Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers File manipulation place 0 before the number using sed Post 303039603 by RavinderSingh13 on Thursday 10th of October 2019 05:33:59 AM
Old 10-10-2019
Hello akopocpoypoy,

Or adding 1 more approach where no need to hard code string again and again, simply keep a string into a variable Oct in this case and need not to change anything in code.
Code:
awk -v var="Oct" '
{
  while(match($0,var" [0-9]+")){
    val=sprintf("%s %02d",substr($0,RSTART,4),substr($0,RSTART+3,RLENGTH-3))
    sub(var " [0-9]+",val)
  }
}
'   Input_file

Thanks,
R. Singh

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

file name Manipulation using sed

Hi, I have a file name, for which I want to strip out the first bit and leave the rest... So I want to take the file name .lockfile-filename.10001 ,strip it and have only filename.10001 ... Thanking you all inadvance, Zak (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Zak
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Place number with awk

Hello, if I've a list of number 23 34 56 78 how I can place a sequence of ordinated number in a boundary column so 1 23 2 34 3 56 4 78 Thanks in advance! (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: cv313x
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read a number from file and place it back

Hi All, I want to read one number from the file. Only one number will be there in the file. then i have to increment the number in my script and put it back in the same file. Is it possible? Can anybody help me? Thanks, Vinay (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: vinayakatj56
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

File manipulation with AWK and SED

Hello How do i check that correct input files are used while using AWk and SED for file manipulation? e.g awk '/bin/ {print $0 }' shell.txt sed 's/hp/samsung/' printers.txt how do i ensure that the correct input files I am working with are used? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pauline mugisha
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

SED/AWK file read & manipulation

I have large number of data files, close to 300 files, lets say all files are same kind and have extension .dat , each file have mulitple lines in it. There is a unique line in each file containing string 'SERVER'. Right after this line there is another line which contain a string 'DIGIT=0',... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sal_tx
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

setter and getter functions for file manipulation with sed

Hi, I would really appreciate some help, I couldn't nail my problem: I would like to create some setter and getter functions to make my life easier. my sample file contains: keyword - some tabs - value - semicolon number 12.1; float .3; double 12; real 12.2324; stuff .234; decimal... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Toorop
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with number field manipulation

I have a comma separated file containing numbers, I would like to read the file and divide each number by 1024 and create an output file. Input file : 50312.00,3434.05, ,3433.34,124344.00,434343.00, , , Output file: 49.13,3.35,3.35,0,12.05,424.16,0,0 Please click this link: How to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: inditopgun
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Use GREP to count number of records and place it in a variable

I am trying to count the number of records from different files using grep, and then place the result in a separate variable for each file, so at the end of my shell script, I can sum all the variables and check if the number of records are equal to what I was expecting. It is weird butwc -ldoes... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dhruuv369
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed flat file manipulation

Hello, I have a large flat file where i need to change data in columns 131-133 based on what is in columns 172-173. I am not sure if I need to read the file line by line and make the change or if I can do this in a single statement. thank you (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gblmin
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Zero padding a Number before and after a decimal place

Hi I was hoping someone could help me with a sed script I am trying to write? I am on a Mac running ElCapitan I have some text that I have converted from a pdf that I want to format into an xml file. In the file I have managed to delete all the text I do not need. The text I have left is... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Paul Walker
8 Replies
SUBSTR(3)								 1								 SUBSTR(3)

substr - Return part of a string

SYNOPSIS
string substr (string $string, int $start, [int $length]) DESCRIPTION
Returns the portion of $string specified by the $start and $length parameters. PARAMETERS
o $string - The input string. Must be one character or longer. o $start - If $start is non-negative, the returned string will start at the $start'th position in $string, counting from zero. For instance, in the string ' abcdef', the character at position 0 is ' a', the character at position 2 is ' c', and so forth. If $start is negative, the returned string will start at the $start'th character from the end of $string. If $string is less than or equal to $start characters long, FALSE will be returned. Example #1 Using a negative $start <?php $rest = substr("abcdef", -1); // returns "f" $rest = substr("abcdef", -2); // returns "ef" $rest = substr("abcdef", -3, 1); // returns "d" ?> o $length - If $length is given and is positive, the string returned will contain at most $length characters beginning from $start (depend- ing on the length of $string). If $length is given and is negative, then that many characters will be omitted from the end of $string (after the start position has been calculated when a $start is negative). If $start denotes the position of this trunca- tion or beyond, false will be returned. If $length is given and is 0, FALSE or NULL, an empty string will be returned. If $length is omitted, the substring starting from $start until the end of the string will be returned. Example #2 Using a negative $length <?php $rest = substr("abcdef", 0, -1); // returns "abcde" $rest = substr("abcdef", 2, -1); // returns "cde" $rest = substr("abcdef", 4, -4); // returns false $rest = substr("abcdef", -3, -1); // returns "de" ?> RETURN VALUES
Returns the extracted part of $string; or FALSE on failure, or an empty string. CHANGELOG
+--------------+---------------------------------------------------+ | Version | | | | | | | Description | | | | +--------------+---------------------------------------------------+ |5.2.2 - 5.2.6 | | | | | | | If the $start parameter indicates the position | | | of a negative truncation or beyond, false is | | | returned. Other versions get the string from | | | start. | | | | +--------------+---------------------------------------------------+ EXAMPLES
Example #3 Basic substr(3) usage <?php echo substr('abcdef', 1); // bcdef echo substr('abcdef', 1, 3); // bcd echo substr('abcdef', 0, 4); // abcd echo substr('abcdef', 0, 8); // abcdef echo substr('abcdef', -1, 1); // f // Accessing single characters in a string // can also be achieved using "square brackets" $string = 'abcdef'; echo $string[0]; // a echo $string[3]; // d echo $string[strlen($string)-1]; // f ?> Example #4 substr(3) casting behaviour <?php class apple { public function __toString() { return "green"; } } echo "1) ".var_export(substr("pear", 0, 2), true).PHP_EOL; echo "2) ".var_export(substr(54321, 0, 2), true).PHP_EOL; echo "3) ".var_export(substr(new apple(), 0, 2), true).PHP_EOL; echo "4) ".var_export(substr(true, 0, 1), true).PHP_EOL; echo "5) ".var_export(substr(false, 0, 1), true).PHP_EOL; echo "6) ".var_export(substr("", 0, 1), true).PHP_EOL; echo "7) ".var_export(substr(1.2e3, 0, 4), true).PHP_EOL; ?> The above example will output: 1) 'pe' 2) '54' 3) 'gr' 4) '1' 5) false 6) false 7) '1200' ERRORS
/EXCEPTIONS Returns FALSE on error. Example #5 <?php var_dump(substr('a', 1)); // bool(false) ?> SEE ALSO
strrchr(3), substr_replace(3), preg_match(3), trim(3), mb_substr(3), wordwrap(3), String access and modification by character. PHP Documentation Group SUBSTR(3)