Sponsored Content
Special Forums Hardware How to *completely* disable laptop touchpad, without disabling trackpoint? Post 303041248 by DevuanFan on Tuesday 19th of November 2019 11:24:07 AM
Old 11-19-2019
Neo, here you go:
Code:
# echo serio1 >/sys/bus/serio/drivers/psmouse/unbind
# echo serio2 >/sys/bus/serio/drivers/psmouse/bind
bash: echo: write error: No such device

By the way, I found a hardware solution. If I disconnect the touchpad's ribbon (it's just below the palmrest, trivial to get to and disconnect), it only disables the touchpad (and its two buttons); the trackpoint (and its three buttons just below the space bar) remain fully functional. Here is the relevant part of the output when the touchpad's ribbon is disconnected (notice that there's no "serio2" anywhere):

Code:
$ cat /proc/bus/input/devices
---snip---
I: Bus=0011 Vendor=0002 Product=000a Version=0000
N: Name="TPPS/2 IBM TrackPoint"
P: Phys=isa0060/serio1/input0
S: Sysfs=/devices/platform/i8042/serio1/input/input6
U: Uniq=
H: Handlers=mouse0 event5 
B: PROP=21
B: EV=7
B: KEY=70000 0 0 0 0
B: REL=3

So it seems that on a hardware level the touchpad and trackpoint are indepedent; it is only on the software level that the trackpoint is always a child of the touchpad.

I'm still interested in finding a software solution.
This User Gave Thanks to DevuanFan For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. SuSE

Touchpad not working - SuSE 8.2 - Toshiba Satellite A30

Hi all, I have a bit of an inexplicable problem.... Up until today, on my Toshiba Satellite A30 Laptop running SuSE 8.2 Professional, I had a dual mouse (USB Mouse / Touchpad) configuration in X and everything was running fine. I booted the laptop today, and for some reason unbeknownst to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: zazzybob
3 Replies

2. What is on Your Mind?

And now for something completely the same

In honor of the anniversary of one of the best British shows (and memoriam of Graham Chapman)... npjOSLCR2hE 9ZlBUglE6Hc (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pludi
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to disable Enable/Disable Tab Key

Hi All, I have bash script, so what is sintax script in bash for Enable and Disable Tab Key. Thanks for your help.:( Thanks, Rico (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: carnegiex
1 Replies

4. Ubuntu

Connect 2 laptops with RJ45 cable (Ubuntu 10.10 laptop with Windows 7 laptop)

Hi to all, I have the problem that a laptops with windows XP cannot startup even in safe mode nor using last good known configuration. I have a Ubuntu 10.10 Live CD and booting from it I can read the Hard Drive. I need to do a backup the Hard Drive from XP laptop and I want to connect this... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: cgkmal
5 Replies

5. Red Hat

Fedora 14 touchpad issu for login screen

I installed fedora 14 to my old laptop and everything looks fine. But my synapticad touchpad adjustments are not valid for login screen. How can we make mouse settings that will be valid for login screen also. (after login my settings overrides) thanx in advance.. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: titanic
0 Replies

6. Red Hat

SSL/TLS renegotiation DoS -how to disable? Is it advisable to disable?

Hi all Expertise, I have following issue to solve, SSL / TLS Renegotiation DoS (low) 222.225.12.13 Ease of Exploitation Moderate Port 443/tcp Family Miscellaneous Following is the problem description:------------------ Description The remote service encrypts traffic using TLS / SSL and... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: manalisharmabe
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

touchpad not using 10-synaptics.conf

My touchpad is not using my /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/10-synaptics.conf. I used this to verify my file is being read. $ synclient -l Parameter settings: LeftEdge = 153 RightEdge = 870 TopEdge = 115 BottomEdge = 652 ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: cokedude
0 Replies

8. Ubuntu

Laptop to laptop transfer files

Dear all, I would like to transfer my old laptop documents/files etc to the new laptop without using any external hard disk. Please let me know if its possible via any way. Thank in advance, emily (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: emily
3 Replies

9. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

Disable minecraft by disabling java

my kids are on minecraft constantly. I want to restrict its use but it seems impossible since it runs on java. :eek: They are using :mad: windows 7 :mad: but I'm asking this question on here since Java is platform independent (er right?):confused: Also this forum was very helpful with my AWK... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmp260
10 Replies

10. Linux

How to use touchpad in Mint 18.3 Sylvia?

