; input CE0_TCLK_JTGCLOCKDR_JTAG; input CE0_SE_INPUT_JTGCLOCKDR_JTAG; output SO_TESTONLY_R_00; output... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jaita
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

UNIX Shell script to work with .xml file

Hi Team, Could you please help me on below query: I want to retrieve XML elements from one .xml file. This .xml file has commented tags as well. so i am planning to write Unix command/script which 1.will chekc for this .xml file 2. it will ignore the commented XML lines. i.e. XML tags between... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: waiting4u
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

UNIX shell script to search a string in a file

Hi folks, I am new for shell script, I hope somebody to help me to write shell script My requirement is below steps 1. I have apache access.log i.e located in /var/log/httpd/ Ex. 127.0.0.1 - - "GET... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: Chenchireddy
14 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Shell script to Split matrix file with delimiter into multiple files

I have a large semicolon delimited file with thousands of columns and many thousands of line. It looks like: ID1;ID2;ID3;ID4;A_1;B_1;C_1;A_2;B_2;C_2;A_3;B_3;C_3 AA;ax;ay;az;01;02;03;04;05;06;07;08;09 BB;bx;by;bz;03;05;33;44;15;26;27;08;09 I want to split this table in to multiple files: ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: trymega
1 Replies
fmt(1)								   User Commands							    fmt(1)

NAME
fmt - simple text formatters SYNOPSIS
fmt [-cs] [-w width | -width] [inputfile]... DESCRIPTION
fmt is a simple text formatter that fills and joins lines to produce output lines of (up to) the number of characters specified in the -w width option. The default width is 72. fmt concatenates the inputfiles listed as arguments. If none are given, fmt formats text from the standard input. Blank lines are preserved in the output, as is the spacing between words. fmt does not fill nor split lines beginning with a `.' (dot), for compatibility with nroff(1). Nor does it fill or split a set of contiguous non-blank lines which is determined to be a mail header, the first line of which must begin with "From". Indentation is preserved in the output, and input lines with differing indentation are not joined (unless -c is used). fmt can also be used as an in-line text filter for vi(1). The vi command: !}fmt reformats the text between the cursor location and the end of the paragraph. OPTIONS
-c Crown margin mode. Preserve the indentation of the first two lines within a paragraph, and align the left margin of each subsequent line with that of the second line. This is useful for tagged paragraphs. -s Split lines only. Do not join short lines to form longer ones. This prevents sample lines of code, and other such for- matted text, from being unduly combined. -w width | -width Fill output lines to up to width columns. OPERANDS
inputfile Input file. ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
See environ(5) for a description of the LC_CTYPE environment variable that affects the execution of fmt. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
nroff(1), vi(1), attributes(5), environ(5) NOTES
The -width option is acceptable for BSD compatibility, but it may go away in future releases. SunOS 5.11 9 May 1997 fmt(1)