Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers Remove newline character from column spread over multiple lines in a file Post 303039194 by Prathmesh on Thursday 26th of September 2019 12:04:47 AM
Old 09-26-2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoda
Another approach using awk:-
Code:
awk '{t+=gsub(/\|/,"&")}t!=3{ORS=FS}t==3{ORS=RS;t=0}1' file

Thanks for your reply.
Can you please explain how this approach works for me? I am having difficulty in understanding it.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Can I spread commands over multiple lines?

Below an example of what I mean. The first attempt does what I want; the second doesn't, because bash assumes a line break means the end of an individual "command unix". Is there some way that I can convince bash to parse out, eg, to the closing parenthesis? I'm thinking this would allow for... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: tphyahoo
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

removing pattern which is spread in multiple lines

I have several huge files wich contains oracle table creation scripts as follows: I would need to remove the pattern colored in red above. Any sed/awk/pearl code will be of much help. Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sabyasm
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to remove a newline character at the end of filename

Hi All, I have named a file with current date,time and year as follows: month=`date | awk '{print $2}'` date=`date | awk '{print $3}'` year=`date | awk '{print $6}'` time=`date +%Hh_%Mm_%Ss'` filename="test_"$month"_"$date"_"$year"_"$time".txt" > $filename The file is created with a... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: amio
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

To remove the newline character while appending into a file

Hi All, We append the output of a file's size in a file. But a newline character is appended after the variable. Pls help how to clear this. filesize=`ls -l test.txt | awk `{print $5}'` echo File size of test.txt is $filesize bytes >> logfile.txt The output we got is, File size of... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: amio
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove newline character conditionally

Hi All, I have 5000 records like this Request_id|Type|Status|Priority|Ticket Submitted Date and Time|Actual Resolved Date and Time|Current Ticket Owner Group|Case final Ticket Owner Group|Customer Severity|Reported Symptom/Request|Component|Hot Topic|Reason for Missed SLA|Current Ticket... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: j_53933
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

[AWK] handeling data spread on multiple lines

Hello all, first off great forum. Now for my little problem. Using RHEL 5.4 and awk. Been doing code since a few month. So just starting. My problem is handeling data on multiple lines. { if ($1 != LASTKEY && h ~ /.*\/s_fr_/) { checkgecos( h, h ) h="" ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: maverick72
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove \n <newline> character inside the records.

Hi, In my file, I have '\n' characters inside a single record. Because of this, a single records appears in many lines and looks like multiple records. In the below file. File 1 ==== 1,nmae,lctn,da\n t 2,ghjik,o\n ut,de\n fk Expected output after the \n removed File 2 =====... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: machomaddy
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove newline character between two delimiters

hi i am having delimited .dat file having content like below. test.dat(5 line of records) ====== PT2~Stag~Pt2 Stag Test. Updated~PT2 S T~Area~~UNCEF R20~~2012-05-24 ~2014-05-24~~ PT2~Stag y~Pt2 Stag Test. Updated~PT2 S T~Area~METR~~~2012-05-24~2014-05-24~~test PT2~Pt2 Stag Test~~PT2 S... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sushine11
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove last newline character..

Hi all.. I have a text file which looks like below: abcd efgh ijkl (blank space) I need to remove only the last (blank space) from the file. When I try wc -l the file name,the number of lines coming is 3 only, however blank space is there in the file. I have tried options like... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sathya83aa
14 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to remove newline character if it is the only character in the entire file.?

I have a file which comes every day and the file data look's as below. Vi abc.txt a|b|c|d\n a|g|h|j\n Some times we receive the file with only a new line character in the file like vi abc.txt \n (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: rak Kundra
8 Replies
UUENCODE(5)							File Formats Manual						       UUENCODE(5)

NAME
uuencode - format of an encoded uuencode file DESCRIPTION
Files output by uuencode(1) consist of a header line, followed by a number of body lines, and a trailer line. The uudecode(1) command will ignore any lines preceding the header or following the trailer. Lines preceding a header must not, of course, look like a header. The header line is distinguished by having the first 6 characters begin This is followed by a mode (in octal), and a string which names the remote file. A space character separates the three items in the header line. The body consists of a number of lines, each at most 62 characters long (including the trailing newline). These consist of a character count, followed by encoded characters, followed by a newline. The character count is a single printing character, and represents an inte- ger, the number of bytes the rest of the line represents. Such integers are always in the range from 0 to 63 and can be determined by sub- tracting the character space (octal 40) from the character. Groups of 3 bytes are stored in 4 characters, 6 bits per character. All are offset by a space to make the characters printing. The last line may be shorter than the normal 45 bytes. If the size is not a multiple of 3, this fact can be determined by the value of the count on the last line. Extra garbage will be included to make the character count a multiple of 4. The body is terminated by a line with a count of zero. This line consists of one ASCII space. The trailer line consists of end on a line by itself. SEE ALSO
uuencode(1), uudecode(1), uusend(1), uucp(1), mail(1) HISTORY
The uuencode file format appeared in BSD 4.0 . UUENCODE(5)