Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to remove new line characters from data rows in a Pipe delimited file? Post 303041267 by RudiC on Tuesday 19th of November 2019 05:00:40 PM
Old 11-19-2019

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

remove new line characters from a partcular column data

Dear friends, I have a pipe delimited file having 5 columns. However the column no-3 is having extra new line characters as the data owing to owing , I am having issues. Ideally my file should have only newline termination at the end of each record and not within column data of any of... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sureshg_sampat
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove SPACES between PIPE delimited file

This is my input file with extra information in the HEADER and leading & trailing SPACES between PIPE delimiter. 02/04/2010 Dynamic List Display 1 --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: srimitta
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Selecting rows from a pipe delimited file based on condition

HI all, I have a simple challenge for you.. I have the following pipe delimited file 2345|98|1809||x|969|0 2345|98|0809||y|0|537 2345|97|9809||x|544|0 2345|97|0909||y|0|651 9685|98|7809||x|321|0 9685|98|7909||y|0|357 9685|98|7809||x|687|0 9685|98|0809||y|0|234 2315|98|0809||x|564|0 ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nithins007
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with converting Pipe delimited file to Tab Delimited

I have a file which was pipe delimited, I need to make it tab delimited. I tried with sed but no use cat file | sed 's/|//t/g' The above command substituted "/t" not tab in the place of pipe. Sample file: abc|123|2012-01-30|2012-04-28|xyz have to convert to: abc 123... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: karumudi7
6 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

find string and get the rest of the line in a pipe delimited file

Hi friends, I have a file where I should search for a string and get the rest of the line but without the delimiter using awk. for example I have the series of string in a file: input_string.txt bbb ccc aaa and the mapping file looks like this. mapping.txt aaa|12 bbb|23 ccc|43... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: kokoro
11 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find for line with not null values at nth place in pipe delimited file

Hi, I am trying to find the lines in a pipe delimited file where 11th column has not null values. Any help is appreciated. Need help asap please. thanks in advance. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: manikms
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove few columns from pipe delimited file

I have file as below column1|column2|column3|column4|column5| fill1|fill2|fill3|fill4|fill5| abc1|abc2|abc3|abc4|abc5| . . . . i need to remove column2,3, from that file column1|column4|column5| fill1|fill4|fill5| abc1|abc4|abc5| . . . (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: greenworld123
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

To remove duplicates from pipe delimited file

Hi some one please help me to remove duplicates from a pipe delimited file based on first two columns. 123|asdf|sfsd|qwrer 431|yui|qwer|opws 123|asdf|pol|njio Here My first record and last record are duplicates.As per my requirement I want all the latest records into one file. I want the... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: ginrkf
12 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to remove alphabets/special characters/space in the 5th field of a tab delimited file?

Thank you for 4 looking this post. We have a tab delimited file where we are facing problem in a lot of funny character. I have tried using awk but failed that is not working. In the 5th field ID which is supposed to be a integer only of that file, we are getting corrupted data as below. I... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: Srithar
12 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Need to convert a pipe delimited text file to tab delimited

Hi, I have a rquirement in unix as below . I have a text file with me seperated by | symbol and i need to generate a excel file through unix commands/script so that each value will go to each column. ex: Input Text file: 1|A|apple 2|B|bottle excel file to be generated as output as... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: raja kakitapall
9 Replies
MDBTools(1)															       MDBTools(1)

NAME
mdb-sql - SQL interface to MDB Tools SYNOPSIS
mdb-sql [-HFp] [-d delimiter] [-i file] [-o file] [database] DESCRIPTION
mdb-sql is a utility program distributed with MDB Tools. mdb-sql allows querying of an MDB database using a limited SQL subset language. OPTIONS
-H Supress header row. -F Supress footer row. -p Turn off pretty printing. By default results are printed in an ascii table format which looks nice but is not conducive to manipu- lating the output with unix tools. This option prints output plainly in a tab separated format. -d Specify an alternative column delimiter. If no delimiter is specified, columns will be delimited by a tab character if pretty print- ing (-p) is turned off. If pretty printing is enabled this option is meaningless. -i Specify an input file. This option allows an input file containing the SQL to be passed to mdb-sql. See Notes. -o Specify an output file. This option allows the name of an output file to be used instead of stdout. COMMANDS
mdb-sql in interactive mode takes some special commands. connect to <database> If no database was specified on the command line this command is necessary before any querys are issued. It also allows the switch- ing of databases once in the tool. disconnect Will disconnect from the current database. go Each batch is sent to the parser using the 'go' command. reset A batch can be cleared using the 'reset' command. list tables The list tables command will display a list of available tables in this database, similar to the mdb-tables utility on the command line. describe table <table> Will display the column information for the specified table. quit Will exit the tool. SQL LANGUAGE
The currently implemented SQL subset is quite small, supporting only single table queries, no aggregates, and limited support for WHERE clauses. Here is a brief synopsis of the supported language. select: SELECT [* | <column list>] FROM <table> WHERE <where clause> column list: <column> [, <column list>] where clause: <column> <operator> <literal> [AND <where clause>] operator: =, =>, =<, <>, like, <, > literal: integers, floating point numbers, or string literal in single quotes NOTES
When passing a file (-i) or piping output to mdb-sql the final 'go' is optional. This allow constructs like echo "Select * from Table1" | mdb-sql mydb.mdb to work correctly. The -i command can be passed the string 'stdin' to test entering text as if using a pipe. ENVIRONMENT
MDB_JET3_CHARSET Defines the charset of the input JET3 (access 97) file. Default is CP1252. See iconv(1). MDBICONV Defines the output charset. Default is UTF-8. mdbtools must have been compiled with iconv. MDBOPTS semi-column separated list of options: o use_index o no_memo o debug_like o debug_write o debug_usage o debug_ole o debug_row o debug_props o debug_all is a shortcut for all debug_* options HISTORY
mdb-sql first appeared in MDB Tools 0.3. SEE ALSO
gmdb2(1) mdb-export(1) mdb-hexdump(1) mdb-prop(1) mdb-ver(1) mdb-array(1) mdb-header(1) mdb-parsecsv(1) mdb-schema(1) mdb-tables(1) AUTHORS
The mdb-sql utility was written by Brian Bruns. BUGS
The supported SQL syntax is a very limited subset and deficient in several ways. 0.7 13 July 2013 MDBTools(1)