Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Find ' (apostrophe) by grep
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers Find ' (apostrophe) by grep Post 303039399 by abdossamad2003 on Thursday 3rd of October 2019 06:16:21 AM
Old 10-03-2019
Find ' (apostrophe) by grep

hi linux expert
how can i find apostrophe (') symbol in text file by grep? for example for find 'test, the command grep " \'test" * is not useful.

Many Thanks
samad

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to strip apostrophe from a file

I am trying to remove or replace various extraneous characters from a file so that subsequent processes work correctly. The characters that is giving me trouble is the apostrophe '. The command I 'm trying is sed 's/\'//g' ${IN_WRK_DIR}/file1 > ${IN_WRK_DIR}/file2 in a Korn script on HP... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: aquimby
8 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Escaping apostrophe using shell script

Hi, I am using the KSH shell. I am facing a problem of escaping apostrophe('), that is occuring in a variable. I used the following command, but in vain item=`echo $item|sed 's/'/\'/g'` this code replaces the occurance of ' in an xml file to apostrophe(') symbol. The output of... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mradul_kaushik
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

inserting an apostrophe into awk output

hello, I have a simple awk script thus: egrep populateNode logfile.txt | gawk '{print $11}' This gives me a list of usernames. I want to pipe the above command into another command that will surround each username with an SQL insert statement: insert into thetable (username) values... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: tenakha
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

script to replace a character with '(Apostrophe)

Hi Friends, I need a sed or awk based script to replace a character(alphabet) with ' (Apostrophe). I tried to use the following two commands 1) sed -e 's/a/'/' filename 2) awk '{sub("a","'",$1);print}' filename but both got failed. Any help on this. Thanks in advance.. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ks_reddy
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl - Title Case after apostrophe

I've got: $string =~ s/(\w+)/\u\L$1/g; Which capitalizes each word in the string. The problem is if I have a string with an apostrophe the first letter after it gets capitalized as well. So Bob's becomes Bob'S. Thanks for any quick fixes! (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mjmtaiwan
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace apostrophe with backslash apostrophe

I'm coding using BASH and have a requirement to replace apostrophes with backslash apostrophes. For example below: I am here 'in my room' ok Would be changed to: I am here /'in my room/' ok The original text is coming from a field in a MySql database and is being used by another process that... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: dbjock
5 Replies

7. Programming

How to change only one occurance of apostrophe with sed

Hi, I have a document with usual English text and some of the words have apostrophes (e.g. don't, can't, etc.) I would like all these apostrophes to be doubled (e.g. don''t, can''t, etc.), but the problem is, that some of such words have double apostrophe and by using sed -i "s/'/''/g"... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: neptun79
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to use grep & find command to find references to a particular file

Hi all , I'm new to unix I have a checked project , there exists a file called xxx.config . now my task is to find all the files in the checked out project which references to this xxx.config file. how do i use grep or find command . (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Gangam
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove apostrophe and a letter followed by it

Hi All, For example, I have some words like these: cabinet's school's field's you'll I know how to remove apostrophe from these words using this command: cat filename | tr -s "\'" ' ' But I am not sure how I can remove the letter followed by the apostrophe, so that my output... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: shoaibjameel123
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Usage of sed, position of apostrophe

Hello, I have never ever seen below notation for string substitution. sed -i -e 's/tttt/pppp'/g /var/bin/czech.sh; The strange thing for me is the position of the apostrophe. Should it be before the / or after the g? If I had been writing that command line, I would have chosen below way:... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: baris35
3 Replies
ZGREP(1)						      General Commands Manual							  ZGREP(1)

NAME
zgrep - search possibly compressed files for a regular expression SYNOPSIS
zgrep [ grep_options ] [ -e ] pattern filename... DESCRIPTION
Zgrep invokes grep on compressed or gzipped files. These grep options will cause zgrep to terminate with an error code: (-[drRzZ]|--di*|--exc*|--inc*|--rec*|--nu*). All other options specified are passed directly to grep. If no file is specified, then the standard input is decompressed if necessary and fed to grep. Otherwise the given files are uncompressed if necessary and fed to grep. If the GREP environment variable is set, zgrep uses it as the grep program to be invoked. EXIT CODE
2 - An option that is not supported was specified. AUTHOR
Charles Levert (charles@comm.polymtl.ca) SEE ALSO
grep(1), gzexe(1), gzip(1), zdiff(1), zforce(1), zmore(1), znew(1) ZGREP(1)