Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Sudo error on AIX 7.1
Operating Systems AIX Sudo error on AIX 7.1 Post 303041549 by RecoveryOne on Wednesday 27th of November 2019 05:27:27 PM
Old 11-27-2019
Glad to be of help!
The toolbox has some AIX level requirements, and well... for my lpars I'm not at the latest or compatible versions for various reasons. So, I went right to the software's source and installed it outside of the toolbox.

The thing I don't like is now its one more package that I must keep track of and a simple 'yum update' won't pull down latest. But it meets the needs.

Take care!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. AIX

Install sudo on AIX 5.3

I'm trying to install sudo on AIX 5.3. I don't have a compiler on my machine, so I was trying to find a binary. The one found at http://www.bullfreeware.com/listaix52.html that is supposed to work for 5.3 even though it was compiled on 5.2. The issue is I'm new to AIX and could not figure out how... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sphericon
3 Replies

2. AIX

Sudo error

I want give a user "sar" permission, so I modify the sudoers file: unix1 is the group for users can use sar command Cmnd_Alias RUN_SAR = /usr/sbin/sar User_Alias UNIX1_USERS = %unix1 UNIX1_USERS ALL = NOPASSWD:RUN_SAR However, when I run sar command, it shows: $ sar 1 4 sar: The... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rainbow_bean
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

sudo su error

Hello, I am logging to a server using username 'test'. I want to execute some commands as user test2. When I am trying to run `sudo su - test2 -c 'ls'` it gives error user 'test' is not allowed to run sudo in host. But when I login into the account 'test2' using sudo su - test2 all these... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: karayan
6 Replies

4. AIX

AIX 5.3 sudo bootinfo

I am trying to understand why I get "0" returned when I run the command sudo bootinfo -r. I know bootinfo isn't really supported in versions higher then AIX 4.2. I also know that instead of bootinfo -r I could use lsattr -El sys0 -a realmem | awk '{print $2}' and produce the same output as ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: maverick9576
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

ssh foo.com sudo command - Prompts for sudo password as visible text. Help?

I am writing a BASH script to update a webserver and then restart Apache. It looks basically like this: #!/bin/bash rsync /path/on/local/machine/ foo.com:path/on/remote/machine/ ssh foo.com sudo /etc/init.d/apache2 reloadrsync and ssh don't prompt for a password, because I have DSA encryption... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: fluoborate
9 Replies

6. AIX

AIX 5.3 Using sudo to control smit

Does anyone have any experience using sudo to control smit on AIX 5.3? These are the smit commands that I want certain users to execute: # Cmnd alias specification Cmnd_Alias SMIT = /bin/smit hacmp, \ /bin/smit pxdam, \ /bin/smit cl_lsuser, \ /bin/smit cl_users, \ /bin/smit cl_passwd ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: tharrieswk
5 Replies

7. Cybersecurity

sudo - AIX - User privilege specification

I am planning to implement sudo for users. Under , it looks I have to put the users who need to have sudo access: What are the recommended for users? I don't think I need to give the ALL privilege (i.e ) to AIX users. I'd like to know the commonly used privilege specification for sudo... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Daniel Gate
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Error in Sudo

Hi, I have installed sudo on Solaris 10 (sparc). When I try to add a user I get the following: -bash-3.00$ sudo addusr scarlet sudo sudo: /usr/local/etc/sudoers.d is owned by uid 2, should be 0 Password: I entered a password, thinking it was for the sudo user but it failed. Then I entered the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Scarlet
3 Replies

9. AIX

AIX - remote shell (sudo) - signal 11 core system 50

Hi, I am running a remote shell from site A to site B, where both are AIX. The remote shell starts other application, and when it finishes, it returns to the site A. The problem is that I am receiving an error signal 11 and system core error 50 - segmentation fault. Does anyone know if there are... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: brjohnsmith
6 Replies

10. Solaris

SUDO error in Solaris: auth.error] fork

I cannot solve the following error bellow. Can someone help me on this please? Mar 31 07:08:45 serverx sudo: fork Mar 31 07:18:50 serverx sudo: fork Mar 31 07:28:45 serverx sudo: fork Mar 31 07:38:47 serverx sudo: fork Mar 31 07:48:45 serverx sudo: fork Mar 31 07:58:45 serverx... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pangarano
1 Replies
sudo_root(8)						      System Manager's Manual						      sudo_root(8)

NAME
sudo_root - How to run administrative commands SYNOPSIS
sudo command sudo -i INTRODUCTION
By default, the password for the user "root" (the system administrator) is locked. This means you cannot login as root or use su. Instead, the installer will set up sudo to allow the user that is created during install to run all administrative commands. This means that in the terminal you can use sudo for commands that require root privileges. All programs in the menu will use a graphical sudo to prompt for a password. When sudo asks for a password, it needs your password, this means that a root password is not needed. To run a command which requires root privileges in a terminal, simply prepend sudo in front of it. To get an interactive root shell, use sudo -i. ALLOWING OTHER USERS TO RUN SUDO
By default, only the user who installed the system is permitted to run sudo. To add more administrators, i. e. users who can run sudo, you have to add these users to the group 'admin' by doing one of the following steps: * In a shell, do sudo adduser username admin * Use the graphical "Users & Groups" program in the "System settings" menu to add the new user to the admin group. BENEFITS OF USING SUDO
The benefits of leaving root disabled by default include the following: * Users do not have to remember an extra password, which they are likely to forget. * The installer is able to ask fewer questions. * It avoids the "I can do anything" interactive login by default - you will be prompted for a password before major changes can happen, which should make you think about the consequences of what you are doing. * Sudo adds a log entry of the command(s) run (in /var/log/auth.log). * Every attacker trying to brute-force their way into your box will know it has an account named root and will try that first. What they do not know is what the usernames of your other users are. * Allows easy transfer for admin rights, in a short term or long term period, by adding and removing users from the admin group, while not compromising the root account. * sudo can be set up with a much more fine-grained security policy. * On systems with more than one administrator using sudo avoids sharing a password amongst them. DOWNSIDES OF USING SUDO
Although for desktops the benefits of using sudo are great, there are possible issues which need to be noted: * Redirecting the output of commands run with sudo can be confusing at first. For instance consider sudo ls > /root/somefile will not work since it is the shell that tries to write to that file. You can use ls | sudo tee /root/somefile to get the behaviour you want. * In a lot of office environments the ONLY local user on a system is root. All other users are imported using NSS techniques such as nss-ldap. To setup a workstation, or fix it, in the case of a network failure where nss-ldap is broken, root is required. This tends to leave the system unusable. An extra local user, or an enabled root password is needed here. GOING BACK TO A TRADITIONAL ROOT ACCOUNT
This is not recommended! To enable the root account (i.e. set a password) use: sudo passwd root Afterwards, edit the sudo configuration with sudo visudo and comment out the line %admin ALL=(ALL) ALL to disable sudo access to members of the admin group. SEE ALSO
sudo(8), https://wiki.ubuntu.com/RootSudo February 8, 2006 sudo_root(8)