Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers Find pattern and replace using sed Post 303039143 by RudiC on Tuesday 24th of September 2019 06:18:26 AM
Old 09-24-2019
I can't see an "empty regular expression" in your attempt, except if $HOSTNAME doesn't expand. Do you get the quoted error message with above?
parser won't match your sample file, and the latter has > as third field.

Try
Code:
awk '{$4 = ($1 ~ /merge/)?"M":($1 ~ /parse/)?"P":"X"} 1' file
INDmerge1 <dns > M
INDparse2 <dns > P
IND2 <dns > X

This User Gave Thanks to RudiC For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find a pattern and replace using sed.

Hi I need to help on finding the below pattern using sed <b><a href="/home/document.do?assetkey=x-y-abcde-1&searchclause=photo"> and replace as below in the same line on the index file. <b><a href="/abcde.html"> thx in advance. Mari (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: maridhasan
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

SED Search Pattern and Replace with the Pattern

Hello All, I have a string "CP_STATUS OSSRC_R6_0_Shipment_R1H_CU AOM_901046 R1H_LLSV1_2008031", and I just want to extract LLSV1, but I dont get the expected result when using the sed command below. # echo "CP_STATUS OSSRC_R6_0_Shipment_R1H_CU AOM_901046 R1H_LLSV1_2008031" | awk '{print... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: racbern
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed: Find start of pattern and extract text to end of line, including the pattern

This is my first post, please be nice. I have tried to google and read different tutorials. The task at hand is: Input file input.txt (example) abc123defhij-E-1234jslo 456ujs-W-abXjklp From this file the task is to grep the -E- and -W- strings that are unique and write a new file... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: TestTomas
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

find a pattern and replace

i have a file which contains lines like this. intsrcrpttrn1099mctrl:export GRAPHPARM_AR="-input_code M302023" intsrcrpttrn1099mload:export GRAPHPARM_AR="-input_code M192023" intsrcrpttrn1099mload:export GRAPHPARM_AR="-input_code P192023" the value after -input_code starts with some alphabet... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: dr46014
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to replace the last pattern using sed?

myfile: AAAaaa BBBbbb CCCccc AAAeee DDDddd how to replace the last AAA as EEEEE using sed? like this: AAAaaa BBBbbb CCCccc EEEEEeee DDDddd (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: vistastar
14 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed help, Find a pattern, replace it with same text minus leading 0

HI Folks, I'm looking for a solution for this issue. I want to find the Pattern 0/ and replace it with /. I'm just removing the leading zero. I can find the Pattern but it always puts literal value as a replacement. What am I missing?? sed -e s/0\//\//g File1 > File2 edit by... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: SirHenry1
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed command to replace two character pattern with another pattern

Not able to paste my content. Please see the attachment :-( (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vivek d r
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed find/replace a pattern, but not this one..

I've got a file like so: ...lots of lines, etc. push "route 10.8.0.0 255.255.255.0" push "route 192.168.1.123 255.255.255.0" ...lots of lines, etc. I want to sed find/replace the IP address in the second line, whatever it is, with a new IP address, but I don't want to touch the first line.... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: DaHai
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed -- Find pattern -- print remainder -- plus lines up to pattern -- Minus pattern

The intended result should be : PDF converters 'empty line' gpdftext and pdftotext?xml version="1.0"?> xml:space="preserve"><note-content version="0.1" xmlns:/tomboy/link" xmlns:size="http://beatniksoftware.com/tomboy/size">PDF converters gpdftext and pdftotext</note-content>... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Klasform
9 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

sed replace pattern

I have a file with multiple lines, all in the same format. For each line, I need to replace the sequence of digits after the last : with a new value, but keep the single quote at the end of the line. Example: Input: ( two lines of file) Name: 'text1:200/text2:1.2.3.4' Name2:... (19 Replies)
Discussion started by: Beginner101
19 Replies
COLUMN(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 						 COLUMN(1)

NAME
column -- columnate lists SYNOPSIS
column [-tx] [-c columns] [-s sep] [file ...] DESCRIPTION
The column utility formats its input into multiple columns. Rows are filled before columns. Input is taken from file operands, or, by default, from the standard input. Empty lines are ignored. The options are as follows: -c Output is formatted for a display columns wide. -s Specify a set of characters to be used to delimit columns for the -t option. -t Determine the number of columns the input contains and create a table. Columns are delimited with whitespace, by default, or with the characters supplied using the -s option. Useful for pretty-printing displays. -x Fill columns before filling rows. ENVIRONMENT
The COLUMNS, LANG, LC_ALL and LC_CTYPE environment variables affect the execution of column as described in environ(7). EXIT STATUS
The column utility exits 0 on success, and >0 if an error occurs. EXAMPLES
(printf "PERM LINKS OWNER GROUP SIZE MONTH DAY " ; printf "HH:MM/YEAR NAME " ; ls -l | sed 1d) | column -t SEE ALSO
colrm(1), ls(1), paste(1), sort(1) HISTORY
The column command appeared in 4.3BSD-Reno. BUGS
Input lines are limited to LINE_MAX (2048) bytes in length. BSD
July 29, 2004 BSD