Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers Check if string contains substring surrounded by numbers Post 303038012 by yanive on Wednesday 21st of August 2019 10:38:33 AM
Old 08-21-2019
Check if string contains substring surrounded by numbers

Hi,

I have a process that generates strings.
I would like to check each string and search for substring which contains the letter 'E' surrounded by numbers (both sides of the letter 'E').

few examples:

AA4E7012A2 - contains E surrounded by numbers
FE18274012 - does not contain E surrounded by numbers
49EFCE8FC3 - does not contain E surrounded by numbers
F3DCD73EA1 - does not contain E surrounded by numbers
957FF564E7 - contains E surrounded by numbers

I tried few options of using the next check without much success: ^[[:digit:]]*[[:alpha:]]*[[:digit:]]*$

please advise.

Thanks,
YE

Last edited by rbatte1; 08-21-2019 at 01:25 PM.. Reason: Added ICODE tags

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

can i get a substring from a string?

for example, the string a is "abcdefg", can i get a substring "bcd" (from ato a) from string a? thank you (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: dell9
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

getting a substring from a string

hi all, I am trying to extract SUBSTRINGS out of a string using ksh. The string is "SAPR3K.FD0.FA.TJ.B0010.T050302" I tried using a= `expr substr $stringZ 1 2` which is giving me a syntax error, donno why?? any ideas why its not working?? I also tried echo "welcome" | awk '{... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: maradona
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to get the substring from the string

Hi All, Can anybody help me to get the substring from the given string. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Anshu
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

get substring from string

Hi All, Problem Description: XML_REP_REQUEST=`CONCSUB "$LOGIN" "SQLAP" "$RESP_NAME" "$USRNM" WAIT="Y" "CONCURRENT" "APPLICATION_SHORT_NAME" "CP_SHORT_NAME"` echo Report Request: $XML_REP_REQUEST --to print value in log file While execution the value of 'XML_REP_REQUEST' is 'Prozess... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: suman.g
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with string and substring also I/O

#!/bin/sh PRINTF=/usr/bin/printf PASSWD=/etc/passwd $PRINTF "Enter a UserID\n" read USERID if ; then $PRINTF "$USERID does not exist, please contact IT service\n" exit 1 fi USERHOME=`grep "^$USERID:" $PASSWD | awk -F : '{print $6}'` USERSHELL=`grep "^$USERID:"... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ikeQ
1 Replies

6. Programming

Check for a substring

Hi, I have a macro which I use with ROOT. In this macro I want to check if a part of string exist so I can ignore it inside a loop. So, inside a loop I want to have something like: if (string == "pre_ti_data_bdt*" || string == "pre_ti_data_nn*") continue;but of course I cannot use * in this... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: faizlo
11 Replies

7. Programming

check substring

hi everyone I have a C program where I have a line and I want to check if the line contains a string.The line is stored in a buffer.How can I do that? Can I consider the whole line as a string and check for a substring?And if so what's the most efficient way to achieve it? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vlm
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Substring check in IF condition in shell script

I want to check if the string has the substring in IF condition then process... i tried below but not working if ]; then ............. field can be "reserved1" ....reservedn / fillspaces1 ... fillspacesn (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: greenworld123
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Check if a string starts with certain values and ends with numbers

This is very basic. Yet Iam struggling to get the right pattern for my check. Apologize in advance to ask a very lame question. I have to validate if a value of the variable starts with "efgh" and followed by 6 numbers. Var1="efgh234567" The condition Iam trying to achieve is similar to... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: deepakwins
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extracting substring within string between 2 token within the string

Hello. First best wishes for everybody. here is the input file ("$INPUT1") contents : BASH_FUNC_message_begin_script%%=() { local -a L_ARRAY; BASH_FUNC_message_debug%%=() { local -a L_ARRAY; BASH_FUNC_message_end_script%%=() { local -a L_ARRAY; BASH_FUNC_message_error%%=() { local... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jcdole
3 Replies
CheckDigits::M09_001(3pm)				User Contributed Perl Documentation				 CheckDigits::M09_001(3pm)

NAME
CheckDigits::M09_001 - compute check digits for Euro notes SYNOPSIS
use Algorithm::CheckDigits; $euro = CheckDigits('euronote'); if ($euro->is_valid('X07738250357')) { # do something } $cn = $euro->complete('X0773825035'); # $cn = 'X07738250357' $cd = $euro->checkdigit('X07738250357'); # $cd = '7' $bn = $euro->basenumber('X07738250357'); # $bn = 'X0773825035' DESCRIPTION
ALGORITHM 1. Letters are replaced with their position in the alphabet ('A' = 1, ...). 2. The total of the digits of all numbers is computed. 3. This sum is taken modulo 9. 4. The check digit is the difference between 8 and the number of step 3. To validate the last digit of the total of the digits of all numbers inclusive check digit must be 8. METHODS is_valid($number) Returns true only if $number consists solely of numbers and the last digit is a valid check digit according to the algorithm given above. Returns false otherwise, complete($number) The check digit for $number is computed and concatenated to the end of $number. Returns the complete number with check digit or '' if $number does not consist solely of digits. basenumber($number) Returns the basenumber of $number if $number has a valid check digit. Return '' otherwise. checkdigit($number) Returns the checkdigit of $number if $number has a valid check digit. Return '' otherwise. EXPORT None by default. AUTHOR
Mathias Weidner, <mathias@weidner.in-bad-schmiedeberg.de> SEE ALSO
perl, CheckDigits, www.pruefziffernberechnung.de. perl v5.10.0 2008-05-17 CheckDigits::M09_001(3pm)