Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers Can we create any check-point feature in shell ? Post 303035606 by RudiC on Wednesday 29th of May 2019 09:19:46 AM
Old 05-29-2019
This question has been covered before in these fora; try searching for proposed solutions. This is one of the possible search results.
You could work with - let's call it - "status files". When a function has finished satisfactorily, touch a result file, and skip execution of the function if it exists, like
Code:
bkp ()          { touch ${FUNCNAME[0]}.done; }
logging ()      { touch ${FUNCNAME[0]}.done; }
dply ()         { touch ${FUNCNAME[0]}.done; }
fs_ck ()        { if false; then  touch ${FUNCNAME[0]}.done; else return $?; fi }
for FN in logging fs_ck bkp dply; do [ -f "${FN}.done" ] || { if ! ${FN}; then echo $?; break; fi; };  done

This will execute your functions in the desired order if the result file does not exist. For fs_ck it will fail, won't create the result file, and start over with fs_ck skipping the logging function. Give it a try and report back.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to check mount point connectivity in Unix?

I am working on an unix server which has a mount point of windows server in it. I just need to check about the connectivity of this mount point with the windows server. Please let me know what should be done for that. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: venkidhadha
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Check if input is an integer or a floating point?

Hiii I actually intent to check the integer or floating point number input by user i.e. 23, 100, 55.25, 12.50 ..etc. However, when someone input strings or alpha character, my program has to show invalid input.!! Is there any Unix shell script syntax can help me to check ? Thanking you (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: krishnampkkm
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

create file as variable for searching point

Hi Friends, I need expert help:), I have bellow script that function for searching string in multiple file, the script is working well. but I thing it still can be optimize since so many repetition in bellow command, where string that I marked BOLD italic is clue for what I am looking for... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: budi.mulya
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script for Server Mount Point space check

Does anybody have anything I can use to help me out with this one? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: lbone007
4 Replies

5. Solaris

archive logs mount point space check script

I have the below shell script which is checking /archlog mount point space on cappire(solaris 10) server. When the space usage is above 80% it should e-mail. When i tested this script it is working as expected. -------------------------------------------------------------------------... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: dreams5617
0 Replies

6. What is on Your Mind?

Speculative Shell Feature Brainstorming

Hi - little introductory post for this thread: The discussion started in the "What's your most useful shell?" poll thread and I think the discussion's gone on long enough that I don't want new posts related to that discussion to go there any more. It's a big discussion and it only gets bigger. ... (26 Replies)
Discussion started by: tetsujin
26 Replies

7. Red Hat

How to create local mount point at startup?

how to create local mount point at startup Filesystem GB blocks Free %Used Iused %Iused Mounted on xxxxxxxx 370.00 180.08 51% 24500 1% /test (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: karthik9358
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Check for decimal point and add it at the end if its not there using awk/perl

I have test.dat file with values given below: 20150202,abc,,,,3625.300000,,,,,-5,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, 20150202,def,,,,32.585,,,,,0,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, 20150202,xyz,,,,12,,,,,0.004167,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, My expected output is shown below: ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nvk_vinoth
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How to create a new mount point with 600GB and add 350 GBexisting mount point? IN AIX

How to create a new mount point with 600GB and add 350 GBexisting mount point Best if there step that i can follow or execute before i mount or add diskspace IN AIX Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Thilagarajan
2 Replies
lockfile-progs(1)						 Lockfile programs						 lockfile-progs(1)

NAME
lockfile-progs - command-line programs to safely lock and unlock files and mailboxes (via liblockfile). SYNOPSIS
mail-lock [--use-pid] [--retry retry-count] mail-unlock mail-touchlock [--oneshot] lockfile-create [--use-pid] [--retry retry-count] [--lock-name] filename lockfile-remove [--lock-name] filename lockfile-touch [--oneshot] [--lock-name] filename lockfile-check [--use-pid] [--lock-name] filename DESCRIPTION
Lockfile-progs provides a set a programs that can be used to lock and unlock mailboxes and files safely (via liblockfile): mail-lock - lock the current user's mailbox mail-unlock - unlock the current user's mailbox mail-touchlock - touch the lock on the current user's mailbox lockfile-create - lock a given file lockfile-remove - remove the lock on a given file lockfile-touch - touch the lock on a given file lockfile-check - check the lock on a given file By default, the filename argument refers to the name of the file to be locked, and the name of the lockfile will be filename .lock. How- ever, if the --lock-name argument is specified, then filename will be taken as the name of the lockfile itself. Each of the mail locking commands attempts to lock /var/spool/mail/<user>, where <user> is the name associated with the effective user ID, as determined by via geteuid(2). Once a file is locked, the lock must be touched at least once every five minutes or the lock will be considered stale, and subsequent lock attempts will succeed. Also see the --use-pid option and the lockfile_create(3) manpage. The lockfile-check command tests whether or not a valid lock already exists. OPTIONS
-q, --quiet Suppress any output. Success or failure will only be indicated by the exit status. -v, --verbose Enable diagnostic output. -l, --lock-name Do not append .lock to the filename. This option applies to lockfile-create, lockfile-remove, lockfile-touch, or lockfile-check. -p, --use-pid Write the current process id (PID) to the lockfile whenever a lockfile is created, and use that pid when checking a lock's validity. See the lockfile_create(3) manpage for more information. This option applies to lockfile-create, lockfile-remove, lockfile-touch, and lockfile-check. -o, --oneshot Touch the lock and exit immediately. This option applies to lockfile-touch and mail-touchlock. When not provided, these commands will run forever, touching the lock once every minute until killed. -r retry-count, --retry retry-count Try to lock filename retry-count times before giving up. Each attempt will be delayed a bit longer than the last (in 5 second incre- ments) until reaching a maximum delay of one minute between retries. If retry-count is unspecified, the default is 9 which will give up after 180 seconds (3 minutes) if all 9 lock attempts fail. EXAMPLES
Locking a file during a lengthy process: lockfile-create /some/file lockfile-touch /some/file & # Save the PID of the lockfile-touch process BADGER="$!" do-something-important-with /some/file kill "${BADGER}" lockfile-remove /some/file EXIT STATUS
0 For lockfile-check this indicates that a valid lock exists, otherwise it just indicates successful program execution. Not 0 For lockfile-check a non-zero exit status indicates that the specified lock does not exist or is not valid. For other programs it indicates that some problem was encountered. SEE ALSO
maillock(3) touchlock(3) mailunlock(3) lockfile_create(3) lockfile_remove(3) lockfile_touch(3) lockfile_check(3) AUTHOR
Written by Rob Browning <rlb@defaultvalue.org> 0.1.12 2008-02-10 lockfile-progs(1)