Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: If statement arguments
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers If statement arguments Post 303040327 by Eric7giants on Saturday 26th of October 2019 03:40:51 PM
Old 10-26-2019
The issue I'm running into is that if I enter a number as a parameter, it functions correctly, but when I enter a name, nothing happens.

Code:
#!/bin/bash

name=$1
number=$2

if [ $# -eq 0 ]; then
        echo "Two arguments are expected in the form of ./scriptname [name number]"
fi

case $name in
        $1)

if [[ $1 == [[:alpha]]* ]]; then
                        if grep -qiw "$name" teledir.txt; then
                                echo "$name exists"
                        else
                                echo "Name  does NOT exist"
                        fi

elif [[ $1 == [0-9]* ]]; then
                        if grep -qiw "$name" teledir.txt; then
                                echo "$name  exists"
                       else
                                echo "Number does NOT exist"
                       fi
                fi

esac

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

if statement - how can I do 2 arguments?

I am new to shell, and I am trying to do a if statement like the following: if ; then basically it works fine if both arguments of the if are met, however the next elif is: elif ; then if the conditions of the elif are met, then it says "final1.sh: line 67: [: too many arguments" ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Darklight
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

If statement - How to write a null statement

In my ksh script, if the conditions of a if statement are true, then do nothing; otherwise, execute some commands. How do I write the "do nothing" statement in the following example? Example: if (( "$x"="1" && "$y"="a" && "$z"="happy" )) then do nothing else command command fi... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: april
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How is use sselect statement o/p in insert statement.

Hi All, I am using Unix ksh script. I need to insert values to a table using the o/p from a slelect statement. Can anybody Help! My script looks like tihs. ---`sqlplus -s username/password@SID << EOF set heading off set feedback off set pages 0 insert into ${TB_NAME}_D... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nkosaraju
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Too many arguments?

I can't find anything wrong with this line of code, it works when there is one file in the directory but more than one i get a "too many arguements2 error if ; then am i missing something? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Alendrin
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep with two arguments to arguments to surch for

Hello, is it possible to give grep two documents to surche for? like grep "test" /home/one.txt AND /home/two.txt ? thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Cybertron
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

case statement for different cmd arguments

Hello friends, I have a boubt passing different arguments at a time for any one option in below code. I would also like to check which option has been selected (any one of i, r, u ) so that whether or not matching argument passed can be verified. for i and r - install and re-install -... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: pd2
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

creating printf statement using user arguments

I am writing a script in bash and want to perform the operation I check number of arguments and make a print statement with the passes arguments If I pass 3 arguments I will do printf "$frmt" "$1" "$2" "$3"If I have 4 arguments I do printf "$frmt" "$1" "$2" "$3" "$4"etc (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kristinu
4 Replies

8. Programming

Passing arguments from command line to switch case statement in C

Hi Am pretty new to C.. Am trying to pass the arguments from command line and use them in switch case statement.. i have tried the following #include <stdlib.h> main(int argc, char* argv) { int num=0; if ( argc == 2 ) num = argv; printf("%d is the num value",num); switch ( num ) ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Priya Amaresh
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Arguments in usage statement

Hello, I have a question regarding the usage statement of a script. I have 2 parameters "--pto" and "--pto_list". To start the script I will need one of them. Both together are not possible. How this would be printed out within a usage statement? My suggestion would be: Usage:... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: API
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Convert Update statement into Insert statement in UNIX using awk, sed....

Hi folks, I have a scenario to convert the update statements into insert statements using shell script (awk, sed...) or in database using regex. I have a bunch of update statements with all columns in a file which I need to convert into insert statements. UPDATE TABLE_A SET COL1=1 WHERE... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: dev123
0 Replies
MSSQL_FIELD_SEEK(3)													       MSSQL_FIELD_SEEK(3)

mssql_field_seek - Seeks to the specified field offset

SYNOPSIS
bool mssql_field_seek (resource $result, int $field_offset) DESCRIPTION
Seeks to the specified field offset. If the next call to mssql_fetch_field(3) won't include a field offset, this field would be returned. PARAMETERS
o $result - The result resource that is being evaluated. This result comes from a call to mssql_query(3). o $field_offset - The field offset, starts at 0. RETURN VALUES
Returns TRUE on success or FALSE on failure. EXAMPLES
Example #1 Using mssql_field_seek(3) on the example for mssql_fetch_field(3) <?php // Connect to MSSQL and select the database mssql_connect('MANGOSQLEXPRESS', 'sa', 'phpfi'); mssql_select_db('php'); // Send a select query to MSSQL $query = mssql_query('SELECT * FROM [php].[dbo].[persons]'); // Construct table echo '<h3>Table structure for 'persons'</h3>'; echo '<table border="1">'; // Table header echo '<thead>'; echo '<tr>'; echo '<td>Field name</td>'; echo '<td>Data type</td>'; echo '<td>Max length</td>'; echo '</tr>'; echo '</thead>'; // Dump all fields echo '<tbody>'; for ($i = 0; $i < mssql_num_fields($query); ++$i) { // Fetch the field information, notice the // field_offset parameter is not set. See // the mssql_field_seek call below $field = mssql_fetch_field($query); // Print the row echo '<tr>'; echo '<td>' . $field->name . '</td>'; echo '<td>' . strtoupper($field->type) . '</td>'; echo '<td>' . $field->max_length . '</td>'; echo '</tr>'; // Move the internal seek pointer to the next // row in the result set mssql_field_seek($query, $i + 1); } echo '</tbody>'; echo '</table>'; // Free the query result mssql_free_result($query); ?> SEE ALSO
mssql_fetch_field(3). PHP Documentation Group MSSQL_FIELD_SEEK(3)