Sponsored Content
The Lounge What is on Your Mind? Temporarily Disabled MySQL Update for Man Pages Post 303040463 by Neo on Wednesday 30th of October 2019 12:42:59 AM
Old 10-30-2019
Temporarily Disabled MySQL Update for Man Pages

I had some code in place to update the MySQL man page DB 'on the fly' but this database has grown so big over time (now over 7 GB, 7.1 GB to be exact) that the update query was causing the man page rendering to slow down to a crawl.

So, I just disabled updating the table 'on the fly' so the pages will load fast again.

It was not the number of rows causing the problem but something else:

Code:
mysql> select count(*) from `neo_man_page_entry`;
+----------+
| count(*) |
+----------+
|   347938 |
+----------+
1 row in set (0.00 sec)

Which I think is related to indexing in that table and the update query.

So, I'll revisit and fix this at a later time.

For now, I man pages are loading fast again.

4 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Man pages

Hello , I just installed openssh in my system . I actually tried to man sshd but it says no entry , though there is a man directory in the installation which have the man pages for sshd . Can anyone tell me how should i install these man pages . DP (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: DPAI
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

man pages

Hi, I've written now a man pages, but I don't knwo how to get 'man' to view them. Where have I to put this files, which directories are allowed?? THX Bensky (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bensky
3 Replies

3. Programming

Man pages for C API for MySql

Hi, I am on Ubuntu 9.04 tweaking some programs demanding MySql queries. I got the program working by installing following package: sudo apt-get install libmysqlclient-dev and using proper include and library folder However I was unable to access any man pages for these C api's (Strangely... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dheerajsuthar
1 Replies

4. HP-UX

Looking for some man pages.

Can anyone supply me with the man pages for: omnidatalist omnibarlist omnisap.exe I prefer the source man pages in nroff format. A clue about the software bundles which supply these man pages is fine as well. OS: HP-UX TIA (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: sb008
11 Replies
DELETE(7)							   SQL Commands 							 DELETE(7)

NAME
DELETE - delete rows of a table SYNOPSIS
DELETE FROM [ ONLY ] table [ WHERE condition ] INPUTS table The name (optionally schema-qualified) of an existing table. condition This is an SQL selection query which returns the rows which are to be deleted. Refer to the SELECT statement for further description of the WHERE clause. OUTPUTS DELETE count Message returned if items are successfully deleted. The count is the number of rows deleted. If count is 0, no rows were deleted. DESCRIPTION
DELETE removes rows which satisfy the WHERE clause from the specified table. If the condition (WHERE clause) is absent, the effect is to delete all rows in the table. The result is a valid, but empty table. Tip: TRUNCATE [truncate(7)] is a PostgreSQL extension which provides a faster mechanism to remove all rows from a table. By default DELETE will delete tuples in the table specified and all its sub-tables. If you wish to only update the specific table men- tioned, you should use the ONLY clause. You must have write access to the table in order to modify it, as well as read access to any table whose values are read in the condition. USAGE
Remove all films but musicals: DELETE FROM films WHERE kind <> 'Musical'; SELECT * FROM films; code | title | did | date_prod | kind | len -------+---------------------------+-----+------------+---------+------- UA501 | West Side Story | 105 | 1961-01-03 | Musical | 02:32 TC901 | The King and I | 109 | 1956-08-11 | Musical | 02:13 WD101 | Bed Knobs and Broomsticks | 111 | | Musical | 01:57 (3 rows) Clear the table films: DELETE FROM films; SELECT * FROM films; code | title | did | date_prod | kind | len ------+-------+-----+-----------+------+----- (0 rows) COMPATIBILITY
SQL92 SQL92 allows a positioned DELETE statement: DELETE FROM table WHERE CURRENT OF cursor where cursor identifies an open cursor. Interactive cursors in PostgreSQL are read-only. SQL - Language Statements 2002-11-22 DELETE(7)