Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Edit lines in file preserving part of it Post 303041335 by Scrutinizer on Thursday 21st of November 2019 12:41:30 PM
Old 11-21-2019
Hi, with sed you can try:
Code:
sed 's|<td>\([0-9]\{1,\}\)</td>|<td><button onclick="reset(\1)">Reset</button>\1</td>|' file

You can add the leading tabs if you need them, but in the sample there were none so I left them out...
The part in red is a subexpression in escaped parentheses plus the back references to it in the replacement part...
This User Gave Thanks to Scrutinizer For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Edit number of lines in a file to single line

Greetings, I have a file: hostnames.txt which has - # cat hostnames.txt machine1 machine2 I need the output to be saved to a variable as: HOSTNAMELIST=machine1,machine2 Please advise. Thanks, Chiru (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: chiru_h
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using cp: preserving file/folder attributes and auto creating folders

Hi, Is there a way to use cp in such a way that when a file is copied to a destination, the required destination folders are automatically created with the proper permissions, and the resulting copied file has the same attributes as the original. For example if I copied... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pcwiz
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

To Read a File and Insert a part of the lines into the database

Hi Guys I need to have a shell script which reads a log file and insert a part of each line into the database. Some sample lines in the file are as below. 20091112091359 MED_RQACK : user_data=60173054304,100232120,20091112091359,;ask_status=0;ask_reason=OK;msg_id=20091112091319... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Somanadh
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to edit file sections that cross multiple lines?

Hello, I'm wondering where I could go to learn how to edit file sections that cross multiple lines. I'm wanting to write scripts that will add Gnome menu entries for all users on a system for scripts I write, etc. I can search an replace simple examples with sed, but this seems more complex. ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Narnie
8 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help in preserving special characters from input file

Hi Forum. I've tried to search online for a solution but I cannot seem to find one. Hopefully, someone here can help me out. I would appreciate it. Input file abc.txt: $InputFile_Borrower=CMTSLST\EDW_COMMERCIAL_MTGE_BORROWER_dat.lst... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: pchang
14 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Preserving Empty Lines while Replacing Numbers

Greetings, I am using tcsh to write a script that will replace the numbers in a file with a single number, the caveat is that this file has blank lines which are necessary for another step down the line so I need to preserve the blank lines. I have tried sed and awk but both will collapse the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bonesy
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to Check & Edit Content of a file (Addition of comma in each lines of code)

Hi all, I need to write an automated bash shell script which performs such operations: 1. Grep the header of everyline with the initial of "T" in "FILE_A" 2. Perform a for loop, Count the numbers of comma in the line of code, if (no. of comma < 17) ADD the comma until 17; ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: big_nutz
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to get awk to edit in place and join all lines in text file

Hi, I lack the utter fundamentals on how to craft an awk script. I have hundreds of text files that were mangled by .doc format so all the lines are broken up so I need to join all of the lines of text into a single line. Normally I use vim command "ggVGJ" to join all lines but with so many... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: n00ti
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Preserving file format and spacing in output file

Hi I have a file with the following structure "VATTENFALL GLOBAL" "Vattenfall Tray" "BARCLAYS BANK LONDON" "Capula" "P1 AGEAS GLOBAL COMPANY" "AAC - Optiver" The requirement is like this 1) Take 2 input... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: sudeep.id
16 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Solved] Printing a part of the last line of the specific part of a file

Hi, I have 80 large files, from which I want to get a specific value to run a Bash script. Firstly, I want to get the part of a file which contains this: Name =A xxxxxx yyyyyy zzzzzz aaaaaa bbbbbb Value = 57 This is necessary because in a file there are written more lines which... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: wenclu
6 Replies
lta(4)							     Kernel Interfaces Manual							    lta(4)

Name
       lta - lta pseudoterminal interface

Syntax
       options LAT
       pseudo-device lat
       pseudo-device lta[n]

Description
       The  pseudoterminal  interface  provides  support  for local area transport (LAT) service.  LAT service allows users to access remote nodes
       through the Ethernet.

To configure the LAT service for your machine, you must:

o   Edit the system configuration file.

o   Edit the file.

o   Create LAT special files.

o   Edit the file.

Instructions for performing these tasks are further documented in the Guide to Ethernet Communications Servers.

Edit the Configuration File
       Edit the configuration file  to	include  the  option  and  the	and  pseudo-devices.   The  configuration  file  to  edit  is  located	in
       /sys/conf/vax/HOSTNAME  or  /sys/conf/mips/HOSTNAME  (depending	on  your processor), where HOSTNAME is the name of your host processor, in
       uppercase.

The optional value for the pseudo-device entry defines the number of LAT lines to configure, a number between 1 and 256.   If  you  do  not
       specify	a  value,  the	default is 16 lines.  For example, if you want to configure 32 LAT devices into your system, the entry for the LAT
       lines is:
       pseudo-device lta32

To use the system as a load host for remote note maintenance functions such as loading and controlling  terminal  servers,  you	must  also
       include an options entry for and a pseudo-device entry for in the configuration file.

Edit the /etc/rc.local File
       Edit  the  file	to restart LAT service automatically when the system reboots.  Add the following entry after the commands for local daemon
       startup:
       if [ -f /etc/lcp ]; then
	    /etc/lcp -s > /dev/console & echo -n ' lat' >/dev/console
       fi

Create LAT Special Files
       Create the LAT special files by running the program from the directory and specifying the option.  You create one LAT special file for each
       LAT device.  For example, the following commands create 32 device special files for LAT devices:
       # cd /dev
       # MAKEDEV lta0
       # MAKEDEV lta1

The option range is 1 to 7.  The maximum number of LAT special files is 256.

Edit the /etc/ttys File
       Edit  the  file	to  include entries for all the LAT special files you created using the command.  For more information on how to add these
       entries, see

Files
       Contains terminal devices defined to the machine.

Contains terminal devices defined to the machine (modem lines only).

See Also
       ttys(5), MAKEDEV(8)
       Guide to Ethernet Communications Servers

lta(4)