Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers Command works interactively but not in bash script Post 303041096 by cmccabe on Thursday 14th of November 2019 02:34:06 PM
Old 11-14-2019
Maybe this will help others:

In $dir the were multiple csv files that were the same name, so I needed to add a condition to remove all but the last modified that matched the file I was looking for.

awk -F, '/Date/ {print $2}' "$new" (extracted the current) that I compared to the date -r "$new" "+%m/%d/%Y" (these had to match) then the $new was unique and the script worked. Thank you Smilie.

Last edited by cmccabe; 11-14-2019 at 03:34 PM.. Reason: added details

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

substring command works but only in BASH shell

I am having trouble running a .sh file. The code 'x=${file_name:0:$z-11}' is giving me a bad substitution error. However when I run in BASH it works. Thing is when this goes to production the .sh will not be running in BASH. Is there a way to substring a string not in BASH or a way to invoke... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: edwardtk11
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Works from bash prompt, but not from script!

I'm trying to use unison from bash on windows with cygwin. I don't know if this is a cygwin question, bash question or unison question. Since I always get reprimanded by the cygwin mailing list for assuming it is a cygwin problem, I'll assume it is a bash question. The following commands work... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: siegfried
7 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script works with bash 3.0 but not 3.2.

Hello, So my knowledge of bash scripting is not that great and I have been trying to solve this problem on my own for awhile to no avail. Here's the error I get when running it with an OS that uses bash 3.2.x: testagain.sh: line 10: *-1: syntax error: operand expected (error token is... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: forkandspoon
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

SH script, variable built command fails, but works at command line

I am working with a sh script on a solaris 9 zone (sol 10 host) that grabs information to build the configuration command line. the variables Build64, SSLopt, CONFIGopt, and CC are populated in the script. the script includes CC=`which gcc` CONFIGopt=' --prefix=/ --exec-prefix=/usr... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: oly_r
8 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

C-program works fine interactively, but not on the SGE server

Greetings, I have a C-program that is made to implement a hidden Markov model on an input file. The program is very memory intensive. I've installed it on my local server where I have an account and it compiles fine. The way they have the server set up is that you can either work... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Twinklefingers
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Bash script dont works when executed as cronjob

Hello, i have cronjob: crontab -l * * * * * pkill -f domexpcheck;sh /root/dom/domexpcheck.sh it runs: /var/log/cron Mar 25 12:11:01 vps crond: (root) CMD (pkill -f domexpcheck;sh /root/dom/domexpcheck.sh) but somehow script dont run properly via cronjob. But when i execute cronjob... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: postcd
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Calling bash script works when called manually but not via Cron?

Hi, I've got a Bash backup script I'm trying to run on a directory via a cron job nightly. If I ssh in and run the script manually it works flawlessly. If I set up the cron to run evertything is totally messed up I don't even know where to begin. Basically the path structure is ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: wyclef
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script in bash that works only some of the time

I ran this script yesterday (in the background) /usr/bin/nohup myfilelocation/myscriptname.sh & the script worked perfectly. i ran it today (also in the background) and just sat there. So i killed it and ran it normally and it worked perfectly. Anyone suggest why it just sat there and... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: twinion
8 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cp command works on command line but not in bash

The below command moves all the .vcf files into the directory. cp /home/cmccabe/Desktop/test/vcf/overall/stats/*.vcf /home/cmccabe/Desktop/NGS/annovar When I use a bash wrapper the target.txt gets created but the text files do not get copied. All the paths are the same, but not sure why... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Expect scripting issue, works interactively when doing commands in cli, does not work in script

Hi; problem may be obvious, simple but I have to say it is somehow not easy to locate the issue. I am doing some word extracting from multiline text. Interacting in CLI seems to work without issues. First step is to add multiline text to a variable. expect1.1> expect1.1> set... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: aldowski
2 Replies
Date::Manip::Migration5to6(3)				User Contributed Perl Documentation			     Date::Manip::Migration5to6(3)

NAME
Date::Manip::Migration5to6 - how to upgrade from 5.xx to 6.00 SYNOPSIS
When upgrading from Date::Manip 5.xx to 6.00, a few changes may be necessary to your scripts. The Date::Manip::Changes5to6 document lists in more detail the ways in which Date::Manip changed, but very few of these actually entail changes to your script. It should be noted that once the changes are made to your script, it will no longer run correctly in 5.xx. NECESSARY AND SUGGESTED CHANGES
The following changes are necessary, or strongly suggested: Reading config files with Date_Init If you use Date_Init to read any config files (if you do business mode calculations, you probably do), you should remove all of the following config variables from your call to Date_Init: GlobalCnf=FILE PersonalCnf=FILE PathSep=* IgnoreGlobalCnf=* PersonalCnfPath=* and replace them with: ConfigFile=FILE where FILE is now the full path to a config file. Also, the ConfigFile argument should be the first argument in Date_Init. Date_ConvTZ The Date_ConvTZ function has changed. It should now take 3 arguments: $date = Date_ConvTZ($date,$from,$to); If $from is not given, it defaults to the local time zone. If $to is not given, it defaults to the local time zone. The date is converted from the $from time zone into the $to time zone. Both should be any time zone (or alias) supported by Date::Manip. The old $errlevel argument is no longer handled. ConvTZ and TZ config variables If you use either the ConvTZ or TZ config variables, you should replace them with either SetDate or ForceDate. See the Date::Manip::Config document for information. The TZ variable will continue to work until Dec 2013 at which point it will be removed. Other deprecated config variables The following config variables have been deprecated, but will continue to function (though they will be removed at a future date): TZ (removed Dec 2013) The following variables have been removed. If you use any of them, you may need to modify your scripts: IntCharSet GlobalCnf PersonalCnf PathSep IgnoreGlobalCnf PersonalCnfPath ConvTZ Internal TodayIsMidnight DeltaSigns UpdateCurrTZ ResetWorkdDay today, yesterday, tomorrow If you parse the strings "today", "yesterday", or "tomorrow" in order to get the time now, or 24 hours in the past/future, this will no longer work. These strings now refer strictly to the date (so "today" is the current day at midnight, "yesterday" is the previous day at midnight, etc.). To get the time now, 24 hours ago, or 24 hours in the future, you would need to parse the strings "now", "-24:00:00", or "+24:00:00" respectively. Do not use Memoize In 5.xx, it was documented that you could use the module Memoize to speed up Date::Manip, especially when sorting dates. This information is no longer accurate. Using Memoize in conjunction with Date::Manip should have little impact on performance, and may lead to incorrect results, especially if you change config variables. Please see the Date::Manip::Changes5to6 (GENERAL CHANGES) document for more information. If you find other instances where it is necessary to modify your script, please email me so that I can add that information to this document. BUGS AND QUESTIONS
Please refer to the Date::Manip::Problems documentation for information on submitting bug reports or questions to the author. SEE ALSO
Date::Manip - main module documentation LICENSE
This script is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. AUTHOR
Sullivan Beck (sbeck@cpan.org) perl v5.16.3 2014-06-09 Date::Manip::Migration5to6(3)