0 down vote favorite I'm using Mint 18.3 Sylvia in my Acer Aspire F 15 F5-573G-77ZP. I have problem in using touchpad, this is when I enable touchpad in Mouse and Touchpad options, I can't move the cursor of touchpad. I mean wherever I touch on the touchpad, it acts as a left click. No moving.... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Innnnna
1 Replies
PMS(4)							   BSD Kernel Interfaces Manual 						    PMS(4)

NAME
pms -- PS/2 auxiliary port mouse driver SYNOPSIS
pckbc* at isa? pms* at pckbc? wsmouse* at pms? options PMS_DISABLE_POWERHOOK options PMS_SYNAPTICS_TOUCHPAD options PMS_ELANTECH_TOUCHPAD DESCRIPTION
The pms driver provides an interface to PS/2 auxiliary port mice within the wscons(4) framework. Parent device in terms of the autoconfigu- ration framework is pckbc(4), the PC keyboard controller. ``pms'' is a generic driver which supports mice using common variants of the PS/2 protocol, including wheel mice of the ``IntelliMouse'' breed. Wheel movements are mapped to a third (z-) axis. The driver is believed to work with both 3-button and 5-button mice with scroll wheels. Mice which use other protocol extensions are not currently supported, but might be if protocol documentation could be found. Mouse related data are accessed by wsmouse(4) devices. The pms driver has been updated to attempt to renegotiate mouse protocol after seeing suspicious or defective mouse protocol packets, or unusual delays in the middle of a packet; this should improve the chances that a mouse will recover after being switched away or reset (for instance, by a console switch). The PMS_DISABLE_POWERHOOK kernel option disables PS/2 reset on resume. In addition, the pms driver supports the ``Synaptics'' and ``Elantech'' touchpads in native mode, enabled with the PMS_SYNAPTICS_TOUCHPAD and PMS_ELANTECH_TOUCHPAD kernel options. This allows the driver to take advantage of extra features available on Synaptics and Elantech Touch- pads. The following sysctl(8) variables control behavior of Synaptics touchpads: hw.synaptics.up_down_emulation If the touchpad reports the existence of Up/Down buttons, this value determines if they should be reported as button 4 and 5 events or if they should be used to emulate some other event. When set to 0, report Up/Down events as buttons 4 and 5. When set to 1, the Up and Down buttons are both mapped to the middle button. When set to 2 (default), the Up and Down buttons are used for Z-axis emulation, which more closely resembles how mouse wheels operate. hw.synaptics.up_down_motion_delta When the Up/Down buttons are used for Z-axis emulation, this value specifies the emulated delta-Z value per click. hw.synaptics.gesture_move Gestures will not be recognised if the finger moves by more than this amount between taps. hw.synaptics.gesture_length Gestures will not be recognised if the number of packets (at 80 packets per second) between taps exceeds this value. hw.synaptics.edge_left hw.synaptics.edge_right hw.synaptics.edge_top hw.synaptics.edge_bottom These values define a border around the touchpad which will be used for edge motion emulation during a drag gesture. If a drag gesture is in progress and the finger moves into this border, the driver will behave as if the finger continues to move in the same direction beyond the edge of the touchpad. hw.synaptics.edge_motion_delta This specifies the pointer speed when edge motion is in effect. hw.synaptics.finger_high The driver will ignore new finger events until the reported pressure exceeds this value. hw.synaptics.finger_low The driver will assume a finger remains on the touchpad until the reported pressure drops below this value. hw.synaptics.two_fingers_emulation More recent touchpads can report the presence of more than one finger on the pad. This value determines how such events are used. If set to 0 (default), two-finger events are ignored. If set to 1, two-finger events generate a right button click. If set to 2, two-finger events generate a middle button click. hw.synaptics.scale_x hw.synaptics.scale_y Scale factor used to divide movement deltas derived from Synaptics coordinates (0-6143) to yield more reasonable values (default 16). hw.synaptics.max_speed_x hw.synaptics.max_speed_y Limits pointer rate of change (after scaling) per reported movement event (default 32). hw.synaptics.movement_threshold Movements of less than this value (in Synaptics coordinates) are ignored (default 4). The following sysctl(8) variables control behavior of Elantech touchpads: hw.elantech.xy_precision_shift hw.elantech.z_precision_shift Increased values improve the accuracy of X, Y, and Z-axis reporting at the expense of slower mouse movement (default 2 for xy, and 3 for z). For Elantech touchpads, the Z-axis is emulated using two-finger Y-axis reporting. SEE ALSO
pckbc(4), ums(4), wsmouse(4) AUTHORS
The pms driver was originally written by Christopher G. Demetriou. The changes to merge the ``IntelliMouse'' protocol in, and reset the mouse in the event of protocol problems, were contributed by Peter Seebach. Special thanks to Ray Trent, at Synaptics, who contributed valu- able insight into how to identify bogus mouse data. The changes to add ``Synaptics'' pad support were by Ales Krenek, Kentaro A. Kurahone, and Steve C. Woodford. The changes to add ``Elantech'' pad support were by Jared D. McNeill. BUGS
It is possible for the driver to mistakenly negotiate the non-scroll-wheel protocol, after which it is unlikely to recover until the device is closed and reopened. The ``Elantech'' pad code only supports trackpads with firmware version 2.48 or above. BSD
December 13, 2008 BSD