Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris Metastat shows state needs maintenance Post 303037807 by gull04 on Wednesday 14th of August 2019 02:57:32 AM
Old 08-14-2019
Hi prvnrk,

I'd suggest that your best approach here is to take a couple of steps back with this one if you can, where you have two options the way that I see this.

Option 1.

Regress the changes to the system and go with the original configuration, bring the system up and attempt to bring in the Nimble storage with your existing IBM storage still available and then use host mirroring to bring the Nimble disks into the mirror sets. This would prove that all is well with the system and allow you to prove that the Nimble storage is compatible with the installed system. Here you would create new meta devices and add them into the mirror set metainit d53 and metainit d54 once created you would then use metattach d5 d53 and metattach d5 d54 this would give you a fourway mirror. Once everything is mirrored up you can remove the original d51 and d52 devices and clear the storage from the OS.

Once you have the new mirrors silvered and working you can remove the old IBM disks from the mirrors, result is that the system has been migrated to the new storage and there is no outage to the application.

Option 2.

Remove the Nimble storage and bring the system up - obviously without the application being started, remediate any issues to give you a clean running server. Then following the standard process add the Nimble storage and configure the device tree and metadb with the new devices ( d5, d51 and d52 ), then you'll have to restore your original data and restart the application.

Of the two options I would definately go with the first, it's less disruptive to the system and follows a more logical progression. I'm making the assumption here that your SAN technology is switched fabric and not direct connect.

If you are using direct connect on the SAN then you would have to go a slightly different way, but both options are still open to you if you have sufficient fibre connections available.

Solaris Volume Manager (SVM) whilst fairly old is a well proven and robust tool, in some respects it's simplicity is it's greatest strength along with it's biggest limitation. In this case it would have made the migration to new disk a simple task, I have successfully used it to migrate storage platforms several times without significant issues.

Regards

Gull04

Last edited by gull04; 08-14-2019 at 04:06 AM.. Reason: More Info

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

SVM metastat -- needs maintenance

Running Solaris 9 with SVM. I'm not that familiar with it, but metastat output gives "needs maintenance" message on 2 of the mirrors. There are no errors in /var/adm/messages. What do I need to do to fix this error? Thanks. (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: dangral
14 Replies

2. Solaris

Help on metastat

hi all, can someone pls pass on your suggestion? Firs thing I am testing a script which checks for the pattern 'Needs Maintenance' from metastat output and prints some messages in the screen. So i need to simulate an error in mirrored disk for metastat to give this message 'Needs Maintenance'.... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: srirammad007
3 Replies

3. Solaris

Softpartition State: Errored in Command MetaStat

Hi people, I have on problem when execute the command METASTAT... d60: Soft Partition Device: d10 State: Errored Size: 12582912 blocks (6.0 GB) Someone help me? Thank you very much (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: denisgomes
4 Replies

4. Solaris

both mirrors in needs maintenance state.

Hi, Ii am facing the belwo problem: d50: Mirror Submirror 0: d30 State: Needs maintenance Submirror 1: d40 State: Needs maintenance Pass: 1 Read option: roundrobin (default) Write option: parallel (default) Size: 212176648 blocks (101 GB) d30:... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sag71155
3 Replies

5. Solaris

Metastat shows "maintenance" and "last-erred"

Hi All, Sorry to post a problem for my first post but I'm in a bit of a pickle at the minute! I have an Ultra45 connected to a Storedge 3100 series, 2 internal, 2 external disks with a db application running on the external disks. Now everything is working fine and we've had no downtime or... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: TheSteed
4 Replies

6. Solaris

How to clear maintenance state for apache2 server?

Can any one of you suggest me the method to get apache server in online from maintenance mode. I tried in the following way, but couldn't get that service to online. bash-3.00# svcs -a | grep apache legacy_run 9:51:55 lrc:/etc/rc3_d/S50apache offline 9:51:22... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sesha
3 Replies

7. Solaris

metastat |grep Needs

Dear, Required an script such that : If metastat |grep Needs , results in some output then this command to be executed for the same : opcmsg object=metastat a=OS msg_grp=OpC severity=critical msg_text="Need maintenance for the system $line" With regards, Mjoshi (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mjoshi87
3 Replies

8. Solaris

svcs command shows the state as disabled

Hi I need to export a directory named /sybase from my solaris machine via NFS. The svcs command shows the state as disabled. Please let me know how to export the directory. Once the directory is exported from the solaris machine it has to be mounted locally in an aix machine. Can some one... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: newtoaixos
2 Replies

9. AIX

Open firmware state to running state

Hi Admins, I am having a whole system lpar in open firmware state on HMC. How can I bring it to running state ? Let me know. Thanks. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: snchaudhari2
2 Replies

10. Solaris

SSH : Restarting too quickly, changing state to maintenance

Hi, I'm new to Solaris. I have an issue with ssh service. When I restart the service it exits with an exit status of 0 $svcadm restart svc:/network/ssh:default $echo $? 0 $ However, the service goes into maintenance mode after restart. I'm able to connect even though the service is in... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: maverick_here
3 Replies
sulogin(1M)						  System Administration Commands					       sulogin(1M)

NAME
sulogin - access single-user mode SYNOPSIS
sulogin DESCRIPTION
The sulogin utility is automatically invoked by init when the system is first started. It prompts the user to type a user name and password to enter system maintenance mode (single-user mode) or to type EOF (typically CTRL-D) for normal startup (multi-user mode). The user should never directly invoke sulogin. The user must have the solaris.system.maintenance authorization. The sulogin utility can prompt the user to enter the root password on a variable number of serial console devices, in addition to the tra- ditional console device. See consadm(1M) and msglog(7D) for a description of how to configure a serial device to display the single-user login prompt. FILES
/etc/default/sulogin Default value can be set for the following flag: PASSREQ Determines if login requires a password. Default is PASSREQ=YES. /etc/default/login Default value can be set for the following flag: SLEEPTIME If present, sets the number of seconds to wait before login failure is printed to the screen and another login attempt is allowed. Default is 4 seconds. Minimum is 0 seconds. Maximum is 5 seconds. Both su(1M) and login(1) are affected by the value of SLEEPTIME. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsr | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
auths(1), login(1), consadm(1M), init(1M), su(1M), attributes(5), msglog(7D) NOTES
By default, the root user has all authorizations. Granting the solaris.system.maintenance authorization to the Console User Rights Profile may have an undesirable side effect of granting the currently logged in user maintenance mode access. The solaris.system.maintenance authorization should be directly granted to appropri- ate users rather than through the Console User Rights Profile. SunOS 5.11 21 Aug 2008 sulogin(1M)