Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Edit lines in file preserving part of it Post 303041379 by Scrutinizer on Friday 22nd of November 2019 02:48:55 AM
Old 11-22-2019
You are welcome Cacializ. GNU sed -i has a backup option:
Code:
-i[SUFFIX], --in-place[=SUFFIX]

The BSD sed man page says you should always use it. Anyway in general it is always a good idea to have backups and stuff like this would be best to put in a git repository and then you can just checkout the original files if something goes wrong..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Edit number of lines in a file to single line

Greetings, I have a file: hostnames.txt which has - # cat hostnames.txt machine1 machine2 I need the output to be saved to a variable as: HOSTNAMELIST=machine1,machine2 Please advise. Thanks, Chiru (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: chiru_h
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using cp: preserving file/folder attributes and auto creating folders

Hi, Is there a way to use cp in such a way that when a file is copied to a destination, the required destination folders are automatically created with the proper permissions, and the resulting copied file has the same attributes as the original. For example if I copied... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pcwiz
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

To Read a File and Insert a part of the lines into the database

Hi Guys I need to have a shell script which reads a log file and insert a part of each line into the database. Some sample lines in the file are as below. 20091112091359 MED_RQACK : user_data=60173054304,100232120,20091112091359,;ask_status=0;ask_reason=OK;msg_id=20091112091319... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Somanadh
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to edit file sections that cross multiple lines?

Hello, I'm wondering where I could go to learn how to edit file sections that cross multiple lines. I'm wanting to write scripts that will add Gnome menu entries for all users on a system for scripts I write, etc. I can search an replace simple examples with sed, but this seems more complex. ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Narnie
8 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help in preserving special characters from input file

Hi Forum. I've tried to search online for a solution but I cannot seem to find one. Hopefully, someone here can help me out. I would appreciate it. Input file abc.txt: $InputFile_Borrower=CMTSLST\EDW_COMMERCIAL_MTGE_BORROWER_dat.lst... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: pchang
14 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Preserving Empty Lines while Replacing Numbers

Greetings, I am using tcsh to write a script that will replace the numbers in a file with a single number, the caveat is that this file has blank lines which are necessary for another step down the line so I need to preserve the blank lines. I have tried sed and awk but both will collapse the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bonesy
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to Check & Edit Content of a file (Addition of comma in each lines of code)

Hi all, I need to write an automated bash shell script which performs such operations: 1. Grep the header of everyline with the initial of "T" in "FILE_A" 2. Perform a for loop, Count the numbers of comma in the line of code, if (no. of comma < 17) ADD the comma until 17; ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: big_nutz
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to get awk to edit in place and join all lines in text file

Hi, I lack the utter fundamentals on how to craft an awk script. I have hundreds of text files that were mangled by .doc format so all the lines are broken up so I need to join all of the lines of text into a single line. Normally I use vim command "ggVGJ" to join all lines but with so many... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: n00ti
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Preserving file format and spacing in output file

Hi I have a file with the following structure "VATTENFALL GLOBAL" "Vattenfall Tray" "BARCLAYS BANK LONDON" "Capula" "P1 AGEAS GLOBAL COMPANY" "AAC - Optiver" The requirement is like this 1) Take 2 input... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: sudeep.id
16 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Solved] Printing a part of the last line of the specific part of a file

Hi, I have 80 large files, from which I want to get a specific value to run a Bash script. Firstly, I want to get the part of a file which contains this: Name =A xxxxxx yyyyyy zzzzzz aaaaaa bbbbbb Value = 57 This is necessary because in a file there are written more lines which... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: wenclu
6 Replies
GIT-CVSEXPORTCOMMIT(1)						    Git Manual						    GIT-CVSEXPORTCOMMIT(1)

NAME
git-cvsexportcommit - Export a single commit to a CVS checkout SYNOPSIS
git cvsexportcommit [-h] [-u] [-v] [-c] [-P] [-p] [-a] [-d cvsroot] [-w cvsworkdir] [-W] [-f] [-m msgprefix] [PARENTCOMMIT] COMMITID DESCRIPTION
Exports a commit from Git to a CVS checkout, making it easier to merge patches from a Git repository into a CVS repository. Specify the name of a CVS checkout using the -w switch or execute it from the root of the CVS working copy. In the latter case GIT_DIR must be defined. See examples below. It does its best to do the safe thing, it will check that the files are unchanged and up to date in the CVS checkout, and it will not autocommit by default. Supports file additions, removals, and commits that affect binary files. If the commit is a merge commit, you must tell git cvsexportcommit what parent the changeset should be done against. OPTIONS
-c Commit automatically if the patch applied cleanly. It will not commit if any hunks fail to apply or there were other problems. -p Be pedantic (paranoid) when applying patches. Invokes patch with --fuzz=0 -a Add authorship information. Adds Author line, and Committer (if different from Author) to the message. -d Set an alternative CVSROOT to use. This corresponds to the CVS -d parameter. Usually users will not want to set this, except if using CVS in an asymmetric fashion. -f Force the merge even if the files are not up to date. -P Force the parent commit, even if it is not a direct parent. -m Prepend the commit message with the provided prefix. Useful for patch series and the like. -u Update affected files from CVS repository before attempting export. -k Reverse CVS keyword expansion (e.g. $Revision: 1.2.3.4$ becomes $Revision$) in working CVS checkout before applying patch. -w Specify the location of the CVS checkout to use for the export. This option does not require GIT_DIR to be set before execution if the current directory is within a Git repository. The default is the value of cvsexportcommit.cvsdir. -W Tell cvsexportcommit that the current working directory is not only a Git checkout, but also the CVS checkout. Therefore, Git will reset the working directory to the parent commit before proceeding. -v Verbose. CONFIGURATION
cvsexportcommit.cvsdir The default location of the CVS checkout to use for the export. EXAMPLES
Merge one patch into CVS $ export GIT_DIR=~/project/.git $ cd ~/project_cvs_checkout $ git cvsexportcommit -v <commit-sha1> $ cvs commit -F .msg <files> Merge one patch into CVS (-c and -w options). The working directory is within the Git Repo $ git cvsexportcommit -v -c -w ~/project_cvs_checkout <commit-sha1> Merge pending patches into CVS automatically -- only if you really know what you are doing $ export GIT_DIR=~/project/.git $ cd ~/project_cvs_checkout $ git cherry cvshead myhead | sed -n 's/^+ //p' | xargs -l1 git cvsexportcommit -c -p -v GIT
Part of the git(1) suite Git 1.8.3.1 06/10/2014 GIT-CVSEXPORTCOMMIT(1)