Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers How to find the count of IP addresses that belong to different subnets and display the count? Post 303039311 by new2prog on Monday 30th of September 2019 02:55:30 PM
Old 09-30-2019
How to find the count of IP addresses that belong to different subnets and display the count?

Hi,

I have a file with a list of bunch of IP addresses from different VLAN's . I am trying to find the list the number of each vlan occurence in the output
Here is how my file looks like
Code:

So what I am trying to get out of this is to using grep and count mechanism to spit something like this
Code:
1.1.1.x  occrences 3
1.1.2.x  occrences 2
1.1.3.x  occrences 4

Moderator's Comments:
Mod Comment Use code tags to wrap code fragments or data samples.

Last edited by Yoda; 09-30-2019 at 05:15 PM..

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Display the count of files

I am new to shell programming. Can anyone help me out with anyone of these? Display a count of the number of regular files, the number of symbolic links, the number of sub-directories, the number of block-special files, and the number of character-special files in the directory. I don't... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: wayne1411
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

IPv4 addresses: count/output and Awk/Sed

Hi forum. I am fairly new to scripting and use a simple script to process e-mails for my work. These e-mails contain a list of IPv4 IPs that I process and seperate into text files, which are then attached to a larger, 'digest' e-mail. I also put some of the output from the text files into the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: laebshade
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to display and count

Hi there, I'd like to find a way to display a string and count the words in it. supernova:~# echo 'hello world' | tee - | wc Unfortunately, this doesn't work. Any idea? Thanks in advance. Santiago (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: chebarbudo
15 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

d. Write a shell script to count the number of accounts which belong to particular primary

guys, I am new shelll scripting.. this a question on passt exam paper, I was trying to solve it , I can not. the question is as follow? a. Write a shell script to count the number of accounts which belong to particular primary group in a standard UNIX system which uses local... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gurmad
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

count identical strings print last row and count

I have a sorted file like: Apple 3 Apple 5 Apple 8 Banana 2 Banana 3 Grape 31 Orange 7 Orange 13 I'd like to search $1 and if $1 is not the same as $1 in the previous row print that row and print the number of times $1 was found. so the output would look like: Apple 8 3 Banana... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dcfargo
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read File and Display The Count of a particular field

Hi Mates, I require help in the following: I have the following file snmp.txt Wed Mar 2 16:02:39 SGT 2011 Class : mmTrapBladeS origin : 10.0.0.0 hostname : 10.0.0.2 msg : IBM Blade Alert: Calendar Index : 10.0.0.2-IBMBLADE Fri Mar 4 07:10:54 SGT 2011 Class : mmTrapBladeS... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dbashyam
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Single UNIX command to display users and to count them

Hello everyone, I am new to Unix and I am stuck with a problem. I need only a single command to display the output of who and then add the total number of users and display at the bottom of that output. Example-: (Expected output) sreyan@debian:~$ <command> sreyan tty7 ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: sreyan32
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare file1 header count with file2 line count

What I'm trying to accomplish. I receive a Header and Detail file for daily processing. The detail file comes first which holds data, the header is a receipt of the detail file and has the detail files record count. Before processing the detail file I would like to put a wrapper around another... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: pone2332
4 Replies

9. Programming

SQL*PLUS How to display a count of 0

Hi, I have been frantically googling and checking some sqlplus forums, but can't find the correct syntax. Basically within sqlplus I want to do a count on a table and if the count is 0 it displays 0 instead of "no rows found". For eample: select count(*) from tableA where... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: chris01010
3 Replies
FIPVLAN(8)							  Open-FCoE Tools							FIPVLAN(8)

NAME
fipvlan - Fibre Channel over Ethernet VLAN Discovery SYNOPSIS
fipvlan [-c|--create] [-s|--start] [-m|--mode fabric|vn2vn] interfaces fipvlan -a|--auto [-c|--create] [-d|--debug] [-s|--start] [-m|--mode fabric|vn2vn] [-l|--link-retry count] fipvlan -h|--help fipvlan -v|--version DESCRIPTION
The fipvlan command performs Fibre Channel over Ethernet (FCoE) Initialization Protocol (FIP) VLAN Discovery over Ethernet interfaces. fipvlan can be used as a diagnostic tool to determine which VLANs have FCoE services available on a network, prior to configuring VLAN interfaces and the Open-FCoE initiator. fipvlan can also be used to create VLAN interfaces as they are discovered, and to start the Open-FCoE initiator. The --create and --start options are primarily intended to be used as part of an Open-FCoE boot solution. FCoE instances started in this way cannot be destroyed or reset by fcoeadm. fipvlan takes a list of network interface names to run the VLAN discovery protocol over, or the --auto option to use all available Ethernet interfaces. fipvlan will enable any interface which is found disabled. If no response is received on that interface it will be shutdown again when fipvlan terminates. OPTIONS
-a, --auto Use all Ethernet interfaces currently available -c, --create Create network interfaces for discovered FCoE VLANs. If a VLAN device already exists for a discovered VLAN, a new VLAN device will not be created. -d, --debug Enable debugging output -s, --start Start the Open-FCoE initiator on discovered FCoE VLANs -m, --mode fabric|vn2vn Specify whether VLAN discovery is performed in the default fabric mode, or in VN2VN mode. -f, --suffix suffix Append the specified string suffix to VLAN interface names. -l, --link-retry count Retry check for link up to count times. The link state is checked every 500 ms. The default number of retries is 20. -h, --help Display a help message with basic usage instructions -v, --version Display the fipvlan version string VLAN NAMING CONVENTIONS
If a new VLAN device is created, it will have the name dev.vlan; where dev is the name of the Ethernet parent device and vlan is the discovered VLAN ID number. An optional suffix may be appended to this with the the -f command line option. EXAMPLES
Display all discoverable VLANs with FCoE services fipvlan --auto Discover FCoE VLANs on interface eth2, create VLAN devices and start the Open-FCoE initiator fipvlan --create --start eth2 In this example if FCoE services were available on VLAN 101 of network interface eth2, then a VLAN interface eth2.101 would be created and used as the parent device for the initiator. SEE ALSO
fcoeadm(8) fcoemon(8) SUPPORT
fipvlan is part of the fcoe-utils package, maintained through the Open-FCoE project. Resources for both developers and users can be found at the Open-FCoE website http://open-fcoe.org/ Open-FCoE 03/18/2013 FIPVLAN(8)